Prince has died. R.I.P

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Prince died over two months after his ex Vanity. He honored her in one of his concerts. A giant and a great talent that is so unique in which he combined Little Richard,Jimi Hendrix,James Brown,Stevie Wonder,and his rival Micheal Jackson into one person. He pushed the envelope and won. Prince will be sorely missed.

2. Soulthinker

When I first heard the news I thought it was someone who worked for Prince at his estate until it was confirmed. I was shocked.

3. Soulthinker

On TMZ one of last photos of Prince coming out of the Walgreens Wednesday evening. It will be a shocker if the tests show drugs.

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Phaedra Ellis help prince get his name back

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember when the film and album Purple Rain made Prince into a rock star, he had a slight edge over Michael Jackson, whose Thriller album was still very popular. At some point in that time, Prince's songs were gaining a lot of traction and airplay on radio stations more so than Michael Jackson's songs(and Michael had a falling out with Paul McCartney over buying The Beatles music after Paul advised that he should invest his money in music. How ironic).

6. naija4real

naija4real New Member

I first met him on the cover page of a magazine in one of those open magazine kiosks on a street in a rural town in Nigeria. I remember flipping through the mag and noticed he was being compared to Michael Jackson. Later I would watch him sing "When Doves Cry" on TV when I was vacationing in Lagos. I guess from then on I became a fan. And thereafter made sure I read news about him. It was from those readings I learnt there was a place called Minneapolis.

He will be greatly missed. RIP, Prince.

7. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

He was the last link to the old school of musical genius that we take for granted.

An end to an era.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

So true. Music is fading away. Earth wind and fire (Maurice white is gone. ) and Glen frye is gone. Its over

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Country/Western music legend Merle Haggard also passed away recently.

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Music I grew up on reminds me of each period of my life. Its like the bookmarks in my life so I can cue the stories. Example...when tom Jones remade "kiss" I was in Germany. I heard it in the chow line. I said "its OK but the original is in its own space and can't be touch. No one could do it better".

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

And David Bowie.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Prince had a concert and he performed Purple Rain in sign language.
    At another concert, Michael Jackson stepped up onstage and the two performed a duet of Prince's "Baby, I'm A Star."

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yeah...Sinead Occonor Nothing Compares to you.. Chaka Khan l feel for you...a few others did his covers and they were propelled further. His songs were golden.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Oh yes.

On GMA they said "in his early years he opened for the rolling stones and he was booed off stage"

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

He wrote The Bangles hit Manic Monday. It was ab attempt to date singer Susanna Hoffa. Hoffa said no. But Prince gave her the song anyway.Cyndi Lauper did s cover of Prince's When You Were Mine(another singer recorded it, also).

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Nothing compares to you and I feel for you ate the only two remade songs that were really comparable to princes original.

Did prince remake erotic city from George clinton

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

IDK. Goodlove...^^^^ tell us...wow at getting booed..smh

I think many of us did. I knew Tam would be heartbroken...We all are.
    Also l thought of Tarshi and Saty. This has hit everyone hard...I've seen reporters in tears. :(

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He also gave us(out) his new Album CD as we entered the concert. We were thrilled. He was so chatty and personable and witty.
    MJ and Prince's songs were the soundtrack to many of our lives.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Great stuff!

Hey SilverSmith...where did your Mayte post and story go? I didn't finish reading it all (her son quote had me tearing up).
    I also wanted to show someone it...can you repost it?

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yeah l knew that...but I thought he did date Hoffa. And Sheena Easton. And Kim Bassinger.

Wonder how Appollonia and Morris Day are feeling. In fact, the whole Revolution. Sheila E gave her respects...she flew to Minnesota to get some answers, she said last night.

Great tidbit about MJ joinining him on stage. MJ asked Prince to duet with him on Bad..but Prince read the first lyric line and declined, lol.

There are also thousands of unreleased Prince songs that will eventually be released, but not by him, he said ( obviously referring to when he passes). The magic that was him will continue...