who is overrated

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Dec 25, 2014.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

And Wu was about that life. Certain dudes no matter how much they make will always be grimy ie Old DB

2. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Much love for Red and Kass!!!

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

This. West Coast were serious with it.

5. The Dark King

You ain't lying. New York Philly Jersey has a lot of disorganized street dudes but they weren't a network like the crips or bloods which every West Coast street dude was a part of so I could have beef in Bedstuy and just avoid there and I'm good. Just hang out in the South Bronx or Queens or Harlem till shit died down.
    I'm L.A. if you have beef with someone from the Bloods you're done unless you're down with the crips. Once the word is out it's open season on you until the shit is resolved. We got crews out here but they really for gangs out there.

6. samson1701

Yeah, I learned that all about it when I moved out here. They are dead serious about that gang shit. Its life for them.

My favorite color to wear is loud red for my shirts. I don't wear them here. Only if I'm traveling to other states or something. My old cleaning girl was damn near in tears talking me out of wearing a red shirt when I first got here. I didn't realize it was that serious. But, I guess it is.

But, on a lighter note, nobody got love for Rakim in their top 5? Or is he too old school?

7. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

1991 ain't too old school. Don't see why 1986 would be too old school

8. The Dark King

Nah he was dope and definitely one of the pioneers but doesn't hold up for me. I judge my top 5 by how it stacks up to all other music. Can today's artists hold a candle to these dudes. That pseudo beef between Em and Drake was a clear example for me. Back when dudes like 50 Jay Em or even Pac were on the throne they would NEVER back down from a lyrical challenge. Win lose or draw men were men back then and weren't afraid to prove it. So one it's stepping up to the challenge and two being able to meet the challenge. Nothing in Rakim's catalogue made me feel like he could take out Jay Nas Em Big or Jada

9. samson1701

I see where you're coming from. But, then you have to ask yourself, was anyone coming for Rakim back then? If not why?

He was definitely a heavyweight. If no one stepped to him, was it because they where scared or just didn't view him as worth going after?

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

There wasn't any competition for him back then except for Kane. Both MCs were comfortable where they were so there wasn't really a need for a battle. Cool J could have gave him some competition, but I think he was on a hiatus at the time.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I do this too but I'm not sure if it is fair. Cool J was a damn good artist but he never would have said this after 1990 "Forget oreos eat Cool J cookies I'm bad" :smt005

12. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Oh rakim and Eric B is the shit. They are surely ground breaking in the game. Em has given them muuucccchhh respect to them .

See abovee Eric B and Rakim was just some bad ass mofo. The word play was off the chain. As far as recall everyone or a lot was copying his style. Kane was a bad ass so much respect.

No one showed love for public enemy? PE took it to the hoop and dunk it on mofo. That socially conscious rap was strong back in the day. The music is still relevant.

Today's rappers as a whole could not touch the rappers of the 80's and 90's

Hell y'all still can't fuck with grandmaster flash and the furious 5.

13. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Or "I'll crush you like a jelly bean....."

Cool j made some real fun joints. To me my favorites are "rock the bells'" and "momma said knock you out"

14. samson1701

Cool J was too busy with Kool Moe Dee. ...lol

15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Ha! Yup

16. The Dark King

He wore the crown and the only ones who could come after him were dudes like Krs1 and Big Daddy Kane maybe Eric B.
    The talent pool was shallow back then. Their lyrical game was ok but nothing to write home about. I also have to note kids who weren't even born when they were hot love Big love Pac Love Jay love Em love Nas. Me and my friends knew who dudes like Rakim and Eric B were but we wouldn't consume their music like that. It was good but none of them were dropping a BluePrint or an Illmatic or All Eyes on Me or The Marshall Mathers LP. They weren't dropping zone out albums like Ready to Die or Life After Death.

17. The Dark King

Of course it's fair that's how we can say MJ is the greatest ever even damn near 20 years after retirement.

If you're that dope you stand the test of time. Who is a better heavy weight than Mike Tyson a better performer than Michael Jackson better at hockey than Wayne Gretzki. Sl

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

All eyes on me =Fire!!
    I can dig it.

19. samson1701

Facts.

Another over rated celeb, to me, is Bella Hadid. She aiight. She always looks so got damm bored.

20. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Lol

Lol