International movies

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by Be-you-tiful86, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

The big blockbusters in movie theaters are mostly made in the US. Do you know any good movies not made in the US?

One very touching German movie which was even awarded with an Oscar is"The life of others"

Set in 1980s East Berlin, director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's debut feature (which earned an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film) provides an exquisitely nuanced portrait of life under the watchful eye of the state police as a high-profile couple is bugged. When a successful playwright and his actress companion become subjects of the Stasi's secret surveillance program, their friends, family and even those doing the watching find their lives changed too.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Lives_of_Others/70056425?mqso=80020215&partid=The_Lives_of_Others

2. DI

DI New Member

I loved the "Angel-a" movie by Luc Besson, "Knockin on heaven's door" (I guess it's a german movie...?) and lots of russian movies of course!:)

3. Be-you-tiful86

Oh I think Till Schweiger played on "Knockin' on heaven's door" .I watched it once but looong time ago :)

4. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Amores Perros (Mexico, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Angel-A was a great movie

A bunch of great Japanese horror movies I can't remember the names of.

Same goes for a couple Korean films.

Slumdog Millionaire seemed pretty good, never finished it.

Have seen a few really good movies from Mexico, thanks for my Mexican homie, but I can't remember all their names.

I've also seen some atrocious movies from Japan. Ichi the Killer and Gozu are not my suggestions to anyone.

I like independent films, so I end up watching a lot of movies from other countries.

5. Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords New Member

Suspiria is a good Italian horror movie by Dario Argento.

There are a bunch of good British movies that get overlooked too.

DH is right, there are some pretty good Japanese horror movies too, Battle Royal was pretty gruesome and Ring trilogy (japanese versions obviously) was good. In my opinion a little better than the US one.

6. Persephone

Persephone New Member

<3 J-horror. Even the campy ones. I used to be a big horror fan but then I got so disappointed by all the films coming out of Hollywood. It was like no one understood how to make a decent horror film anymore...and then I discovered a bunch of Japanese and Korean horror films and fell in love.

And yeah, Japanese versions of films are generally much better than their US remakes. But I also tend to like original versions of things more than remakes as well.

7. Be-you-tiful86

Oh do you know some Hollywood remakes of horror movies that I may know and compare to the Asian original? I loooove horror movies :)

8. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

I watch mostly International films, documentaries and shorts. i dont watch hollywood movies, and i like only Indie films from the US.

fav movies are from Sweden, France , Czech Republic and Spain and some Iranians and Israeli films

kieslowski, bergman, lars von triers, almodovar, louis malle, etc

9. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

Stupidly enough, I bought this film.
    I sat through all of it like '.........okay then.' It wasn't scary, the plot wasn't great, the acting was poor and even the gore was just...well, fake.
    My boyfriend got really excited when he saw that I had this film and thirty minutes into it he begged me to turn it off. It's one of those films that's just weird for the sake of being weird.

back on topic!
    My favourite foreign film is City of God(Cidade de Deus). Fantastic movie!
    I also really like J-horrors, Russian comedies from 70s/80s, Abre los Ojos, Y tu mamá también, La Haine, Amélie, Tsotsi etc. etc.
    There are a lot of great international movies around, actually. I try and see as many as I can.

10. Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords New Member

Urgh, it can't be as bad as "Cat in the Brain". Not really sure why I bought that, some dodgy Italian zombie/gore flick. My friend told me it was brilliant. Just awful.

I should have guessed from the cover...

[​IMG]

11. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

Ahahaha!
    I can do one worse.... Ankle Biters.
    [​IMG]
    The tag line is 'Three feet tall! Two inch fangs!'
    I actually sat through it.

12. FG

FG Well-Known Member

That is my favorite genre - especially Asian horror flicks - the Japanese are really good at making it creepy. There are some Thai and Chinese flicks as well that are really creepy.

I have a special weakness for really bad horror movies, campy stuff that makes you laugh. There was a time in the 70s with all the grindhouse low budget movies where you could have a laugh at like seeing the sound boom in cuts (a trademark of a horror move producer I lost the name of).. or tire marks after large spiders and such - love it:)

Then, everything Akira Kurosawa made.

13. Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords New Member

Hahah, I have some many cheap horror film dvds. They're funny but pretty awful.

14. Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords New Member

Ohhhh dear! That looks so damn bad! :rolleyes: Maybe so bad it's good?

15. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Right up my alley then! cheapandawful:)
    love it!!!!

16. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

Of the films by & for the world outside of the United States that I have seen, my top 5 faves (Merely an "A"-List, you know..) hafta be:

"La Vita E' Bella" (Life Is Beautiful) - Italy

"Zwartboek" (Black Book) - Nederlands

"Woehu Caanglong" (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) - China

"Gongfu" (Kung Fu Hustle) - China

"Biodagar" (Movie Days) - Iceland

"Suzanne" - Canada

There are *others*, of course...but those were...and are....my all-time TOP faves.

OpinionsCartoonStudios@Yahoo.Co.UK

17. AdventurSum

AdventurSum New Member

i saw this movie by accident and was thoroughly pleased. the "comedy" aspect to it blended tight with the over-the-top martial arts.

18. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

The promo poster called it a mix of Jackie Chan meeting Buster Keaton mixed in with Quentin Tarantino & Bugs Bunny.

On that I'm inclined to heartily agree....

19. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I think one of the best non US films is one called Battle Royale a Japanese film, where they have selected the worst kids in Japan to fight it out on an Island, it's pretty gruesome but excellent, subtitled but after a while you don't notice as it's such a great movie.
    There is also a Battle Royale 2 which isn't as good as the 1st movie but it's ok,
    the girl that plays Mitsuko a bloodthirsty student who embraces killing to win, is the same girl that played the crazy schoolgirl GoGo in "Kill Bill" when Uma goes to kick Lucy Liu's arse.

20. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

A *Dark Horse* entry from Yours Truly:

"Das Boot" (The Boat) - Believe it or not...*not* my 1st exposure to the works of Wolfgang Peterson (That honour goes to the U.S.-filmed "Outbreak")...but it's a *great* one.

Sure, it's understood that the 'protagonists' here are the HEAVIES of WWII...but the story is *so* well-executed....that you actually HAVE to show concern for the blighters in the sub....

Even though they all got what was coming in the very last seconds at the end...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010