Is Christianity African American's get out of jail free card?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by 4north1side2, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

and for what reasons do you believe this? To be clear: this isn't questioning you in a slighting manner, just curious.

2. z

z Well-Known Member

No Christianity is not holding you down, get out there hustle bustle & get your shit done. God adds to those who work hard & pray hard. Not lazy asses who sit around & want all the blessing in the world.

3. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Because, as I've told BBW already, I can't look at the world around me, the beauty of nature, the complexity of human life - a newborn baby, for example (and a healthy one, at that) - and believe that those things happened by chance or by whatever scientific explanation is popular. I see and experience that and I believe in a Master Creator. He created me, I didn't create the idea of Him.

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

That's your view. Many people who believe in a loving, powerful God, experience things they never dreamed they would do. Things they can't even explain. Things far greater than they could ever imagine, and that go beyond human capability.

5. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

Sorry, I didn't read through the thread.

Do you believe that people, in a state of innocent ignorance, created deities and explanations for occurrences that were utterly unexplainable during their time?

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Not to mention, creates an atmosphere of fear and self-guilt for being who they are. It's a killer beyond reasoning. But, to be fair...there are those who practice their beliefs earnestly and within the confines of what's necessary to lead a good life.

I do admire your convictions and it's great to see that you're not a hollowed shell wrapped in secret misery. But you have to consider that, perhaps, when we think of things that are "supernatural"...at least from progress of reasoning, we learn that things are not as mystical or supernatural as you want to believe. There's a fine line to draw between reasonable belief and unbridled delusion.

However, I do see that you accept the fact that you exercise a belief and you don't push it down on others. And that, I guess, shows that you wear your faith in your heart and for that dear, I embrace you. :)

7. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd have to say that's true, because the Bible talks about people worshipping other gods, and of course, other religions have their own deities. I see where you're going with this....

For me, Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship with a living Person, who lived, who died for me, and who conquered death. I don't come to Him without Him first calling me. And I have the choice to choose Him or reject Him.

I'm not going to tell someone else what they should or should not believe. BBW and I are at extreme opposite ends of this argument. But I respect his beliefs and (most of the time!) he respects mine. I can only live out what I believe. The proof is in the pudding...

The Bible says that one day, every knee (of the one who believes and the one who doesn't) will bow and every tongue (of the believer as well as the unbeliever) will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Personally, I'd rather be one of the ones who believes in Him. If I'm wrong in my belief and I bought into a bunch of fairy tales and those who don't believe in Him are right, no harm, no foul. But if I believed the truth and they had the chance but chose not to....let's just say, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

8. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Who says we can't question him? I think it's our motive behind our questions that's important. When you were a child, were you afraid to ask your parent(s) questions? Especially if you wanted understanding? Most children (in healthy families anyway) have a comfortable enough relationshp with their parents or guardians that they can ask questions and expect to get answers (unless they are just being sassy). God even tells us in James 1:5 that if we need wisdom we only need to ask, and it will be given to us generously and without reproach.

9. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

Honestly, how much does this affect your conviction.

10. rdubya86

rdubya86 New Member

Um I really don't care but if I had to use keen logic I would say he was middle eastern/mediterranian because of him being a jew and abrahamic religions having beginnings in those areas.

11. rdubya86

rdubya86 New Member

Oh lord there goes Kemet. I'm done brother, I respect your views though. I was once into that kinda stuff with my dad being with the BPP in Oakland and my mom being part of SNCC, but I grew out of that stuff. Preach on though brother.

12. DJ_1985

DJ_1985 New Member

That's a bit egocentric, don't you think? It's very hard for humans to believe that we're not the end-all-be-all of existence. Isn't that why the Church believed that the sun revolved around the earth, when in fact, it was the opposite? On this planet we are undeniably the highest life forms and that tends to go to our heads - always has. It takes humility (which Christians claim to possess in abundance) to consider the possibility that your death may be as inconsequential as that of an ant.

13. DJ_1985

DJ_1985 New Member

I totally agree. I get just as annoyed with blacks trying to Afrocentrize the Middle East as I do with racist whites trying to Eurocentrize it. For me, it doesn't matter what race Jesus was because I wouldn't worship him either way.

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

No, it's really not that hard. At least I don't find it to be. To be sure, I can be just as self-centered as the next person, but I don't for a moment think it's all about me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

It doesn't. It's just an explanation for those who tell me the Bible is just a bunch of fairy tales and God doesn't exist.

16. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God. John 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

The story of creation and Noah's ark, for instance, to me, are illustrations of a truth or a real event. Other religions have similar stories to explain creation and the flood.

17. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

You do see why that isn't an convincing explanation, no? For those who aren't affected by the eternal lake of fire fear tactic that is.

18. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

But that's my whole point, Nebs. IF the Bible is true, it says that one day, EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Even those "unaffected by the lake of fire fear tactic." According to the word of God, every person will have to give an account, will stand before the judgement seat and give their reason for why they did or did not accept the gift of Christ's death and resurrection. IF the Bible is true.

I choose to believe that it is true. If I'm wrong, and I've lived my life by the Bible in vain, what harm is there in that? I die and there is no hereafter, my body and my spirit just cease to be. No harm, no foul. I tried to live my life based on wisdom and values that hopefully made me a better person. But, if I'm right in my belief, I would rather stand before God and thank him for calling me unto himself, offering me the gift of eternal life and knowing that I will indeed have it with him, instead of being seperated from him for eternity.

I don't want to be as one who doesn't believe, who according to the Bible, IF it's true, has to stand before God and tell him why I chose not to believe in him, chose not to accept the gift of eternal life, chose not to accept his Son.

None of us really know until the day our body quits on us, whether there truly is an afterlife. If there is a chance to have eternal life with God (because I truly believe that our spirits live on after our bodily death. But, do they live in communion with God, or seperated from him for eternity?), I will choose that over eternal seperation from him.

You say that there are those who are unaffected by the eternal lake of fire fear tactic. I hope for their sake then, that the Bible is wrong and I'm wrong in my belief of it. But if the Bible is right........I will be eternally glad I believed it.

PS I equate my relationship with God more like one a child has with his parents. Parents know the big picture. They know better what is best for their child before the child is mature enough to make decisions. If the child has a healthy respect for his parents he will believe in them, trust them and obey them out of respect and love rather than fear. Although fear does come into play at times. Fear of punishment keeps every child on the right path at one time or another. But it's not the motivating factor in a healthy relationship. Love and respect are. Same with a healthy marriage. We want to please our partner, we do things we know will make them happy, foster good communication, etc. and we refrain from things we know would be disrespectful towards them or make them angry or jeopardize the relationship. If we're tempted to cheat, if we love our partner, we resist the temptation out of fear of losing what we love. So while fear is a component, it's not the basis for maintaining a right relationship. The same principles are in effect for one who loves and serves God.

19. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

Fair enough

but my brows are always raised when I see the classic, I wouldn't want to be them, but that's a different discussion

Honestly, I'd like to have the mental reassurance of knowing there is an omnipresent protector, a cover if you will, to look after me whenever I ask for help or when I'm in a precarious situation. Perhaps there is.

20. DJ_1985

DJ_1985 New Member

So...if every knee is going to bow and everyone will accept Christ (willingly or by force), then why does Hell even exist?