Game of Thrones & GOT Spinoffs

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Max Mosley, May 26, 2011.

1. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Didn't he say the 5th book was going to be the last? I hope there is plenty to come, but we might be retired by the time he completes the series. Lol

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

He originally was only going to do four books with a five year time span occurring within the story between the third & fourth books. The gap was to allow both the younger characters, primarily the Stark children & Dani's dragons to age and be more central to what was to be the finale of the saga. But as the books were released and started to become popular plus his adding of more characters to the story he realized he would have to do at least three additional books to do the story and many of the characters justice. And of course he did away with the five year gap in the story

3. FG

FG Well-Known Member

We still might be retired by the time the saga is done. I want the books now! Lol

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah. Doesn't help that he likes writing 15 & 16 hundred page story manuscripts. Did you know that the first two books (A Game of Thrones & A Clash of Kings) were actually suppose to be one big story to itself until his editors convinced him to split it for it to publish & sell?

5. FG

FG Well-Known Member

I read that, and, man, am I glad he was convinced! I looooovvvveeeeeeeeeee this ish! Can't get enough!

6. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

Which was better? episode 4 or 5?

I have adopted a viewing schedule of every other weekend so I can get my G-O-T fix with 2-hour episodes beginning at 8:00 p.m. eastern via HBO ON DEMAND - try it out because the 1-hour episode is too damn brief. Hope Tywin Lannister gets to successfully fastrack his offspring as he plans within the next 2 or 3 episodes

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick, because I do like the series overall, that being said I do wish there were some better Black men characters. I could be wrong but out of the only ones I can recall, there was a pirate who loots other ships and ports, a complete fraud who was passing himself off as a rich guy to try to trick Danerys, and now the new guy who was a mindless drone who was chosen as the leader for Danerys' army who's name is "Grey Worm". Of course there has not been even a hint of IR, while it seems like almost every other character is getting busy as often as possible. Ok, feel better now, will get off soapbox...

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Does the guy she was married to count?

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Khahl Drogo? Definitely not a blonde hair Lannister, but still would not call him Black.
    [​IMG]

10. The Dark King

Fair enough. You forgot about the richest man in Cath who was caught in bed with that white woman then locked in the vault.

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That is who I was referring to when I said the rich guy who was a fraud, remember the vault was empty when he purported it was filled with riches. I don't remember him being in bed with a white woman, I only caught bits and pieces of that episode, glad to hear it though...

Ah, found the scene, of course there is no IR romance/sex shown

[YOUTUBE]5ixeVbrMW-o[/YOUTUBE]

12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Two of those black male characters weren't even black in the actual books. The third (The rich guy) was actually gay in the book and not trying to get it on with Danerys or her maiden. So in some ways you can considere yourself fortunate that this show has upped the black male presence.

Truth is you are setting yourself up for disappointment to expect interesting black male characters in the most white of all genres: the Fantatsy novel/TV show/movie. While I would love to see such works brightened by more characters of different hues in the end I cannot fault a writer for his/hers vision. Especially considering when the story takes place in a fantastical, European Middle ages type of setting.

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Have not read the books so did not know the character was written as gay, interesting. I hear what you are saying regarding the genre, that being said it is important to speak out on such matters. I remember the outrage regarding the first Star Wars movie (episode 4), there was 0% diversity, that led to Lando being in the subsequent movies. I actually wrote an email to HBO, stating what I said in my original post, small gesture for sure, but who knows, if enough of us do that it may just make a difference, after all $green$ speaks the loudest of any color.

14. The Dark King

Then you have white people outraged that certain entertainment sources are being "pc" ie Thor and The Hunger Games.

15. Stumper

Stumper New Member

To be a wet blanket, why does anyone care how many characters are black? Would it improve the show in any way? I think that's why people get pissed off about stuff being PC...it's the highest rated show on TV right now. If your so concerned about demographics in a show "Meet the Browns" and "House of Payne" are up your alley...

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

My point was not how many characters, but how they are portrayed, media images are powerful and can further ingrain stereotypes and bigotry, which are primary reasons why I don't support much of Tyler Perry's offerings.

17. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

18. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Show is boring.

19. blacknerd33

blacknerd33 New Member

read the first 4 book love it theon grejoy a boss. and the boltons house bolton off the chain

20. chamber

chamber Active Member

I don't have a problem with how black people are portrayed in the show. I think if people have a problem they are probably projecting their own ethnic stereotypes and predjudices onto the characters rather than the show makers intentionally trying to show black people in a negatively light.

The show is based on a ongoing book series so it wouldn't really make sense to just shove random black characters into the show. They have already made characters that were not black in the books black in the show when it was possible.

Considering that you have white characters who are murders, engage in incest, child killing, rape, castration, forced marriage, sadism, lying, cheating and so on the few black characters on the show don't even come off that bad.