Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So based on your reading of Kurzweil what are your thoughts on the future? Promising or doom?

2. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

If you're asking do I foresee a machine takeover, the answer is I can't be confident either way. A lot of people who think they understand evolution have no idea how radically things have changed over the past 30 years. Ever since game theory and evo-devo (evolution-development) took over at the turn of the century, anthropologists now have to explain why a question like nature vs nurture is no longer relevant. Think about it, computers routinely beat us in games we designed ourselves, including Jeopardy! Kurzweil piles on, in a sense, taking the neocortex as the pattern-recognizing module that it is, and showing its possible there could be a You I and You II some time in the future.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

You gotta wonder is it really a youII since you'll continue to evolve while the machine is stuck at the you that was created at that point. Not to mention a machine can't experience pain or pleasure which is root of our definition of self.

4. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

:smt023

[​IMG]

Book 1 of 3 of the 'In Me' series.

[​IMG]

Anyone into physical anthropology, genetics, evolutionary primatology, etc. and who like sci-fiesque fiction would enjoy this book IMO.

5. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Seeing as Anthropology is my background, I was curious. The blurb on Amazon.com makes it sound almost like Planet of the Apes. Is it like that?

6. Tamstrong

Not really. Some of the reviews I read say that it'd make a good prequel for Planet of the Apes though.

7. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

"The Game: Penerating The Secret Society of Pickup Artists" by Neil Strauss

"Family Power: The True Story of How The First Family of Taekwondo Made Olympic History" by Mark Lopex, Steven Lopez, Diana Lopez, & Jean Lopez

"Iceman: My Fighting Life" by Chuck Liddell

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A 4 out of 5 stars read.

[​IMG]

A 5 out of 5 stars read.

[​IMG]

A 5 out of 5 stars read.

9. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

As my name suggests I love Fantasy books ... so the last 3 I read were all from Sherrilyn Kenyon.

10. Tamstrong

11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to re-read this ready for the above and it still scared me 2nd time round.
    [​IMG]

12. Saint

Saint Member

"March of Time and Skin" - Jeff Stewart

"Full Black" - Brad Thor

"On Love" - Alain De Botton

13. interim

interim New Member

1. 50 shades of grey... it was worst book i ever read....
    2. stephen king - carrie .. wanted to read the book before watching movie
    3. stephen king - skeleton crew

14. Tamstrong

15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

16. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

^^^^
    I read "Prey" a few years ago. It's a great book and brings up some pretty scary concepts and situations. It really makes you think.

I've been reading Clive Cussler book after Clive Cussler book lately.

I just love his adventure stories and he always ties it into an historical event which always fascinates me.

17. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

I read Orhan Pamuk's "Museum of Innocence" recently, which I both loved and hated. Which I guess in the end means I loved it...

[​IMG]

The fascinating thing about this book is that the author has actually built/constructed/put together a real life museum in Turkey based on the book. The book and the characters are fiction, so essentially the museum is fiction as well... It's just so fascinating - I am desperate to go!

18. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Haven't been reading much lately. Currently reading through "Manuscript found in Accra".

19. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Just finished reading this

[​IMG]

The male character reminds me a little of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.
    A very refreshing book about how love can't be planned, it finds you when and where you don't expect it.

20. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member