Are we allowing social media to takeover our dating lives?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by qwils86, Jul 13, 2014.

1. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

How do you feel somebody out or pickup on their vibes strictly online?

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I think it's okay in moderation, for use as a community bulletin board of sorts, or for keeping up with far-flung groups of friends. However, I have noticed people tend to idealize themselves online and it has an addictive, almost hypnotic quality to it that makes people more vulnerable to suggestion.

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

dating life... you mean entire social life...i agree with stizzy, social interaction is a lost art...

4. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

True

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I agree. The interaction is so stylized that you can never know if it's real or Memorex. And there's something hypnotic about those glowing screens that turns you into a junkie, fiending for that interaction.

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

lol

7. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Aside from the use of the term "broad", I agree with Jaisee.

There are way too many wackadoodle people out there.

The less personal information they have on you, like where they can find you between the hours of 9-5 M-F, is probably best until you get to know the person better.

That being said, a simple piece of paper with a phone number and a non-trackable (like not a work email) email address would be better than a business card.

Screw social media! Why would I want to give a complete stranger my Facebook, etc information before my phone number? How do I know the guy isn't crazy and now he has access to my friends and pictures. YIKES!

People are WAY too trusting nowadays.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

true true

9. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

I think instagram is for narcissistic people cus its all about pictures and no substance :cool:

10. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

I met my fair share of crazies :???:

11. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

:smt043 true, they want to feel validated from the amount of likes and followers they get

12. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly! I can block him in all of 4 seconds on my phone if he gets creepy...no way in hell I'm giving some stranger access to my pics of family and friends (and my kids!!). Hell.No. My FB/ig are family/friends only...no acquaintances, no friends of friends and no randoms!

13. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

You broads are being stupid. All of your personal information is easily accessed by everyone thanks to websites like spokeo.com

Type in your full name and or phone number, get back to me with the results.

14. RaiderLL

I'm not paying the two dollars to see if it lists my correct address lol. I get your point but I'm not so worried about him figuring out where I work or live...security is on site both places 24/7 lol. I'm more concerned with strangers having access to my personal photos (family, friends, kids) and personal conversations with those family/friends. That's why I won't share fb/ig info with random guys I meet. I'm sure it works great for some people, it's just not something I'm comfortable with.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

The lie detector determined..... THIS IS A LIE
    Lol girls love to cupcake with a dude they're feeling.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

the upside for online dating sites are
    you will potentially meet people you may not otherwise meet.

save on time as far as screening people out.

downside

people can fake you ....hell people fake alot anyway.

inability to get a vibe over the computer.....however you email them enuff you may be able to get a read.

you can misinterprete what is said over the net/email....so avoid sarcassm because it will mess you up

17. RaiderLL

Lol true but not in long drawn out phone calls ;)

18. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Spokeo lists everything about you and I mean everything. 2 months ago when someone showed me that website it was free. it even had my fake Facebook attached to my name.

[​IMG]

Y'all be safe on these Internet's.

19. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Broads? Really? How charming. :smt009

There are tons of sites where you can find out any information you want on a person...for a fee. Some are larger than others (it usually depends on what info you want on them).

This is the reason I wait to give a guy my last name.

20. satyr

satyr New Member