The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Urgent: Stop Plans to Euthanize Excalibur! Dogs Don't Spread Ebola

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/796/...antine-or-isolation-rather-than-sacrifice-it/

Spanish authorities are planning to euthanize Excalibur the dog because his owner is a nurse and was infected with Ebola. But dogs can't spread Ebola. Sign this petition to demand that Spanish authorities stop plans to kill Excalibur the dog.

Excalibur's owner, Teresa Romero, is a Spanish nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola. She and her husband have been quarantined, but now out of fear Spanish authorities want to kill her beloved pet.

Ebola is causing authorities to act in irrational ways: There are no documented cases of dogs passing the Ebola virus on to people. So why should this dog be killed?

It would be much easier to isolate or quarantine the dog just as they have with Teresa's husband. If this woman were to die, the dog which has accompanied them for so many years would be an important emotional support for her husband. This is not "just" a dog, for this couple he is one of the family.

Please sign the petition and save the dog!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/796/...antine-or-isolation-rather-than-sacrifice-it/

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Too late. They killed Excalibur yesterday morning. Hundreds of Demonstrators tried to block the door. 300, 000 signed the petition. Very emotional and sad. :(

4. Unique4ever

You gotta be kidding me? Please say it ain't so.
    Sad is really sad news.... :smt085
    Why are people so fucking ignorant when it comes to the life of an animal?

5. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Looks like happy bacon, no for real, I considered getting a "tea cup" pig, but they are expensive. I will rescue one when it becomes available, should be a good playmate for my chihuahua the smallest of my four.

I don't know if you are vegetarian because of the whole animal aspect, and looking to be vegan, but maybe consider a plant based diet for extreme health benefits.

6. Unique4ever

Yes, I became a vegetarian when I was 16 because of my love for animals.
    I'm not a vegan though (yet).

7. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Plant based is different than vegan, it's traction now stems from staving of chemicals and cancers. For an easy entertaining brief, take a look at Forks Over Knives on Netflix if you have it.

8. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Just a reminder for anyone who owns black cats or knows someone who does, the assholes out there who like to hurt black cats tend to be worse during Halloween season, so please, be sure to do whatever you can to keep them safe from harm.

[​IMG]

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Good heads up Tam, you are seriously awesome for raising this awareness!

10. Tamstrong

Thanks, Loki. :freehug: A lot of people don't realize how common it is for black cats to be targeted based on stupid superstion or the novelty of Halloween or downright meanness. I took in a couple a while back that were going to be put down because no one would take them since they were black. They're mad at me right now for bringing them indoors, but they'll just have to get over it. I don't want anything to happen to them.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thanks heaps for the reminder. Totally overlooked it this year. Have a friendly and beautiful, green-eyed black cat that was a stray and she is indoor/outdoor. Cleopatra thanks you for looking out for her.

12. Tamstrong

You & Cleopatra are very welcome. ;)

13. Unique4ever

These Injured Koalas Really Need Your Mittens

Recent wildfires in Australia have left many marsupials with burned paws.

[​IMG]

If you can’t sew, now would be a good time to learn.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare has put out a plea for cotton mittens to help recovering koalas whose paws were burned during recent bushfires in Australia.
    The organization doesn’t know how many injured koalas to anticipate this season, but it’s preparing for an influx.

Much as doctors do with humans, vets treat marsupial burn injuries with cream and bandages.

“Koalas then need special cotton mittens to cover the dressings,” explains IFAW Australia’s Josey Sharrad on the organization’s website. “All this needs changing daily, so we’re asking if you can help us by sewing koala mittens—as many as you can before the fire season truly hits.”

[​IMG]

Summer kicked off in December in Australia.
    Thanks to record heat—the country experienced its third-warmest year on record in 2014—bushfires have blazed through many regions. About 31,000 acres in Adelaide in South Australia have been burned since a bushfire started last week, injuring at least 29 people.
    High temperatures have been forcing koalas out of the woods, but many of the slow-moving marsupials fail to escape the flames.

“Koalas don’t have immune systems, so the risk of death from infection is very high,” he told BBC News. “They get to a point where they are in so much pain…they just sit at the bottom of a tree and scream.”

For now, making and sending mittens to the IFAW could be the least people can do for the recovering koalas.

Local Office:

Oceania
    6 Belmore Street
    Surry Hills
    Sydney NSW 2010

Tel: 1800 00 4329
    Tel: 02 9288 4900
    Fax: +61 2 9288 4901
    Email: info-au@ifaw.org

14. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Awww...poor little guys.

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Stop playing with your food dammit

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I saw a news story on that lil koala fella. ^^^^Warmed my heart. <3

Unique, and other true lovers of animal welfare
    Do you think you could put this up on your FB or any animal groups you belong to?

The story is very brutal - I forced myself to read the detail (the police wont release the videos), so I can KNOW. it moved me to tears and action.

Draco, brutally beaten and tortured

A woman's Husky-Shiba Inu mix named Draco was brutally beaten tortured and shot by her boyfriend, who videotaped the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    </3 </3

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/287926521.html

To sign the petition to put his torturer-killer in jail:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-For-Draco/1514307128832958

We have 25.0000, goal is 30,000.

17. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Liked and shared Blissy...breaks my heart to hear of animal abuse

18. Unique4ever

Signed and shared Bliss!

19. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Just realized I didn't sign...the signatures are well over 36k now...

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

THANK YOU to you beautiful-hearted ladies. Great to hear on the rising siggies! :D

Lippy, animal abuse nauseates me. This psycho tortured this precious dog for a week, made 3 videos of it...and as he ruthlessly beat him, smiled into the camera, licked his lips and said :"I'm not done yet".

All I we can hope for is that prisoner justices meted out 10-foldonce (if) he is sentenced.

Agan ladies, thank you. :heart: