Do you believe in the Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Morning Star, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Do you believe in the afterlife?

1. Yes, it's real.

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. I cannot say. I'll know for sure once I cease to function.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

I don't beleive there is such a thing as "blankness and silence"

Physicists say even space is made up of "something", so there's no such thing as "nothing" -- so they say. Not sure I'm inclined to believe them either. :smt017

But intuitively, I know I'm more than the sum of my parts, by knowing that.
    If that's the case, what tips the scale?

...Plus there's no such thing as a self-aware machine. If there could be, why isn't the whole universe one, with you at the center?

and furthermore, if the universe is infinite, there just might be enough "rolls of the die" out there to create another you, in another time. Wish them luck! :smt003

You should be careful of a lack of faith in an afterlife. :prayer:

2. HrlmWrld

HrlmWrld New Member

If nothing else is true this is: humans will always have the need to "believe" in something.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I always wonder why men like you care.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I dreamed I saw Christ's 2nd Coming. A decade later, I had two dreams that were five years apart. In both of those dreams, I died in the same way; gunshot. So, to answer the question as to if I believe in the Afterlife; yes. I do.

5. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I searched for an appropriate thread to share my story and this is as good a thread as any.

For the record, I do believe in an afterlife.

This is what happened to me today.

I decided to visit the gravesite of my Great Grandmother. She was born in Ireland, found her way to Kansas City, Missouri, met and married my Great Grandfather (who was born in Luxembourg), and ended up in Chicago.

I have found very little of her and her side of the family since starting my family tree in 2013.

Things started to look up a bit about a year ago when a woman contacted me through a DNA match. But, still, so much information remained elusive.

Fast forward to not too long ago when I tried to find anything on her mother. I discovered that at some point the mother remarried and I knew her stepfather's last name but could find NOTHING on them.

Today, at her gravesite, I touched the tombstone and asked her to give up her secrets.

A couple of hours ago, I was on familysearch.org and decided to put in the stepfather's name with no location to see if anything came up.

And what do I find?? An 1880 census that shows his name, along with my Great-Great Grandmother's name....in....wait for it....Kansas City, Missouri.

It HAS to be the same people. And how come I only found the record after I ask her, at her gravesite, to give up her secrets?

Coincidence? It's possible. But it just seems TOO coincidental for me.

On a side note, as I was driving out of the cemetery, I was switching radio stations and stumbled upon Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" and immediately following that song was Bon Jovi's "Wanted: Dead or Alive".

LOL. THAT was quite creepy.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

People are too quick to dismiss what they don't understand. For humans to believe they know the entire mechanics of the life-creating and life-ending process is beyond arrogance.

We all know there are different states and levels of consciousness, the obvious example is when we achieve REM sleep at night, so why should it be any different at the end of life??

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i agree. i believe there is an after life. though iam concerned about getting there in hopes of a better life....im more concerned about what i will leave behind.....my daughter and her well being. how will she do without me?

will i at least be around long enuff to see her graduate college , get married, her first job and have kids and etc....

lastly, how will she remember me?

8. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

because consciousness works on physical hardware. What happens to the mind when there isn't hardware to run it or perceivable way of transferring it? it dies. question is if there is hardware some where that does pick it up.... Idk
    but hopefully it does exist if not well had a good run.

9. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I believe in the afterlife...that there are signs from people who have left this world...an old friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago...one day she just popped into my head...i started thinking about time we shared and things we did together...her and I were also friends with and worked with a best friend of mine that committed suicide...

it was before the holidays in 2013 that this trip down memory lane happened for me...i thought to myself as soon as I get through the holidays, I am going to look her up and touchbase to see if we can get together...the holidays went by...I started a new job in early 2014...then one day when I had some extra time I did an internet search to find her...I found an obituary...she died in November of 2013...I went back through my calendar and sure enough I pegged the day she popped into my mind very close to the day of her death...

Maybe I watch too much of the ghost whisperer but a part of me thinks that they do try to communicate with us through subtle signs...I am fascinated by the Long Island woman that speaks to the dead...

I am not in any rush to die in order to get to the afterlife but it doesn't scare me...

Have you watched, "Heaven is for Real" about the little boy that had a near death experince and met his sister that his mom had lost during pegnancy...absolutely fascinating...I also read the book by this neurosurgen...he account was compelling because he is a science guy and thought it was a crock until it happened to him and he met his sister he didn't know he had...

Bookie...I believe she knew you were seeking answers and helped you get there.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I believe the more important question is.......do ghosts masturbate

If you can't masturbate and do lines of coke in the afterlife, what good is it

11. Bookworm616

I wanted to see that movie Heaven is for Real. Mainly because I like Greg Kinnear, but the subject matter fascinates me.

I will have to catch it Netflix.

I think the signs are there, if you're open to reading them.

I believe your friend was contacting you and I think my Great Grandmother did push me in the right direction.

I've had other experiences, too, that make me believe that there is an afterlife.

12. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Yes

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Chilling story there. (Bookie's too)

My bff...every time we roll in her car and she begins to talk about her husband who killed himself...His favorite or their favorite song together, comes on the radio. It's creepy.

Btw, l used to LOVE Teresa...she would have me in tears...until l found out she's a danm fraud. Google her and check out her being exposed on YT. Never watched her since. She's a hustler.

14. The Dark King

You're a scientist. Really? Don't you need some type of measurable proof?
    I struggle with it a lot. At times it just feels like people's feeble attempt at trying to make sense of something terrifying. The delusions people convince themselves of is astounding sometimes. Not to mention when you find out most of the bible is copy and pasted from other past religious texts.
    The idea of an afterlife is comforting but is it really real?

15. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Being a scientist reaally just strengthen my belief the things I've seen and learned about in the body, genetics, biochemistry etc. I just don't believe all this beautiful, perfectly orchestrated systems are a fluke

16. The Dark King

That's interesting but even assuming that it's part of a grand design what makes you think it goes beyond the biological functions we can observe. I do wonder where consciousness goes after cell death if anywhere at all. Are we aware of it, can we find other consciousness? What happens to those who die young or mentally delayed? What's their experience or do they cease to exist?
    It's really hard to wrap your mind around.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Good questions, I think of it as energy and the constant sum of energy never changes, so therefore its not gone when your body dies where it goes afterwards is something I don't worry about. I'm just 100% sure its not over when its over. Children say the weirdest things, like they recall stuff from before they were born, I guess as we age, we forget. Maybe we are meant to forget. We find out soon enough

18. Bookworm616

Yeah, children are in tune with so much more about those things than we are...plus, most listen to the chatter that it's not real as they get older.

I've had too many experiences to believe that there's nothing after death.

19. The Dark King

Is it possible that your mind struggles to make sense of things and we just make up stories?
    It's just hard to believe that we have instruments that can detect under water oceans on Europa and sub atomic particles but nothing that can give us a shred of measurable proof that human consciousness survives after "life"
    I'm not saying its impossible because seriously what does an accountant know about such things but it is hard to believe.

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i get what you are saying....i believe in the afterlife cause there has to be something more than this. nothing make sense....such as murder for the sake of it.

it doesnt nake sense on how people can hate another for no reason despite facts.