The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

They dropped the ball, they don't know how to cast these female heroes for shit. They had the same problem with the Wonder Woman pilot

2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

3. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

And they insist on putting waifs in these roles, when they should be built like Gina Carano or Brooke Hogan.

4. The Dark King

5. The Dark King

I totally agree. God can you imagine a bunch of Amazons built like Chris Cyborg, Gina Carano, Rhonda Rousey, and the Williams sisters? That would be so damn epic.
    I think unfortunately people in charge are plain stuck in the past and won't move. And since when does supergirl not have blonde hair?

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree with you on this one. Supergirl is supposed to look like a pretty, little teenage girl. Although, this girl is more cute that pretty. But, her body is banging. I wouldn't want to see a thick Supergirl. Power Girl? Yes, a thicker figure would work for that character. Just not for Kara.

And, I saw the Wonder Woman pilot. I thought it was okay. Not bad, but not great. It had potential. Reminded me of how I felt after seeing the Buffy pilot. Not good, yet. But worth dropping in on to see if it improves. Alas, it never went to series order. Adrianne Palicki made a good Wonder Woman. Right height and athletic without being overly muscular.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

THIS.

Just like Superman isn't suppose to be an overly muscular dude because his strength doesn't come from his conditioning his body and muscles from strength training. Superman originally was always depicted as having an average male body type. It wasn't until the 1980's when they rebooted Superman & the rest of the DC Universe after Crisis on Infinite that we got the "athletic physique" Superman that they have continued with to present day.

8. The Dark King

She's not a girl though she's a young woman in her 20s. And I as far as the physique thing I was strictly talking about the Amazons who are depicted as specimen

9. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Doctor Who? Anyone? yes? Fantastic, I know.

10. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I haven't fully followed the Supergirl conversation so I cannot say I am informed, BUT...

To be honest, everything I've seen from DC in the way of television shows has been fucking amazing, so I'd be willing to assume this one is going to be great as well.

I feel like DC is to tv series as Marvel is to giant fucking cinematic movies at this point. The Flash, though I haven't seen enough yet, has been awesome. Arrow is fucking crazy. I'm behind in both, so I may be missing some crucial turning point where things get shitty, but both have been soooo good it makes me stop and think "wait, was I wrong to be a Marvel fangirl all these years?!". But then I'm like "Oh wait all that stupid shit with Superman in the 90's" and I'm still comfortable with Marvel.

11. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Nerds, I should mention, I am not 3 but 7 sheets to the wind. If I offend the nerd-dom please have mercy, she knows not what she types after so much wine.

12. The Dark King

I'd agree if they were making it on the CW who happen to get it right ie all the shows you mentioned plus Smallville. They also did a great job with Supernatural the first 6 to 7 seasons (now it sucks)
    They also animated movies better as well but when other networks pick up DC comics like Constantine, Wonder Woman, and now Supergirl it usually sucks.
    I appreciate your pov though

13. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Tbh I never actually watched Smallville, but I've heard many great reviews so I can assume it was very good. I've just always been such a Marvel girl I never gave much DC a thought. I tried when I was a kid in the 90s because my cousin had comics and he was all about DC...but jesus the shit I saw in Superman at the time was enough to make me go "uhhhhh...nope". lol

Now DC Vertigo, that I can get behind.

But wow I saw just a bit of The Flash show and I was floored. I have zero interest in The Flash as a character but that was some good writing.

Constantine has always had such great potential if thrown into other media (movies and TV) but it always just seems to get fucked up and that makes me sad. I think Keanu did a good job but he needed better writers.

I just love Keanu though, can't hate him. lol

I'm still nervous about this supposed upcoming Sandman movie. Thoughts? Marvel fangirl I may be, but if I had to choose an absolute favorite comic it would be The Sandman hands down. There's just nothing that compares. And now Jason Gordon Levitt is going to make the movie, or so he says.

I'm hoping it will be on par with the recent Marvel movies. I don't even care about The Avengers and I so enjoyed the last one, even with the awkward Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver characters. I'm an X-men girl but those movies lost my interest long ago.

14. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Oh and supernatural def was good, I didnt watch past the first 4 seasons I think. Too many good shows to choose from. lol But I loved what I saw.

15. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Have you watched Heroes?

16. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Yeah, I was soooo excited for season 1. season 2 lost me. :( It had such potential but I feel it got super convoluted and lame after a while.

17. The Dark King

The writer's strike destroyed that show. Such a shame

18. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Completely agree. While I am fully in support of writer's rights...the strike absolutely destroyed a lot of good stories. I'm not sure about the reboot/sequel I've heard about, though. maybe it will be better.

19. The Dark King

Well I will be happy to get away from the lame Patrelli story line.
    After season one Peter was really unnecessary to me and I can't stand indestructible hero types, why I could never commit to being a superman fan, if you can't be hurt and you're more powerful than everyone that what's the point.

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

We know she's not a girl in this show. We're talking the overall archetype for her character. The fact that they are calling her Supergirl rather than Superwoman for this new show speaks for itself.