can you be pro-black and still date/marry a white woman?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by shion, Sep 29, 2008.

1. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

YEP

2. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

That is not what I'm saying at all. I think a person can keep their own culture and support their own culture when in an IR. I just don't think you are doing that at a 100% level when marrying outside. And I've always thought of pro- black meaning 100% but I respect there is difference of opinions.

Yes that is true. My husband has white ancestors. My daughters father has white ancestors and I have black ancestors. But they are still black and I'm still white. Even with a diverse background we both still carry mostly genetics coming from one Continent. And yes we have different cultures. While all Americans have similar culture and Southern whites and African Americans have extremely similar culture they are still distinct culture aspects that are different from the white culture they may live in.

I do not agree with that. Children from say black/white unions for example sure b/c the stereotypical phenotype of these people have been seen as black throughout the 20th century due to the one drop rule that took place. Sure they will generally experience the black experience (although not always the case b/c sometimes they can be mistaken as another race and or ethic group like Latino (side note I know they are not not a race but they are group that face discrimination that sometimes may be different from other minority groups)). However culturally there is a BIG difference even though many people do not want to admit that. Growing up by a non black parent especially a white one is quite a bit different. Colorism for one is not nearly on the same level. The teasing of the light color, the clothes, the mannerisms, the music, the dialect and accent, the hair, eyes, food, the white parent, etc aren't just being insulted for being like another race they are being insulted for being THEIR race, their PARENTS race and culture. These are the people you love most in life and yet you are made to feel their is something wrong with doing the natural thing people do, pick up parents culture and genetics. It's their loved ones that are being insulted. How do you think that would make you feel? Sure multiracial children may not share the same experience with whites but they do share the culture. Some are even totally connected to the white culture b/c they are being raised by white women with their fathers no where to be found. The white parent might teach the black history and expose them to black culture through and outside an environment but that is not nearly the same as having that culture in your home. The passing of ones culture isn't always something that needs to be teached it's just natural. How you live is your culture and you naturally raise your children in it.

Now what I was talking about let me first say I didn't say it was negative I just said it wasn't positive. I think there is a difference. I do think staying within your culture and race makes that culture and racial genetics stronger therefore positive when it's for reasonings of preserving and nothing evil. But I obviously don't think anyone should HAVE to worry about such as that. I mean I wouldn't want all people of all races to mix b/c I do feel somebody needs to be persevering it. But I think we all have the right to not feel that obligation and to build a more blended environment and culture for ourselves and our children if that is what we choose. I just think if we are going for the blended we are not being pro our race. Were being more pro multiracial than anything. But that's just my personal opinion. Not saying I'm right, that is just what I personally believe.

3. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

It's nice that you took the time to share your personal opinions. I must admit that I am bit taken that someone who admits to an interracial relationship would not be in favor of relationships among any races or ethnicities, because "somebody needs to preserve it"? It makes your relationship seem disingenuous as you are promoting that people shouldn't "mix" with one another. Even the mention of a "blended" family conjures up a picture of a person who isn't comfortable with her decision to be in an interracial relationship. Otherwise, how could someone in such a relationship even think in terms of themselves not being "pro our race"? It reminds me of the conversations that I have had with white southern women whose families asked them who they would support in a race war. How does give voice to those kinds of thoughts, or comments, in a loving relationship?

The apparent preoccupation with race and culture is also telling as well. At best it is using a stereotype to rationalize your own feelings. There is NO way you can attribute the things that you mentioned, light color, the clothes, the mannerisms, the music, the dialect and accent, the hair, eyes, food, as distinct within a race. It's not always obvious that a biracial child has a white parents. There a many children with parents who are both black that may appear more "mixed" than biracial children, due to the latent genes within the black parents. It's plainly racist to assume that ALL black people have a distinct dialect and accent, different than whites. I'm an articulate and well educated black man and I have often been mistaken for being non-black because of that stereotype by many white people. Both my parents were black and I can tell you that the clothes I wore growing up were no different that any white kid's clothing. Nowadays, white kids routinely adopt "black URBAN" dress styles and musical tastes. Blacks routinely have a range of musical tastes outside of "black music". As I suggested earlier, and it's not just my opinion, it's a fact, that black children are just a likely to adopt what you consider "white" cultural differences based on their own experiences or the socio economics of their families.

It's amazing that you seem to draw differences of culture by referencing that it's, "The passing of ones culture isn't always something that needs to be teached it's just natural. How you live is your culture and you naturally raise your children in it. Again, this it's incredulous that you actually believe that there are differences in how people live, based on race. I suggest that you would see differences in "culture", how people are raised" based on similar economic circumstances. IMO and experience, the "values" of family are universal and constant within the American culture, accounting for differences in economics. As an adult I have been much more affected throughout my life by the radically differences in prejudice and racism, unknown to White men, in society.

I won't hazard a guess as to whether you are a person posing as the white spouse in an interracial marriage. I can only say that if you truly have these thoughts that you should do a lot of soul searching for the good of those people who expect a mother and wife who loves and accepts them unconditionally, and who doesn't harbor reservations about her own decisions to be in an interracial relationship.

4. Ejackson725

Ejackson725 New Member

Could you rephrase that in English?!?!?

English is a European language. African Americans are descendants of africa who were raised in america.

Being Pro-black is embracing blackness to 100%. obviously you are not embracing blackness 100% if your wife is or another race. Thats is clear as day. Can i be pro-black if i have NO black friends, or i bleach my skin, or if were to have no ties to black culture at all no i cant.

I am not saying that you are not black or that you dont love your race. I am simply saying it is not logically sound that a person is pro-black if their mate is another race. Because the idea of pro-black is to like and embrace everything that is black. obviously you are not embracing everything that is black if your wife is of another race. you are embracing your wife culture.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Since english is a European language, does that mean that black people who do not speak a black language are not embracing blackness 100% and therefore are not pro-black?

I'm just seeing how far this bunny hole goes.

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

You can still be pro-black and still marry a white woman. It simply means exercising appreciation and love for black culture and the history we have as a whole. This can extend to African roots as well and the pride of being of African descent. To marry someone of that same group doesn't have to factor deeply into it. Rather, it's all about admiration.

Now if we're talking Pan-Africanism, that could be another debate.

7. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

I have to laugh at thought of being someone posing. I can assure you I'm white. I just posted my youtube video of my family and my myspace. I'm pretty secure about who I am, who my children are, and my relationship. I can not help that you do not understand were I'm coming from. Since I just wrote this on another site the other day I'm gonna repost it here. This is what I describe as black culture. Just so you will possibly understand what I might mean.

Black culture is African American culture. The culture of US black slaves and their descendants although it has been influenced by other black cultures that have immigrated to the US like hip hop has some origins in the Caribbean.

What is black culture.
    Black culture is a rich history from the altantic slave trade to the civil rights era. I don't want get in to the history to much we all know it or alesast we should.
    Music, ragtime, jazz, blues, swing, r&b, rap, rock-n-roll, doo wop, soul, Hip Hop, hip house, new jack swing, go go, house music, neo soul. Oral tradition is part of AA culture. Spoken word, rhyming. Literature, Authors Langston Hughes, and Zora Nella Hurston, WEB DuBois, Booker T. Washington and many more. Books that have been made into movies such as Roots, the color purple. Dance such as suffel along, Charleston, Lindy hop, Jitterbug, cake walk, popping, locking, break dancing, krumping, stepping, and many more. Art like small drums, quilts, wrought -iron figures, and ceramic vessels. Black plays like Tyler Perrys. Black comedy clubs.

Religion, although Africans were stripped of their own religions and Christianity was forced upon them Africans were able to secretly hold onto some African traditions during worship like including dance, shouts, African rhythms, and enthusiastic singing. Their is spirituals like Lift every voice and sing. There is inventors like Madam C. J. Walker, George Washington Carver, Lewis Latimer, Otis, Boykin

Fashion like Urban fashion, AA swagger. On Sundays AA's dress in dressy suits and clothes and AA women wear big hats. Cuisine. Soul fool exist most of Southern foods but some things are more exclusive or originated in Africa like Okra and melons. Chitterlings, pigs feet, using ham hocks, and neck bones for seasoning in greens and beans. Hoping John from AA's.

There is languages like Creole, and Gullah, and Ebonics. Many AA's also have accent unique to AA's. There is UNIA, NACCP, Nation of Islam, Black power, Black Arts Movement. Jumping the broom. Politics like most AA's are Democratic. The black experience.

Holidays, Black History Month, Martin Luther King Jr B-D, Black music month, Juneteeth, Kwanzaa. Black hair is a major part of the culture. African American hairstyles, Afro, dreads, fade, braids, finger curls, stacks, wedges, twist. Wigs, hot combed, straighter, hot iron, the millions of hair products, curlers, extensions, etc. AA's have a unique bond with other AA's although this is contributed to AA culture and the black experience it also goes back to slavery like calling each other family names even when their not family. There are names that are more often found among AA's some of these come from Africa. There is things like looking out for the neighboorhood kids.

8. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Once again, why are you here???

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

people are writing essays in this mofo.

10. wtarshi

obviously to educate the black men on this forum...show you the error in your ways and bring you back to the fold

11. swirlman07

Of course, though it's revealing that he ignores all attempts to present evidence to the contrary and makes bare unsupported assertions..

12. swirlman07

All I can say it WOW!? I don't even know where to begin and so I won't try to single out any one or all of the those things that suddenly have taken on different meanings as you attempt to defend your position. I made no assumptions and only followed your statement, which you now deny. I will leave it to the casual reader to see that for themselves if they read the complete thread.

You also point out a myriad of things in your "assessment" of black culture that have nothing to do with culture at all. So, it's apparent that you don't understand the meaning of culture. Culture, in the sense of race, denotes something that it unique based on race. But, many of those things you describe are not unique to one race, and have nothing to do with culture.

As an example you attribute Nascar as part of the white culture. The fact is that it's something enjoyed primarily by southern whites, and then only a segment of them. Other regions of the U.S. don't have the same affinity to Nascar, and it's not unique to whites. There are not only blacks who enjoy watching Nascar, they own race cars are well.

Many of the foods you describe are not unique to black culture, they are merely more prevalent to Southern culture. There are many Southern whites who eat chitterlings, neck bones, ham hocks. These foods aren't part of the black experience. But, as you discussed history, perhaps you are aware of the phrase, "eating high on the hog". That phrase referred to the choicer parts of the hog that were reserved to the master. Slaves were only allowed the parts that the master didn't want, and these foods and others were part of what was given to the slaves.

I could go on but I'm sure that you would just find another way to say that I misunderstood.

I will leave you with one thought. One idea that continues to stand out for me, and perhaps it will for other readers on this site. The fact that you don't believe in "mixing" because you fear a loss of your "culture". Well, prejudice and racism are two of the most heinous aspects of white culture. I for one would like to see a total obliteration of white culture if it means that ALL people will have the same opportunities to participate in society equally and have a fair opportunity for success. In preserving your culture you are holding on to values that negatively impact your children, something that I would think a loving mother would not want for her family. So, please consider that as you consider your culture.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  13. wtarshi

that my friend is because it's a troll

14. swirlman07

Agreed, and I have reservations about Ms. Regina as well. Then again, perhaps she's well meaning but just "different".:-?

15. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

I DID NOT SAY I DIDN'T BELIEVE IN MIXING LETS BE SERIOUS. I have 4 biracial children. I'm holding the first annual loving day celebration in my community this year. I'm starting an organization for multiracial families in my community. What I said was I don't want us all to be the same race and have the same culture. Is that what it is you want? I think it's a bit sad you mess with white women but you have such a distaste for their culture. How can you like someone but hate their culture? Yes the bad, the racism, white privilege, the KKK, the skin heads, etc need to be gone and done away with but wp's culture has offered so much more than that. We have contributed languages, art, music, government, religious practices, literature, inventions, food and so much more just aswell.

Nascar LOL do you understand what it is and where it comes from? Let me fill you in. Heard of the Scot Irish's? Well they mostly settled in the Appalachia and spread out through the south. Their descendants are still here today (I'm one of them) every heard of the whiskey rebellion? What about moonshiners? The scot Irish descendants made up the majority of moonshiners (my granddad as a teen and his mom was a moonshiner). They spruced up them cars to run from the police. Then they took them cars and started stock car racing down in Georgia. This soon turned into the very first Nascar race in Florida. Them folks were white man. Not only that but they were Scot Irish white. It does not matter that people of other cultures watch and practice the race today. Of course they do. Saying it not white American (specifically scot Irish American) culture just b/c other cultures take it up is like saying Chop sticks ain't Chinese culture b/c some Americans have started eating with chop sticks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  16. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

regina...does the name jeverage mean anything to you? :confused:

17. Inner Beauty

Inner Beauty New Member

I've noticed...

He/she sees Pro-Black as if they're from the NOI, the Black Israelites or Black Nationalists/separatists. Anything non-Black = not Black enough. It's like the popular labeling of such a stance is all or nothing, emphasis on the dismissal of anything not "Black" enough in their eyes. Even though Pro is "for something", right?

18. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

no

19. swirlman07

Let me refresh your memory:

LOL Ok I'm sorry you took it that way. I've spent the last 3 years in a racial debate group and I have learned alot. I am not one that wants everyone to mix nor do I think it will make the problems all go away. I LOVE our differences. I want our differences to remain. If EVERYONE mixed much of our differences will all be lost. I don't won't that to happen. I mean if it did life goes own but I'd rather it not. However I'm not worried about it. At this post my people do marry their own culture. I'm perfectly happy with my choice to have a multiracial family. Most of the people I'm friends with also have multiracial families. I like the fact that I belong to white community, my husband to the black and together the multiracial community and our children belong to all 3.

It is an invalid assumption that I dislike anyone's culture. I despise aspects of any culture that perpetuate dominance over others for the sake of their advancement. If that's wrong, then put me at the front of the line.

It's laughable as you talk about the contributions of Americans. What does that have to do with culture at all???????? My comments were specifically about culture. What is so difficult to understand???

Your problem is that you somehow equate everything that occurs in a certain race as culture, when that's plainly not true. So, in that regard you are clueless. Every act does not a part of culture make, culture is associated with behaviors and beliefs. Nascar is a pastime, Southern in origin and tradition, but not in itself culture. Even arguing your absurd definition, as I suggested in my earlier post, it's not something that's universally a part of the experience of whites in America. So, even with your OWN definition of "culture, it doesn't qualify. To use your analogy, if a few Appalachians use chopsticks, does that make chopsticks part of the Appalachian culture.

I think that you made your position on race known well with this quote, " wp's culture has offered so much more than that. We have contributed languages, art, music, government, religious practices, literature, inventions, food and so much more just aswell" Enough said....

20. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

DID U MISS THE EVERYONE. Lord have mercy. I didn't not say I didn't want anyone to mix I said I didn't want EVERYONE to mix. Meaning I want there to always be black people, white people, asian people, native people, etc. I want the millions of cultures to also exist. I do not want the current African American culture to completely assimilate. Some want that to happen. Sounds like maybe you are one of them. I am not. I clearly don't find anything wrong with mixing I just don't want EVERYONE too. If you can't see the difference in that I don't know what to tell you.

You don't have to hate an entire culture just b/c you don't like some parts of it.

I think you seriously need to learn what culture is cause right now you look pretty clueless. Dude seriously how about watch the history channel every now and then maybe you might learn something about culture.

cul·ture (klchr) KEY

NOUN:

The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
    These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
    These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
    The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.
    Intellectual and artistic activity and the works produced by it.

Development of the intellect through training or education.
    Enlightenment resulting from such training or education.
    A high degree of taste and refinement formed by aesthetic and intellectual training.

cul·ture? ?/?k?lt??r/ Show Spelled
    [kuhl-cher] Show IPA
    noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
    –noun
    1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
    2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
    3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
    4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
    5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
    6. Anthropology . the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

http://www.carla.umn.edu/culture/definitions.html
    http://www.lifesip.com/what-is-culture.html

And to answer you last question. No it does not. That the whole point of the question I presented to you.