What kind of church do married IR couples/families go to?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by ColiBreh1, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I assume that White evangelical churches are racist, so they ain't going to that. I can't imagine a BM bringing his white wife to his local black baptist church (even though they would be a lot more inviting), so I don't think so.

My guess is they go to megachurches since they tend to be racially diverse. What are y'all think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. MusicMan

MusicMan New Member

Ummm... I would think about going to a Methodist church. I've only went once and loved the way they praise God. There was white woman there as well :) so I was comfortable for sure :)

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall an interracial couple who came to the church that I attended(it was an A.M.E. church). I even recalled a white family visiting our church(the man was a state representative and he spoke to the congregation). A single white woman came in. I guessed that she was looking for a black man in the church. A couple of young white girls volunteered at the summer Bible school. I had been to white churches. I was welcomed but came away feeling like I wasn't to return there again. I guess it's all about the location of the church. And most important, the demographic of the congregation(ages). I don't think interracial couples are unwelcome.

4. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

We go to a pentecostal church. About 60% are Germans, 20% Africans, 20% people of other origin. But then, the religious landscape over here is completely different to the US. I have been to a couple of small all African churches. Nice every now and then if you are looking for some hot praise/worship. What church do you go to?

5. ColiBreh1

I haven't gone to church in years. But the last time I regularly went to Church, I went to my local catholic church which was racially-diverse.

6. BlackCohen

BlackCohen Member

I don't do church because I am a Jew but in actuality Genesis 16:29 tells us to remain in our home on the Sabbath unlike the modern synagogue goers. What is more the temple was only visited on some festivals and not the Sabbath. So I stay at home.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

We got married at City Hall, with the intent to have a larger and church wedding when we could afford it. We were young and broke, lol.
    My Greek Orthodox Church wanted $1000 donation to perform the ceremony. Yeah, that wasn't happening.

8. ColiBreh1

You're married?

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Was. For 10 years, but we divorced.
    Are you married? Or thinking about it?

10. ColiBreh1

Nope.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Just peeped your profile. Plenty of time @ age, if that's your desire.

12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

In my experience churches that have younger congregants seem to be a lot more accepting of IR families. My mother's church has recently had an influx of young millennial couples join the congregation, and last time I went there (in March) I saw 6 or 7 IR couples, including the pastor and his wife.

13. ColiBreh1

Is your mother's church a white church, black church, racially diverse, or a megachurch?

14. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

Why do folks even want to get married anymore, me and my girl are like wah! People STILL get married.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

It isn't really a black or white church, and it sure isn't a megachurch The entire congregation is about 200-250 people. It's located in a part of town that used to be a "black neighborhood" but it's been gentrified a little bit so now it's pretty diverse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Madeleine

Unbelievable. The love of Mammon...
    Well, everyone will answer God one day.

17. Beat-man

Beat-man Active Member

Baptist Churches here in Toronto are mixed

18. Madeleine

The other day I was looking around my boys' sunday school class and realized almost 80% of his class were mixed kids:)

19. ColiBreh1

Where do you live?

20. Madeleine

South Germany. The reason is that Africans are way, way, way more religious than the average German (who doesn't even go to church at all), so Africans are highly overrepresented in international/pentecostal churches over here (compared to the actual percentage they make in society), so are African-German mixed families. There are so many AfroGerman families in my church now we are creating a little subculture:)
    Where do you live, btw?