Daytona 500's first Black Race Car Driver in nearly 50 years

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This is crazy...50 years? Ridiculous. Especially @ how much Black guys love hotted-up cars and racing, etc..
    (*I might just watch now that he's going to race)

Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. makes history...
    By Associated Press

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • He follows Wendell Scott - who was the first black driver to win a race in the Grand National Series since NASCAR was founded
    • The 24-year-old will drive the No. 43 car for Richard Petty Motorsports on Sunday
    • Wallace tweeted: 'There is only 1 driver from an African American background at the top level of our sport. I am the 1'
    • NASCAR research showed diversity among its fan base has grown from 20 to 24 percent over the last five years

He will make history as the first full-time black driver since 1971 in the predominantly white Daytona 500 race.

[​IMG]

Wallace follows Wendell Scott from nearly 50 years ago - who was the first black driver to win a race in the Grand National Series since NASCAR was founded in 1948.

The 24-year-old will drive the No. 43 car for Richard Petty Motorsports on Sunday.

Wallace had driven the iconic No. 43 car to a third-place finish in a Daytona 500 qualifying race, setting off a celebration for Richard Petty Motorsports almost worthy of winning NASCAR's marquee race itself.

The King strolled to the pits and hugged Wallace. The 80-year-old Petty wrapped his arm around Wallace , and they walked off smiling toward what each side hoped was the start of a fruitful alliance.

'I just had a guard walk me from pit road to the media center. His name is Richard Petty. I've never seen him so excited in my life,' Wallace said. :)

That Wallace can energize Petty may symbolize as much a true passing of the torch as NASCAR could want: Petty and his deep kinship with old-school fans and Wallace, a video game playing, social media darling about to make history as the first black driver in decades.

Busting down racial barriers in a sport long reserved for whites is heavy stuff for Wallace, and he's keenly aware all eyes are on him.

[​IMG]

The rookie invites glare from his fans and haters, starring in his own eight-episode docu-series 'Behind the Wall: Bubba Wallace ,' on the Facebook Watch show page.

Wallace...has openly talked of becoming the Tiger Woods of NASCAR - a black star who can transcend the sport and prove people of all colors can race and flourish in corporate America.

'There's a lot of stuff that's riding on this weekend. I know it. I pay attention to it,' Wallace said.

'I follow a lot of people on social media, and it's being put out there. But I'm doing my best at managing it, keeping it behind me, and that's the best thing I can do.'

[​IMG]

Wallace is one of at least eight black drivers in NASCAR's 70-year history who reached the Cup level: Elias Bowie, Charlie Scott, George Wiltshire, Randy Bethea, Willy T. Ribbs and Bill Lester.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh weel. I said l was gonna watch but l guess its a one day gig that ran today already? ... He came in 2nd. Not bad.

Results.....Final
    Pos Driver Status

1 A. Dillon
    Chevrolet·#3
    Running

2 D. Wallace Jr.
    Chevrolet·#43
    Running

3. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

He ran a good race today

4. Rashad

Rashad Active Member

Him and his girlfriend Amanda Carter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

NASCAR is an extremely expensive sport to break into. You need to be able to race as a young driver to gain experience, and for many that means you either have to buy your own car, or get a sponsor who allows you to race for them.

Drivers don't really choose NASCAR. Teams are the ones that choose them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

She looks good.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's whats up