Da Pope in Africa: "Its bareback sex, or nothing at all"

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Sir Nose, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

I'm paraphrasing the Holy One, but check out what he did say about the use of condoms and its impact on the AIDS epidemic. Definitely has drawn some attention and generated some discussion:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LI432209.htm

Benedict, arriving in Africa, said on Tuesday that condoms "increase the problem" of AIDS. The comment, made to reporters aboard his plane, caused a worldwide firestorm of criticism.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

it's like this kat wants the AIDS epidemic in africa to proliferate.........

3. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

4. satyricon

satyricon Guest

The Catholic church is always a millennium behind on almost everything.

5. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

YAOUNDE, March 18 (Reuters) - The Vatican on Wednesday defended Pope Benedict's opposition to the use of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS as activists, doctors and politicians criticised it as unrealistic, unscientific and dangerous.

unrealistic - I don't know how high the usage of condoms in AIDS-ridden African countries is now, but my guess is it isn't so high, so maybe the Pope's goal isn't so unrealistic

unscientific - maybe, maybe not. Is there evidence that AIDS in Africa has been greatly reduced since condoms were introduced? How can it be verified that they are actually used?

dangerous - Hard to see how the situation can become any more dangerous than it already is in AIDS-ridden Africa

6. Juli3113

Juli3113 New Member

I am appalled that the Catholic church has reiterated it's position against the use of condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS. They have such tunnel vision on the matter that they cannot recognize the twofold benefit of this particular type of birth control. Their position strictly views condoms as a means to prevent pregnancy. While true, that is not the only benefit of a condom. The world is not trying to control the birth rate in Africa, but rather the rate at which AIDS is being spread. The focus needs to be on this devastating, deadly epidemic, not on the prevention of pregnancy. To understand the rate of infection and the number of orphaned children and still speak out on something that may slow the transmission of the disease is unforgivable. The powers that be in the Roman Catholic church cannot see the forest for the trees.

7. LA

LA Well-Known Member

sad, aint it. :|

8. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

According to the article, the Pope agrees that the AIDS epidemic needs to be stopped, but he disagrees that handing out condoms is the solution.

As you indicate by using the word may, it is arguable whether or not the current policy of handing out condoms is an effective way to reduce AIDs in Africa.

Presumably the Pope offers an alternative solution.

9. satyricon

satyricon Guest

The Catholic church doesn't care, they just want more catholics. The fact that people are contracting HIV and children are being born into life-crushing poverty is incidental to that goal.

10. Juli3113

Juli3113 New Member

Yes Sir Nose, I said "may" because condoms are not fool-proof, as we know. However, I would rather see those in high risk groups use something that may, instead of doing as they're doing now, which is nothing. The pope naturally wants to slow the AIDS epidemic but his solution is abstinence. I have no faith in the notion that throwing money at an abstinence program in Africa will work. It isn't working well here in the U.S. In fact, studies I have read indicate that those pledging abstinence are more likely to have unprotected sex than other teens. Why? Because they aren't planning to have sex so when the heat of the moment arrives and they succumb, it's without protection. Saty, you are so right. The ban on birth control results in a proliferation of Catholics, not to mention grinding poverty in many parts of the world because families have many children with little means to support them. I'm not trying to bash the Catholic church, but this issue really strikes a nerve.

11. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Gotcha. Is there any evidence that thowing money at a condom program has worked to slow the spread of AIDS in Africa?

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

"The chickens are coming home to roost".:smt045

13. Juli3113

Juli3113 New Member

Africans are reluctant to use condoms for a variety of reasons, particularly within marriage and/or with a partner they believe to be exclusive, as they feel it represents a lack of trust. I am not advocating throwing money at a condom program. Certainly condom availability needs to increase, however, overcoming certain attitudes is a major obstacle. I'm simply advocating the Pope stop discouraging people from using them. I think most of us would prefer abstinence as a means to stop the spread of disease, however, we also know that in many cases that isn't realistic.

14. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Well I guess its cool to spread AIDS.

15. supertype

supertype New Member

the main reason why the catholic church are against the use of condoms, is because sex before marriage are not allowed. After marriage condoms are not needed because you are suppose to make children.

That the religion, the pope cant change it even if he wanted to. :smt021

16. Arwen

Arwen New Member

Sir Nose, I've just seen your post. I was about to make one about the same topic.
    Now some people will find it insulting but I think he is the biggest asshole in the world, he and all that religious bullshit. They prefere to have millions of children with AIDS than ppl having sex with the condom.
    That people leave in ignorance, violence, caresties, and they worry about them wearing the condom or not, having sex or not. Sex is the only thing they got, poor ppl.
    I really shame for being born in a place where these catholic, old fashioned, stupid clowns can have so much influence, I've always had and I will keep shaming.
    In Italy we can't have the assisted procreation because ppl listened to the Pope and nobody voted the referendum. I think they need to shut up for a while and learn what real suffence mean.
    What can somebody that hangs around with ancient jewels all the time, that will never be staving or cold or get the AIDS know about poor ppl in Africa?
    If they were really religious and believed in the equality of the men, they would go around in the snow with no shoes like S.Francesco d'Assisi, not with fine leather shoes made in expensive boutiques of Florence or whatever it is.
    That completely sucks, sucks, sucks and pisses me off like hell!

Sorry. I'm done.

17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The Catholic church was VERY complicit in the slave trade....should give you some indication about their lingering mindset about Africans.

18. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Don't be sorry. I was glad to read your post. I could feel the passion you have in your words.

19. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

Yep, and Pope Nicholas V even encouraged enslaving non-Christian Africans in his Papal Bull Romanus Pontifex of 1454. This Papal Bull gave Portugal the power and "right" to enslave all pagans/Africans. Which could explain why Porgtugal is the European nation to have captured/kidnapped more Africans and why the highest concentration of people of African descent are in Brazil.

The bull Romanus Pontifex was published by Pope Nicholas V. It is an important document in the long struggle betwen Portugal and Spain for the control of the lands inhabited by the so called "unbelievers" ("heathens" and "infidels"). As an arbitror of disputes in the christian world empowered by his role as the"successor of the key-bearer of the heavenly kingdom and vicar of Christ", Nicholas V settled the matter in 1455 in favor of Portugal. The competition betwen the two monarchic states started nearly 100 years before the first voyage of Columbus in 1492. Portugal's later claim to the lands in the "new world", in 1493, was based on this Bull. Castile rejected that claim and sought the help of the Spanish Pope Alexander VI who countered the Portuguese initiative with the Bull Inter caetera of 1493.

http://www.kwabs.com/romanus_pontifex_bull.html

Portuguese and Spanish explorations

The 15th century Portuguese exploration of the African coast is commonly regarded as the harbinger of European colonialism. In 1452, Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas, granting Afonso V of Portugal the right to reduce any "Saracens, pagans and any other unbelievers" to hereditary slavery which legitimized slave trade under catholic beliefs of that time. This approval of slavery was reaffirmed and extended in his Romanus Pontifex bull of 1455. These papal bulls came to serve as a justification for the subsequent era of slave trade and European colonialism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_trade

And speaking of the "Slave trade", it's just the euphemism for what was more like an organized genocide. There wasn't really a "trade" taking place, but that's another debate.

20. thefieryphoenix

thefieryphoenix Active Member

As always, the Pope is 2 centuries behind the times. The Pope is too blind to see that people are human and they are not going to abstain from premarital sex. Everytime Benedict opens his mouth, idiocy pours out.