Why do people wear...

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by archangel, Aug 29, 2010.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

du rags? I never understood that. The other one is that I see a lot of people on television that wear white tees constantly. I always chucked that up to it cost less.
    Any one got an answer? feel free to give an answer.

2. Raul Sinclair

Raul Sinclair New Member

Du rags are helpful to get you some waves in your hair. I guess its just a fashion thing in the inner cities. White tees, again a fashion thing people just feel comfortable wearing and then both got popularized by rappers. So yeah.. if that helps

3. archangel

How does it get you waves?

4. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Never understood how, either, but it works. Du rags are just wave caps that you have to tie, rather than just slip on. As to why people who don't have wave ot even the kind of hair to get waves, like Raul said, it's just fashion.

5. archangel

Ok, I got the answer from wikipedia.

It isn't the du rag that does it. The du rag is used to protect the hair.

African-American men use do-rags to maintain the natural wave patterns in their hair. After intense brushing, an oil sheen or grease is usually applied to the hair which is then wrapped in a do-rag overnight to prevent the waves from becoming tangled...especially if hair is long.

My other question is why do people call other people red. :smt102

6. FG

FG Well-Known Member

When I lived it Texas, I saw Du rags all over the place - white and black alike... mostly used during the hot summer months for a lot of wm to keep the sweat from pouring into your eyes while working out or working outside while its 110 degrees. Never liked them , but it looks even worse when a white dude is wearing all those colorful du rags. The texas flag was of-course on of the most popular ones they wore:)

Here in CA, I wanna know why people wear Uggs in the summer?

Or how about people on planes wearing pajama bottoms??
    WTF?

Oh, and starched jeans w creases in them you can cut meat with????? - Oh, that was in Texas, LOL

7. archangel

I've never heard of uggs. hmmm time to go to wikipedia.

8. FG

FG Well-Known Member

LOL
    I love Wikipedia!!!

You know what I mean when you see it.

9. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I never wanted waves, so I never knew exactly how it worked.

10. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I call them Ugg-lys. Those shoe things look like shit.

When I was in high school, hella girls wore pajamas. It was the trend. They had "pajama day" during those school spirit weeks but they didn't need one. It was pajama day for girls every day. They literally wore the shit right outta bed. Pajama bottoms, slippers, hoody and a ponytail.

11. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Because we like to be fashionable and... as they say, "it's cute."

They like to sleep on planes and they might as well just get cozy and cruise right on with their pajamas.

That's more of a gang-affiliated style of dressing that was popularized in the inner-city "ghetto/hood."

The need to make their pants extra creasey is just to state the point as clear as possible: "My jeans are crisp."

It is also a form of imitation that comes from dress pants that come pre-creased when you buy them. Except, they urbanize the look and crease their jeans/Dickies instead of their dress pants.

12. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Anymore questions?

13. LA

LA Well-Known Member

The only red I've heard associate with name-calling is due to someone having red hair, red skin complexion "red necks, etc"/ and "red bone" (light skinned black people).

It is also another form of saying, "dude".

14. LA

LA Well-Known Member

The only red I've heard associate with name-calling is due to someone having red hair, red skin complexion "red necks, etc"/ and "red bone" (light skinned black people).

It is also another form of a the word 'friend'. (Dude, bud, mate, bro, etc.)

15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

LA as....

[​IMG]

16. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I don't know who he is but I know you just made a funny. :)

17. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

The all knowing Negrodamus, from Chapelle's Show. :smt081

18. archangel

Yea I meant why do they call light skinned black people red bone. They don't look red in complexion.

19. kissthestick

kissthestick New Member

the realest

20. Anten7

Anten7 New Member

I've never seen African-Americans having to rely on wikipedia - to teach them about African-Americans.