1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you ever feel like this but sometimes I feel like it might too late for me to make my mark in the world. Too late to experience the kind of success that I dreamed of as a child but then I came across a story about the author Mary Higgins Clarke who didn't become a published author until well into her 50s and it made me think about many successful people who weren't stand out prodigies like Tiger Woods or started a successful business before 30 like Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs.
    So if you come across anyone you admire who didn't gain success until later in their life (to me later is anything past your 20s) post it.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

there's a pic on the wall in one of the OR corridors, that says something like life rewards those who keep running. Goes in line with the quote 'life is a marathon, not a sprint.' My aunt had her first book published when she was well into her 40s. It wasn't exactly a NY times best seller, but it was still picked up by a publisher and sold in stores/amazon.com. Success comes in all shapes and forms, so I guess to her that was a big one. She spent many years working on the book while working a full-time job.

Success for me would be orchestrating enough parts of my life, from finances, living arrangement, work etc, in complete harmony as I complete a terminal degree on my own. I don't necessarily have to be rich or wealthy in the end, but I do like a good chess match. Plus, I grew up in the projects with a single mom and didn't have much, so every new level I reach means a lot to me on a personal basis.

3. The Dark King

Bump

I'd love to hear some of your stories

4. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Anne McCaffrey was 31 when she had her first science fiction novel published in 1967 when science fiction writing was dominated by men.
    Previously she had been trained as a singer but after years discovered a flaw in her voice and that put paid to that.

She was 56 when she had her immensely popular Crystal Singer series published in 1982

I personally love these books, you don't have to have to be a child prodigy to some something exquisitely!

5. The Dark King

Thanks for sharing that. I need to find more stories like this.

6. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Mc Donalds was started by Ray Kroc aged 52 in 1954 and he was a milkshake salesman!!!

Colonel sanders was 65 yrs old when he started Kentucky Fried Chicken and before that he ran a chciken shop from the age of 40yrs!

Momofuke Ando invented Ramen Noodles at the age of 48!

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. ~John Barrymore

7. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Unless you're 6 feet under, there is always time to realize your dreams.

Don't ever let your age and time rob you of following your dreams. As Bug has shown, dreams come at all ages....

8. The Dark King

Seems like its all youth oriented these but you're right.

9. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Don't worry what others are doing. Just do you and never give up on your dreams. :smt023

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

change is unavoidable....growth is optional

11. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Active Member

12. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Prof. J.R.R. Tolkien's (b. 1892) Middle Earth saga began later in his life, when the WWI veteran was already a middle-aged professor at Oxford. He published The Hobbit in 1937 and the Lord of the Rings saga in the mid-1950s.

13. The Dark King

14. The Dark King

This hits closer to home since this is what I want to do. Thanks for posting.

15. AlmostThere

Dana White

Convinced childhood friends to buy nearly dead UFC for $2 Million back in 2001 (he was 31 at the time). Brand is now worth more than $2 Billion. White has 9% stake in company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_White

16. The Dark King

stuff like this is a lot of luck. I could round up everyone I know and wouldn't be able to raise even 10% of that.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

George R R martin is 64. He was way passed his 20 when he got famous for a song of ice and fire.

18. AlmostThere

19. The Dark King

20. AlmostThere