Poverty Myths and Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Stereotypes and Myths' started by Tamstrong, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Debunking Poverty Myths and Stereotypes

Poverty is the exhausting, unending, time-consuming struggle of juggling and just hoping to make ends meet with no end in sight. It is the daily stress of having to choose between whether to pay the rent, pay the electric bill, or pay for food. It is the daily worry about whether the car will break down or
    someone will get ill or your child will need a new pair of shoes, and then deciding which necessity will have to be sacrificed to pay for the added expense of the unexpected bill. Poverty robs you of a sense of security and it destroys your self-esteem and your hope for the future.

Today, more than 46 million Americans live in poverty. What is the poverty line? In 2013, the federal government classifies a family of four as “poor” if its gross cash income is less than $23,550; for a family of three, $19,530; for a family of two, $15,510; and for an individual, $11,490.

In poverty, the choices you have are extremely different from the choices of those with privilege and access to resources. Those with privilege and access to resources have the luxury to make real choices about their future. The crisis of poverty rarely allows you to plan for your future. Most people in
    poverty do what they have to do to meet basic survival needs and to help those they love who are also in crisis. It is hard to think about having a future when your family is hungry today.

Myths and Stereotypes about Poverty

People living in poverty have to make tough choices with their money all day, every day, just to squeak by, and every dollar they spend could land them under the microscope. There’s no room for error. And, unfortunately, there’s plenty of judgment to go around from others. Many people who do not live in poverty have a tendency to criticize the poor and blame them for their supposed laziness, lack of intelligence, or willingness to make bad decisions.
    There are many myths and misunderstandings that fuel stereotypes that negatively impact those living in poverty in the U.S. Here are just a few of many myths related to U.S. poverty:

? MYTH: Poor people are unmotivated and have weak work ethics.

The Reality: Poor people do not have weaker work ethics or lower levels of motivation than wealthier people. Although poor people are often stereotyped as lazy, two-thirds of people living in poverty work an average of 1.7 jobs; 83% of children from low-income families have at least one employed parent; and close to 60% of children have at least one parent who works full-time and year-round. According to the Economic Policy Institute, poor working adults spend more hours working each week than their wealthier counterparts.

? MYTH: A huge chunk of my tax dollars supports welfare recipients.

The Reality: Welfare costs about 1% of the Federal Budget. The majority of those living in poverty do not receive government welfare assistance.

? MYTH: Those who get on welfare stay on welfare.

The Reality: Of those that receive welfare assistance, more than half stop receiving benefits after a year, 70% within two years, and 85% within four years.

? MYTH: Social mobility is possible by working hard.

The Reality: Education is the key to social mobility, not “working hard.” Our current economy requires workers to be more skilled than in the past. This is not our grandfather’s era where people could simply “work hard and pull themselves up by their bootstraps.” Today, an education provides
    the bootstraps people need for social mobility. However, many people who live in poverty cannot afford the costs associated with secondary education.

? MYTH: Poor parents are uninvolved in their children's learning, largely because they do not value education.

The Reality: Low-income parents hold the same attitudes about education that wealthy parents do. Low-income parents might be less likely to attend school functions or volunteer in their children's classrooms—not because they care less about education, but because they have less access to school involvement than their wealthier peers. They are more likely to work multiple jobs, to work evenings, to have jobs without paid leave, and to be unable to afford child care and public transportation.

? MYTH: Poor people have babies to get more welfare.

The Reality: About $60 per month is all that welfare recipients receive for additional children, and in some states the amount is zero. The average welfare family is no larger than the average non-recipient American family. Welfare benefits are not a significant incentive for childbearing.

? MYTH: Poverty has little lasting impact on children.

The Reality: Research is clear that poverty is the single greatest threat to children’s well-being. Poverty can impede children’s ability to learn and contribute to social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Poverty also can contribute to poor physical and mental health, and poor self-esteem. Risks are greatest for children who experience poverty when they are young and/or experience deep and persistent poverty.

? MYTH: Poverty is a minority issue.

The Reality: Poverty is not solely a minority issue. Poverty affects people of all races. Of the Americans living in poverty today, 42% are White, 29% are Hispanic or Latino, 25% are Black or African American, and 4% are Asian. However, poverty has a disparate impact on people of color.

? MYTH: Poor people tend to abuse drugs and alcohol.

The Reality: Poor people are no more likely than their wealthier counterparts to abuse alcohol or drugs. Although drug sales are more visible in poor neighborhoods, drug use is equally distributed across poor, middle class, and wealthy communities. Studies have found that alcohol consumption is significantly higher among upper middle class white high school students than among poor black high school students. This finding supports a history of research showing that alcohol abuse is far more prevalent among wealthy people than among poor people.

How You Can Help

Americans have to move past stereotypes and focus on meeting the basic needs of those living in poverty, while setting them up for success, rather than berating them for not being middle class. Each of us has the power to help fight poverty, and the myths and stereotypes about poverty in the U.S.
    Here are some ways you can get involved:

? Educate yourself about poverty issues. Visit your local library or websites on the Internet.

Some good websites are Wisconsin Community Action Program (WISCAP) –
    www.wiscap.org; Couleecap – www.couleecap.org; and Institute for Research on Poverty –www.irp.wisc.edu.

? Speak up when someone is blaming the poor – or stereotyping the poor as needy, ill, deficient, or not to be trusted.

? Support and vote for local elected officials who care about poverty issues.
    ? Increase affordable housing by joining a local housing coalition.

? Help low-income preschool children by volunteering in a Head Start classroom.

? Advocate for a higher minimum wage, more assistance for child care, more assistance with healthcare costs, and more assistance with transportation costs, so working families can get out of poverty.

? Support your local food pantries all year round.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    References:
    Beegle, Dr. Donna; Communication Across Barriers: See Poverty . . . Be the Difference, 2006; www.combarriers.com.
    Gorski, Paul; Educational Leadership: The Myth of the Culture of Poverty, 2008; www.ascd.org.
    Marketplace; Tough Choices: How the Poor Spend Money, 2012; www.marketplace.org.
    Payne, Dr. Ruby; aha! Process, Inc.: Bridges Out of Poverty: Strategies for Professionals and Communities, 2006;
    www.ahaprocess.com.
    Salem Health; Culture Whispers: Understanding Poverty, 2010; www.salemhealth.org.
    U.S. Census Bureau; 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5 Year Estimates, 2012; www.factfinder2.census.gov.
    U.S. Department of Health & Human Services; 2013 Poverty Guidelines, 2013; www.aspe.hhs.gov.
    World Vision U.S. Programs; U.S. Poverty Myths, 2013; www.worldvisionusprograms.org.

2. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Great post. You're a great writer. Did you research/write this for this thread or did you write it for publication/job/school and it share with us? Either way I'm impressed.

3. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I actually didn't write this, but I'm glad you appreciated the post. It is something I have done some research on and written about, but this is just one of the many sources I've collected on the issue. I have found that many of those who have published this info have tailored it to their local communities, but other than references to their locations, the information applies all over the US.

4. KingAesop

KingAesop Active Member

This post highlights a great deal of good points about the popular misconception about what poverty really is, especially the bullet pointing out the myth that poor people are lazy. I don't see anything lazy about working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Good stuff Tam. :smt023

I agree.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Unfortunately most don't give a shit until it touches them and by then its too late. It's sad and I don't how we will rectify it.
    I remember I brought up the idea of basic government income, something they've implimented in Switzerland, where people are given a basic income of 36k per year instead of having most social programs. If you decide to work you get less but is still circulating since everyone has money to spend which provides a strong economy. Every has enough to live ok and suffering lessens dramatically. The first thing people do is ask who pays for this? We all pay for this by spending our money and allowing businesses to stay open so they can hire people as they need them allowing them to still make a profit. Basically instead of having most of our tax dollars go to loop holes and sink hole social programs we put dollars in the hands of people.
    The amount of disdain was surprising, all I heard was "I'm not going to work so some mooch can sit home and collect" they completely miss the point and would rather suffer than let anyone they deem worthy have an easier life. I've come to the conclusion that most people are just fucking awful or plain unaware. They LOVE misery and want a shit ton of company.

6. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Excellent post Tam. People judge what they don't know/understand so it's awesome to get the facts out like this to help set the record straight. :smt023

I feel like you need a hug. If you were a SoCal boy I'd drive over and hug all that negativity right out of you. Your pessimism runneth over my friend. :( There will always be horrible, willfully ignorant people in this world but they're definitely not representative of most people. Not in my opinion anyways. Either way, hugs for you from me :freehug:

7. The Dark King

Free hugs from you? I'll take it :freehug:

8. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

Where is paniro and archman????

Threads like this are like daylight to dracula.

9. The Dark King

They tend to stay away from anything that challenges their pull yourself up by the bootstrap bs

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Yeah its easier to throw out bumper sticker statements than state facts ,data and evaluate

11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I've never once got that vibe from them, must be missing something.

12. The Dark King

They have literally said shit like that. Pretty much if I can do it you can do it.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I dont know that of archman...paniro....different story.

14. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Dude you are restricted again...get a life! This place is not that serious..perhaps they actually have a life outside of this place and don't have the time or energy to argue with you and the likes of you

Excellent post tamstrong ...enlightening...if all of us that have more than enough extended help to those in need...the USA would be a better place

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Ooooh damn