Any Good Documentaries

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by wtarshi, Jul 16, 2010.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Caught part of an interesting one on the late former Governor Ann Richards of Texas on HBO last night. I'm looking forward to catching it in its entirety.

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw Love, Marilyn. It was a documentary about Marilyn Monroe's dairy and journal entries about her personal life and career. Each entry was performed by an actress(Glenn Close, Lindsay Lohan, Uma Thurman, Viola Davis and others) while actors Adrien Brody, Oliver Platt, Peter Skaarsgaard, F. Murray Abraham and others performed the male recollections of Arthur Miller and others. And interviews with people who knew and worked with Marilyn. It was an intimate exploration of Marilyn's thoughts and feelings. I had discovered her late, I had not seen any of her films except Some Like It Hot when I was little. Back in the 90's I had listened to her recorded interviews and was surprised by her candidness and honesty.

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Park Avenue: Money & Power

740 Park Avenue to be exact...this is a must see for everyone that isn't rich...frightening glance at our future...our children's future

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Didn't know lippy had kids

As for future.....we already know it's going to be shit because it's SHIT right now

It's illegal to feed the homeless on the street for crying out loud in some cities

Next you won't be able to give them food money

:p

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

How to Eat Your Watermelon : a documentary on the life and career of Melvin Van Peebles featuring commentary from various individuals who work with or interacted with him or were influenced by him such as Gordon Parks, Gil Scott-Heron and Spike Lee.

Jodorowsky's Dune : documentary exploring Chilean-French director Alejandro Jodorowsky's unsuccessful attempt to adapt and film Frank Herbert's classic 1965 science fiction novel Dune in the early to mid 1970s. The project never came about due to financial reasons. In the latter half of the film it is noted that Jodorowsky's phonebook sized script, extensive storyboards, and concept art were sent to major film studios, and argues that they were inspirational to later film that were actually produced, including Alien, Star Wars, and the Terminator. In particular is the fact that the Jodorowsky assembled production & design team for the Dune film of Dan O'Bannon, Chris Foss, H.R. Giger and Jean Giraud all went on to be major collaborators on the film Alien in 1979.

6. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I just watched one of the 30 for 30 sports documentaries on Len Bias ...#2 NBA draft pic coming out of Maryland ...3 days after being drafted he dies of a drug overdose .... This happened back in the 80s....I recommend you all watch it for the simple reason that this is when congress decided to pass legislation on drug arrests ...the beginning of the end for many young black men

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw Carmen & Geoffrey. It was the autobiography of the life, career and marriage of Geoffrey Holder and his wife Carmen de Lavallade. These two were perfect for each other because of their love of dance. It was a loving portrait of both of them. A beautiful autobiography. Check it out.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Saw a documentary on L.A.'s The Grim Sleeper on HBO, arguably the nation's most prolific serial killer operating out of South Central L.A. for over 30 years but law enforcement didn't really care because the victims were all Black women and the main suspect was a Black man.

Chilling, bizarre profiles of his 'boyz', his son and the hoes who were nearly victims of the Grim Sleeper.

But the one who steals the show is the ex-crackhead who acts as a tour guide through South Central for the British documentarians seeking former victims and casual acquaintances who new the serial killer.

It's estimated Lonnie Franklin murdered over 100 women since the 1980s, but many of the bodies were never found.

It helps that for years he worked for the sanitation department hauling trash to a landfill, a perfect opportunity to dump his bodies undetected.:smt078

9. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]LRWe8zppYYY[/YOUTUBE]

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

On the topic of rich people...if you want them to be more 'human,' we as a people need to stop making everything into a competition. We also need to stop telling 'smart' people how special/better they are than everyone else

It all begins in grade school

11. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]2dYOw_Rd2VM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]H3McEHlBmgE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8wW7c58nMI4[/YOUTUBE]

12. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hope to see those docs of Foreign brides soon.

13. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]xmfF2rg363A[/YOUTUBE]

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary called Everyday Sunshine:The Fishbone Story. Fishbone was a group of young black men breaking into the punk rock scene in the 80's. As a group, they had to endure the segregation and politics of the music industry and their own individual dramas. Laurence Fishburne narrated the film. Fishbone influenced many band to come like No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus and others. Check it out.

15. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]3fBaFQk6aE0[/YOUTUBE]

16. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]kCbl0pkR9H0[/YOUTUBE]

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Im not a big doc fan but i will gave to look at some of these

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw one a couple of years back dealing with American servicemen finding love in Asia. A couple of them were Korean and one was a Filipina. A friend of mine who was stationed in Germany told me that the uniform helps to get the woman, but if you are a commissioned officer(lieutenant, captain, etc.), you will be loved by her family because of an officer's paygrade.

19. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]TsVkidcJTdI[/YOUTUBE]

20. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]4bFbvCxYAxw[/YOUTUBE]