Art Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Tamstrong, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I love art of all kinds, and I recently came across a few pieces I thought were interesting & gorgeous. I thought it would be nice to have a place to share the art we appreciate whether it be paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc. Please remember this is not a joke thread or a place to be disrespectful, so please behave. ;)

These are by a man named Matthew Hamblen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

Oh my goodness! These are seriously amazing. The colour and depth in them is gorgeous. I want to be IN that world right now, sitting under a tree watching that sun set.

Thanks for sharing! I have a new favourite to my list of 'much loved' artists. :)

3. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

They kind of remind me of creepy dreams I had when I was little. :(

4. satyr

satyr New Member

I'm trying to break my addiction to the Impressionists and move to the start of the 19th century, and then beyond to the modernist era (20th century).

Goya - Milkmaid

[​IMG]

Love Rembrandt too.

Denae

[​IMG]

5. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

Goya is amazing. I love his sketches the most.

[​IMG]

6. Max Mosley

Max Mosley Well-Known Member

Not exactly art in the traditional sense but ive always been a fan of Frank Frazetta.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. mama

mama Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

8. mama

mama Well-Known Member

I like the last one.

9. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

You just keep coming up with gems Tam. I'm an art lover myself so love the thread.

10. Tamstrong

A couple of my Goya faves are:

Sleep of Reason
    [​IMG]

Senora Sabasa Garcia
    [​IMG]

Rembrandt knew his bible stories too...

Christ in the Storm on the Lake of Galilee
    [​IMG]
    His depiction of the people was accurate imo, but he was good at capturing the emotion of the story.

11. Tamstrong

I like this one the most...being naked in nature is awesome.

12. Tamstrong

Thanks, GQ. :D

13. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

TRANSLATION : I like this because it's closest to what my own naked ass looks like. :cool:

14. Tamstrong

You and your damned one track mind...lol. The least you can do is post some art along with your pervy comments, Ra-Ra. ;)

15. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Great thread idea, Tam!!

People will likely think I'm weird for this, but this is my all-time most favorite painting EVER. The first time I saw it, it spoke to me. I've had an affinity for it ever since. My brother even gave me a doll of that guy. LOL.

[​IMG]

My other favorite piece of artwork:

[​IMG]

When I was in Paris, several years ago, we stumbled upon a Vincent Van Gogh exhibit at the Musee d'Orsay and I never knew that his paintings are copies of other's work. Interesting!

I have 2 reusable shopping bags with the above images on them. LOL.

And of course the famous Marc Chagall window's at Chicago's Art Institute:

[​IMG]

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Is fantasy themed art okay Ms. Showtime? I know it is since Max posted Frazetta art, so....

Luis Royo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tamstrong

Thanks, Bookie. :D

I've always liked The Scream...I've felt like he looks in the painting countless times. All 3 are great pieces...I love the window concept; it's gorgeous. :cool:

18. Tamstrong

Yes, Ra-Ra, fantasy themed art is okay...lol. I stated clearly that everyone should share the art they like. These are great & I especially like the last one...awesome. :D

19. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

David Boyd - My favourite Australian artist. His paintings are just magic to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't get enough of his work. I wish I could paint with such a glorious glow and magical spirit. :D Some of his work is darker, but even that is fantastic.

20. satyr

satyr New Member

If his work ever makes it to L.A., I'd like to check out a Ron Mueck exhibit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]