Supergirl's love interest will be black

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Elklodge, Feb 21, 2015.

1. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

The six minute trailer barely shows her and Brooks in any shots together, she seems to conveniently have plenty of scenes though with the nerdy WM best friend though.

From the trailer it looks like she has a crush on Olsen, but Olsen is going to be the "wise mentor" figure who pops in every now and then to give her advice.

Skeptical about this one, but time will tell I guess.

2. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Probably so they won't freak out people who are against IR pairings. :-?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  3. Torque

Torque Restricted

I'm black, and even I'm getting tired of the liberal media going out of its way to portray black guy-white girl couples. They don't do this with for instance asian guys with white girls. Asian guys have been thoroughly emasculated by the media while the opposite has happened to us. I have a ton of asian friends, and I feel bad about how the media treats them; as a result, lot of white girls don't take them seriously and don't want to date them.

4. AlabasterGoddess

AlabasterGoddess New Member

The media has 0 to do with me not being attracted to Asian men. They just aren't my cup of tea. The media stereotypical dipects black men as super cool, aggressive, alpha males and yet I hardly see bm ww couples in my area. I suggest you tune into tv less and get out into the real world.

5. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:smt042:rolleyes:

WTF???

Asians are treated a lot better by the "liberal media" than a BM could ever dream.

Dry your eyes simp.

Brothers have been emasculated by the media and SOCIETY from day one...let the Asians fight their own battles,foolish negro.

I knew you were full of it when you described the media as being liberal...like some kind of a malfunctioning right wing robot.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

WTF??!!! Someone please tell me this is a troll.

If you are tired of seeing BM/WW IR 'ships being portrayed on TV & Movies, you've came to wrong forum to express that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

He's beyond troll...he's a damn goblin:smt042

Crying over how Asians are portrayed by the "liberal" media.

Asians are seen as hardworking and intelligent....while BM are seen as lazy,hyper-violent,aids-infested animals.

The out of control Asian gang problem is totally ignored by the media.

8. Shulz021

Spot on with that one; media portrayal of black men as hypersexual savage gangbangers is pretty ridiculous. :smt042

9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Good point

10. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

Greg Berlanti always put an interracial relationship in his shows. It's kind of his calling card. I agree it will be mostly a mentor relationship but the sexual tension will be there for a "will-they-won't they" sort of deal. Gotta give the fanfiction writers plenty to write about.

11. ColiBreh1

Examples other than "Arrow" & "The Flash"?

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

^^ What he said

13. JUANMACKER

JUANMACKER Active Member

Maybe trending in Comics to have IR now...

Batgirl may have a black boyfriend soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2016
  14. Elklodge

Brothers and Sisters - Sally Fields and Danny Glover
    Eli Stone
    Dirty Sexy Money
    Political Animals

15. ColiBreh1

I been think about getting into "Eli Stone" (& "Dirty Sexy Money" to a much lesser degree). Who was actors involved in IR 'ship on that show & the other 2 mentioned?

16. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

My guess is...if Hollywood can't seem to take the plunge, let the comics become the trend to continue to draw out more of this common theme of love.

17. Shulz021

Yep Hollywood still tip-toeing around like it's decades ago. :smt042

18. ColiBreh1

"
    Supergirl: First Look at Jenna Dewan Tatum as Lucy Lane

by James Hibberd | August 31 2015 — 1:01 PM EDT

[​IMG]

Supergirl fans, here’s the first photo plus some new details about the arrival of Lucy Lane.

Jenna Dewan Tatum (The Witches of East End,American Horror Story) plays Lois Lane’s younger sister in a recurring role on the highly anticipated news CBS drama series, joining several episodes into the show’s debut season this fall.

The character has previously been described as “strong, smart and successful in her own right. She’s got a history with Jimmy Olsen (Mehcad Brooks) and she’s come to town to right a previous wrong.”

Now, executive producer Ali Adler teases how Lane’s arrival will impact Kara Zor-El a.k.a. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist).

“We hope to explore the history that Lucy has with James Olsen — or, as Lucy knows him, Jimmy Olsen,” Adler tells EW. “I think we’re going to bring in her father. She not only plays a romantic foil with whatever Kara and James are brewing, but people will also be surprised that she’s really a woman’s woman. She and Kara develop their own friendship, too. We’re not just bringing her in to purposefully create tension. She serves a larger story drive.”

Supergirl brings the DC Comics character into the modern age with Kara leading a double life as a big-city personal assistant who secretly protects National City from alien fugitives who have escaped the Phantom Zone. Supergirltakes flight on Monday, Oct. 26 in a special 8:30 p.m. ET slot on CBS, then moves to its regular 8 p.m. ET slot the next week.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/31/supergirl-lucy-lane
    "

19. Elklodge

I'm glad that she's not just being brought in to make tension, that'd be so cliche but wow this is going to stir the pot a bit. I don't think I've ever seen two white women fight over a black man in a classy way ever on network TV so this has gotten me even more excited for the show.

20. ColiBreh1

Yeah on CBS of all networks with the demographics that watches that network (i.e. Old people). This makes me nervous for the show and wish it was airing on The CW or TNT.