Any Good Documentaries

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by wtarshi, Jul 16, 2010.

1. honeyed

honeyed New Member

I love documentaries. If these have been mentioned already please feel free to discard, I mostly scanned.

"Blackfish" - "Notorious killer whale Tilikum is responsible for the deaths of three individuals, including a top killer whale trainer."

"Dear Zachary" - "A filmmaker decides to memorialize a murdered friend when his friend's ex-girlfriend announces she is expecting his son."

"Blackfish" has really opened my eyes about SeaWorld and other establishments that keep live, wild animals for show.

"Dear Zachary" is just... sad. It was on Netflix last time I checked.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Very interested in seeing this one.

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hope to see some docs at Full Frame next week.

4. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]UjZYMI1zB9s[/YOUTUBE]

5. Morning Star

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

My Little Pony, the cute little colorful ponies and their toy lines back in the 80's never seem to die. Well, back in 2010, a fourth generation of this long standing franchise has seen a strong revival in the form of a cartoon series, notably for the colorful characters, animation, themes and above all, just the idea of a lively, though pastel and static, world coming to life is most pleasing...

...and then there's the controversy.

If you think that the core audience of people who watches the show are little girls in the single digit age, then you'd be wrong. In fact, the majority of people who makes up the devoted audience aren't young girls at all. Rather, we're talking teenage boys to middle aged adult males. Why is a show based on a toy line designed for young girls captivate an audience of males ranging from engineers, scientists, military of all divisions and other areas too? The full documentary can be viewed with just a click below.

Until then, enjoy!

6. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]V1rWCqegp0E[/YOUTUBE]

7. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]z6_fg3p6-O8[/YOUTUBE]

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I was 18 when the My Little Pony cartoon came out and it was what it was, a cartoon aimed at little girls. I recall the first major big screen adaptation had been released and was surprised that actor Tony Randall(The Odd Couple, Sidney Shore) had a role in it. A friend of mine's little sister was crazy about it.
    Then came others like The Care Bears, The Get Along Gang, Mapletown, Jem, Goldie Gold, Golden Girl And The Guardians Of The Gemstone, She-Ra, Barbie cartoons and the one I grew up with The World Of Richard Scharry based on his books.
    I am not at all surprised. This is no different from a Star Trek convention or a comic book, sci-f, fantasy, or horror convention. But these are all designed for fans of these shows and an environment where one can meet and have fellowship with others is a very healthy thing.

9. Soulthinker

Saw Through the Lens Darkly on Black photographers. Enjoyed it. Also,I saw The Nortorious Mr.Bout about the Russian arms dealer that Nicolas Cage played in The Art of War.

10. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

Another netflix doco this week:

"Queen of Versailles"

"A documentary that follows a billionaire couple as they begin construction on a mansion inspired by Versailles. During the next two years, their empire, fueled by the real estate bubble and cheap money, falters due to the economic crisis."

[​IMG]

It was kind of disgusting to watch, and really showed that money does NOT necessarily lead to a glamorous life! Even before they went broke they lived like pigs, mess everywhere, dog shit in every room, tacky fashion & beauty choices. Ewwwww.

I kinda felt for Jacqui though, she tried really hard to stay positive.

But god... I'd sooner be dirt poor and live with dignity than live their awful lifestlye :vom:

11. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

tent city...a look into the homeless in nashville, tn...a reality check for the working poor...how quickly someone could find themselves without a roof over their head

12. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

[YOUTUBE]dhPigi-5ZPA[/YOUTUBE]

13. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

It's on my netflix list!

14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I've seen it but what good are films like this if it doesn't motivate people to actually do something. I truly wonder what its going to take because this shit is unacceptable.

15. Hypestyle

Hypestyle New Member

"Founding Fathers"- a documentary about the unsung New York City party deejays of the 1970s who anticipated the hip-hop movement that would come into play with other more famous personalities.

http://youtu.be/1G13bR0B0-8

16. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

What did you do in response to watching it?

17. Soulthinker

Jacqui's hubby had a shindig for Romney back in 2012.

18. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

Not surprising. He claims he was the reason Bush was elected, but won't go into detail because "it might have been illegal"

19. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Gotta catch this one. He mentioned the remastered album on Real Time 2 weeks ago, but I had no idea about the film. A classic.

20. Morning Star

[YOUTUBE]An29bdpaY70[/YOUTUBE]