Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

... I'd be interested in reading this!

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 out of 5 stars read.

[​IMG]

4 & a half out of 5 stars read.

[​IMG]

4 out of 5 stars read.

The publishers of this book did it & it's author a grave disservice by promoting this book & the two others in the series, as a fantasy/adventure/mystery series akin to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series rather than as a horror/action/mystery series more in line with Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. Because of this the publishers did not renew the author's contract after only his third book in the series for failing to meet & exceed level of sales with Butcher's Dresden Files.

3. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

4. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Just competed the Shadow series with in the Enders Game series. 5 books. Excellent!

5. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I remember having to do a group read of this book in 8th grade english lit. class,and I didn't take it seriously. Now that I'm reading it as an adult,I'm surprised at how strong and intelligent she was for such a young girl.

6. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

It is a much better read as an adult. I just read it last semester for one of my classes.

Along with that book, we also had to read this book:

http://blog.shakeandco.com/2009/10/anne-frank-her-life-in-words-and.html

I HIGHLY recommend it.

It's an amazing supplement to her diary and answers all of the questions of what happened to each member of the house, how they were found, and includes pictures of them all, which I found extremely helpful.

It's an amazing resource and an extremely quick read as it contains mostly pictures and the text included in it is short and sweet.

It's such a heartbreaking story and while I was reading her diary and this supplement, I couldn't help but get angry at how long it took the Allies to finally really do something about the Nazis.

I should add that the link is to a random bookstore because I couldn't find a good image of the book. It should be available on Amazon.com, in your local bookstore, maybe your library, etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. 1449225

Thank you BookWorm! I'm going to pick up the 'Words and Pictures' book this evening from the library. Reading Anne's story put things in perspective for me as far as why WWII took place. I learned all of this in elementary and middle school,but I never paid attention or took it seriously. I'm finding myself having to go back and relearn a lot of things that I'd already been taught. I don't know if that's more of a reflection on my teachers or on account of me always goofing off in school :smt043

8. Bookworm616

You're welcome. Did you pick up the book?

Sometimes whilst we're learning things in school, we don't have a context or life experience to really comprehend what we're learning until much later.

9. 1449225

I got it,and I'm reading both at the same time. Having those visuals makes 'the diary' that much more interesting. I have a question: I wanted know who gave up their hiding place,so I googled it. There was a list of suspects,but one was Miep Braams and one of the people hiding with the Franks was Miep Gies,are they the same person?

10. Bookworm616

No, they are two different people.

In a book describing the betrayal and transportation to Auschwitz of her own family, Eva Schloss, whose mother Elfriede (Mutti) Geiringer married Otto Frank after the War, tells of the trial of a Nazi collaborator Miep Braams.
    "Braams was the girlfriend of a Dutch resistance worker called Jannes Haan, and she was supposed to be helping him protect Jews and help the Resistance. As the war progressed, Haan became suspicious that his girlfriend was really a double agent for the Nazis: an awful lot of the Jewish families he entrusted to her were vanishing without trace, or being rounded up. When she became aware of his suspicions, Braams betrayed Haan to the Gestapo, and he was executed. It was later estimated that Miep Braams was responsible for betraying as many as two hundred Jewish families, including ours." (p. 196)In April 1949, Braams received a sentence of (only) six years. Schloss does not state that she was responsible for the betrayal of the Frank family.

Miep Gies:

Hermine Santruschitz (15 February 1909 – 11 January 2010), better known as Miep Gies, was one of the citizens who hid, her family and four other Jews from the in an annex above Anne's father's business premises during. She was Austrian by birth, but in 1920, at the age of only eleven, Miep was taken in as a foster child by a Dutch family to whom she became very attached. Although she was initially only to stay for six months, this stay was extended to one year because of frail health, after which she chose to remain with them, living the rest of her life in the Netherlands. In 1933 she began working for, a businessman who had moved with his family from Germany to the Netherlands in hopes of sparing his family Nazi persecution because they were. Miep became a close, trusted friend of the family and was a great support to them during the two years they spent in hiding. She retrieved Anne Frank's diary after the family was arrested and kept the papers safe until Otto Frank returned from Auschwitz in 1945, and learned of his younger daughter's death.

11. 1449225

Thanks BW.

12. Bookworm616

So after hearing nothing but amazing things about this book from people around me, and with the movie coming out, I finally made an effort to read Gone Girl.

[​IMG]

I don't know if it was the overhype of it from people I knew, but whilst it caught my interest, it didn't get me riveted until the last 100 pages or so. And then I felt the ending was anti-climactic. It just wasn't what I expected at all, and I thought it was kind of a copout.

About 50 pages in, I made 2 predictions to myself about where the story was going. The first one turned out to be true, but the second one didn't. At the beginning, the author made such a fuss about both of them being out of work writers, that I thought that would come into bigger play later in the story.

I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it and might be interested in reading it.

I've read the author said she changed the ending for the movie. Then her and the director backtracked a bit on that statement. I do hope she improves the ending. The ending is just so....blah.

13. BeigeForWhite

BeigeForWhite New Member

The last three books?

Hey, Folks,
    As often as I tell others and myself that I prefer to read instead of watching films, I'd been lying until this summer.

I found "Gideon's Trumpet" a while back and finally am finishing that. I'm eager to do so, so that I can begin "Fahrenheit 451," which I pulled from the biblio last week.

I read six books last year, but found myself in a stubborn stall this year. That began after I read "The Hunger Games" around the New Year.

Will Wright WillWright.me

14. satyr

satyr New Member

Run - Blake Crouch: C-

Wayward Pines - Blake Crouch: B

Currently reading.

Better Off Without 'Em: A Northern Manifesto for Southern Secession - Chuck Thompson

15. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I'm way behind on my recreational reading, so it's been mostly textbooks. However, I just finished reading "Finding Florida" by T. D. Allman and am now reading Erich Fromm's "The Sane Society".

16. satyr

satyr New Member

Light reading but hardly recreational. I remember reading it for college and don't remember a damn thing about it. I do believe (without consulting wikipedia) that Fromm was either directly a member of the Frankfurt School (Marcuse, Adorno, etc.) or existed on the periphery of it.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

I have completed all the books in the Enders Game. I found them intriguing in that you can see the author developing his thoughts about the series and where it is going. The first book is definitely had towards an adolescent audience, the few books after are not. It was a sad farewell when I was done with the many books in the series.

I'm halfway through Stanislav Lem's 'Fiasco' a sci fi novel well anchored in astrophysics/science and extrapolation from it. Although it does show it's age in the very beginning (tape decks and smoking), it quickly passes that stage. It is a clunky read, language wise, with a lot of detours and introspective analyses and explanations. Even so, its a fantastic read, especially for someone that likes astrophysics. Lol. He cetraintly liked the subject.

18. Bookworm616

I haven't heard of these, but I believe you mean Mark Tufo.

These sound like interesting books. The first one reminds me of a hybrid of like Tron and The Hunger Games.

19. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

That's a very good read even though at times the author goes a bit over-the-top.

"Trouble In Mind" (deals with first hand accounts of the Jim Crow days)

"A Tap on the Window" (a very good mystery that comes apart a bit at the end)

"A Mechanic and a Gentleman" (the title makes no sense; read the book for research and fell in love with these real life people; Hollywood should make a movie out of it).

"Hiroshima Nagasaki" (eye-opening book on how the decision to use nuclear weapons on Japan came about in the first place and the consequences of such use afterwards)

"Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker"

"The Secret History of Las Vegas" (a mystery that gets more interesting as the story unfolds)

Currently On:

"Freeman" ( a period drama/novel)

20. satyr

satyr New Member

Galveston - Nic Pizzolato: A

Hot damn, what a good book.