The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Okay, I don’t know if this has been done before or not since I don’t have the time nor the patience to be trolling through all the old threads to be sure and if this thread crashes and burns then so be it.

I don’t label myself as a nerd, but I’m man enough to admit I love nerdy stuff, and since I’ve notice that there are other folks here that do as well or indeed call themselves nerds, I thought I’d make a thread that would allow those of us with love of all things considered as nerdy to post up things we love or just interact with members who may share the same love of a particular nerd topic or activity. Since a majority of nerd related things are associated with media I thought this would be the section to put this thread. So anyone with a love for anything in the realm of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, Comics/Superheroes, Anime, Role Playing games, Toys, Action Figures, Movie props/posters, etc., feel free to post and discuss it here.

I’m posting up some random things here just to start things off.

[YOUTUBE]r_t605Th-QI?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_WdV8cCGxxY?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3PWEno4B4yo?fs[/YOUTUBE]

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Author Jim Butcher is one of the various writers I follow. I've read and enjoyed all of his Dresden Files novels featuring wizard/detective Harry Dresden but he also has a six book sword and fantasy series called the Codex Alera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I'm a nerd. Straight up.

Watch these animes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I've seen Gantz, Speed Grapher and of course some of the Deathnote series. All of them are pretty tight series. I like following the various incarnations of the Mobile Gundam series. Most in my opinion are pretty good.

5. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I've never been too big on mech suit shows like Gundam. However, I do like Full Metal Panic. They mix mech action with comdey. Gundam seems a little too serious for me.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

The Gundam series do tend to be serious for the most part, but there were a couple that were lighter in tone. Mobile Fighter G Gundam is the one that pops to the top of my head right now. Yeah, Full Metal Panic is cool too.

7. Redeemed One Jr

Redeemed One Jr Active Member

Hmm, I've heard good things about Death Note, thought about giving it a try.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Gundam Wing is Truth

I had the game for my dreamcast, lol

wont be getting much pussy playing that on your 50inch plasma

but..my nerd factor reaches it's peak when games like this come around

[​IMG]

screenshot from 'Warhammer: Online' featuring a Warrior Priest

this isn't my character, but he was the same class. I love the lore and stat-tracking (you know...+5 Cape of Destruction) when it comes to those kinds of games. I freak out when I can finally level up to get a bigger Hammer or learn spells that allows me to give 'heals' to group members.

:smt055

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah, Gundam Wing was the shit. That Heero Yuy was a cold mutha fukkah. All the moble suit designs were pretty tight, but that enemy mobile Gundam Epyon was my favorite.

[​IMG]

And since you brought up games : The new Batman Arkham City. The first one, Arkham Asylum was the shit. This one looks pretty good too.

[YOUTUBE]9Zkd0tbbuyI?fs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5t-1i3Bqj0U?fs[/YOUTUBE]

10. TheHuntress

TheHuntress Well-Known Member

Wow, pettyofficer, I never would've pegged you for Warhammer. That's pretty awesome. :)

11. TheHuntress

I'm a nerd, too.

Here are some of my faves...

I play WoW...this is a shot of my toon. Level 80 Human Warlock :)

[​IMG]

Also, one of my favorite book series...

[​IMG]

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

it was the only traditional, fantasy-based MMORPG that i paid a subscription for.

like i said, i get my jollies assigning skill points, weapons, armor, that sort of stuff.

havent played that in years.

I've also been a pretty adamant player of Battleground: Europe.

The development team behind that have worked hard to build a MMO battlefield simulator. Everything from weakpoints on armor, particular amounts and types of explosive components found in bombs, etc, etc. The community is rock-solid (many are former military and fellow ww2 buffs), and it's a very team-oriented game that features a 'high command' structure composed of volunteer players, that assign areas of operations, attack/defense objectives, etc, etc. Pretty geeky sim for military buffs.:smt055

I credit that for my knowledge of ww2 equipment and locations in Europe. Like I said, between the devs and the robust ww2 community that plays it, the game is a pretty accurate simulation for that era of history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

this is just a small fraction of towns within the game. Damn near every single town in France/Germany is in the game and walkable.

you can literally drive from Dunkirk to Brussels if you wanted. Would take you several hours, lol

14. TheHuntress

That makes sense- a lot of those games are really well researched and thought out, and if the player base is history buffs and former military, I'd imagine it's got to be amazing. Those screen shots seem pretty dead on. Both grandfathers were in WWII (Army and Marines) and I used to hear a lot of stories when they were alive, so I love WWII stuff- and Vietnam, because my father was there.

How do you feel about the Call of Duty series?

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

call of duty pales in comparison after playing Battleground: Europe.

nothing is scripted in an MMO. All of the missions are dynamic, with the allied/german sides both entirely composed of players, that fill the high command and down. For instance, you may be asked to participate in a large-scale paradrop to secure a certain sector in Antwerp, not knowing what to expect. In one mission, you may have 0 opposition. In another mission, you may have a platoon of panzers enroute to kick you ass, because they spotted a load of chutes in the sky.

16. TheHuntress

I figured, but I was curious as to if you felt it was a semi-accurate representation of things...despite the fact that you're pretty boxed into the confines of what the game will allow.

I get how MMO works, just from playing World of Warcraft, and I don't think people give the strategy necessary to play these types of games enough credit.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

ha just making sure

Battleground has a slow, methodical pace with LOTS of planning. One shot in that game usually means you're dead. Factor in lots of travel time on your feet as infantry, and it makes you play that much smarter.

What do you mean by semi-accurate tho? There's so many areas that can be touched upon. One area is engagement distance. In Call of Duty, you rarely have long range firefights. In Battleground: Europe, you can be picked off by a skilled player (remember when I said how in-depth the development team and community is) with an understanding of bullet drag/distance, from 700-800 meters away using an old bolt-action Lee-Enfield. Situations like that mimics what you can find in the real world, which is why using cover and maintaining that 360 degree awareness is vital.

In Call of Duty, I never felt like I could be shot dead by someone damn near a kilometer away, which takes away that realism. You also don't have stamina in CoD. In Battleground, stamina plays an important role, as the devs went on to further identify it as 'ATP' or Adenosine-TriPhosphate (energy). Paratroopers have more stamina, due to the in-game realization that they were generally trained harder, and expected to cover more ground than regular legs. Even shooting certain weapons cause player fatigue, such as using an Anti-Tank rifle. I've never seen that modeled in any game/sim i've played.

18. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

HELLA want this, and I'm not even an MMO kinda person.

A Fallout MMO or Elder Scrolls MMO would be THE SHIT!!! A MAss Effect MMO would be god status.

[​IMG]

Speaking of Mass Effect, this game series is the shit. Especially the 2nd one. Can't remember the last time I got so immersed in so many characters personalities and backstory in a game.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

the older I get, the harder it has become for me to get absorbed in lore anymore. I remember becoming completely engrossed in Final Fantasy and the whole 'Cloud vs Sephiroth' rage with the other nurds, back in the 90s..but that was it.

However...with Mass Effect, I did like the lore and I did give a damn about the characters. The same can be said for Dragon Age:Origins. If you can give me good gameplay and a decent, thrilling story to care about, i'm sold.

:eek:

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]

this game was good too. I loved the whole martial arts theme. The fighting mechanics were pretty decent too. Wasn't like a regular RPG, where you point and click either.

This game was on some double dragon shit. Even allowed you to switch fight styles. One minute you're doing some bruce lee.....the next minute you're doing a throwback, Kung-Fu theater death touch on a mothafucka

[YOUTUBE]QEyyUi-tT_c[/YOUTUBE]