"EVERYTHING NOT QUITE RIGHT WITH...": Videos

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by hellified, Mar 10, 2015.

1. hellified

hellified Active Member

2. hellified

hellified Active Member

[YOUTUBE]f4vjjaSAwBQ[/YOUTUBE]

Prince stars as The Kid in this epic tale of music, love, not so subtle dominant/submissive play and Morris Day hamming it up in a movie that had a lot of music yet wasn't a musical!

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Blasphemy.

Everything about Purple Rain is right.

4. hellified

hellified Active Member

i guess some people don't want to be confronted with the truth..The Kid was a dick who got over with ONE song:p:p:p

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Looking back, show business in the 80's was a mind game unto itself. Everything had a slight tilt to it. For instance, hair and fashion sold equally as well as a film , tv show or an album. It was something to take from a medium. Along with that came the attitude which could be assumed as defiant, arrogant, overly confident, misogynistic and mysterious. I have met people who were like that back in the days.

As I had once mentioned before, the 80's was a time of fear and the prospect of a nuclear war lingered in the collective mindset at the time.. Music, film, television and books were the remedies to help people escape.

I cannot disagree with the narrator about the Kid, he was so self-absorbed, his ego was bigger than his band.

The musical styles between The Revolution and The Time were intended to be different, in my humble opinion and the band that had everyone dancing was a nice break in the action.

Appollonia was no one's victim and she turned out to be the best girlfriend ever.

Purple Rain is what it is.

The narrator was dead on with the last sentence. Prince was one of a kind.

6. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

What about the attitude of The Kid on Graffii Bridge?

7. hellified

hellified Active Member

But don't you think that kind of undermines the rivalry since theyre not really competing on the same level or genre...
    The four tops and the temptations have a rivalry because they essentially make the same genre of music..same with beatles and rolling stones..

its kinda hard to say that adele and rhianna have a rivalry

she got smacked up twice and called a slut in a song (darling nikki) and still came back is that a great girlfriend or a doormat?

:p:p

8. hellified

hellified Active Member

we shall never speak of that "movie" again...

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The styles between The Revolution and The Time were representations of their own identities, hence the rivalry. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were not rivals. The Common thread between the two was the interest in rhythm and blues(there were rhythm and blues bands in the U.K.).

The Temptations and The Four Tops didn't have a rivalry. They toured together and there was no rivalry according to Temptations founding member Otis Williams. They rode on the same tour bus.

Apollonia's return to the Kid symbolized that despite everything, she still feels for him.
    Love is strange.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I think the Kid sort of lost his way in Graffiti Bridge.

11. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Calling it a movie is awfully generous, don't you think?

Understatement of the year. One of these days when I'm feeling masochistic I may actually try to finish watching it. So far I can't get past the first half hour. It is awful.

12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

What retard would make one of these videos about Purple Rain? You make such vids about films that are generally considered timeless classics or relatively recent movies that made a lot of money including those that are nonetheless derided (like the Star Wars prequels). Purple Rain doesn't fit either category. It was a flawed but successful film from the early 80s. It has its legion of supporters but was never a critical darling. It is in effect a a campy cult classic. You don't take time to point out the flaws in those films because that would be redundant. That's like making a critique of The Rocky Picture Horror Show. Or Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. These are movies to be enjoyed DESPITE their flaws; these are films that are pretty much used as means to generate nostalgia for most viewers. They are not meant to be taken seriously so there is no reason to take it apart piece by piece. It isn't as if anyone is elevating Purple Rain to the level of Singing in the Rain, The Sound of Music or even 8Mile.

Purple Rain is enjoyable for two reasons: Prince's great music and Appollonia's even greater body. Period. And that's more than enough.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The only thing I liked about Graffiti Bridge was the Kid's new girlfriend. She wasn't as hot as Apollonia Kotero but she was cute in my opinion
    , the short-haired Latina working at the club was another cutie.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

And it made Prince to be recognized as a serious rock star.

15. hellified

hellified Active Member

[​IMG]

why do cats take shit waaay to fuckin seriously:confused::confused:

whites do this shit all day long and they get the humor and support (everything wrong with..) black people act like you slapped their momma and be dead serious about that shit.

and Purple Rain is NO ONE'S comedy nor is it camp unless you think domestic abuse and attempted suicide are camp. That movie has many dark moments and dramatic edge so its stupid trying to act like its in the same category as The Rocky Picture Horror Show. Or Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

They were going for something real not something meant to be taken lightly or dismissed, the fact that it was taken lightly and dismissed just means they missed the mark. And therefore they open to criticism.

NO SACRED COWS!!

16. hellified

hellified Active Member

The revolution and the time didn't have a rivalry either it was manufactured especially when you consider BOTH was created by prince. The rollingstone vs beatles and four tops vs temps wasn't serious either but you actually prove why stones and beatles were compared by fans..they both share a common music genre. The revolution and time don't. Hence why their rivalry is kinda off.

17. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

This is like the BET defense, right? Copy all of the things white channels have already done and then get mad when people point out how you did it a second rate job compared to those white channels.

First of all I enjoy the shit out of stuff like that normally when done well and for a movie worth taking down a peg or two. But as I already pointed out it is redundant doing such dissections for an old campy cult classic. If someone had done the same for The Rocky Picture Horror Show I would have gotten on them just as much. You do these videos for recent hit films of for movies that have stood the test of time as standard bearers. Trying to make fun of Purple Rain is a waste of time considering the movie itself is mostly silly in the first place.

By the way I have enjoyed plenty of these types of videos for movies that I and the majority of folks consider to be fine works of art. So it isn't as if I think any movie is too sacred to be made fun of. Its just that some movies aren't worth the time because people they were never looked upon that highly in the first place.

It doesn't matter what the intent of the scenes/movie was or if it touched upon dark subjects. What determines if a movie becomes camp is its execution. I will always cherish Purple Rain but it is laughable as a drama, even a musical drama. Bad writing, mostly bad acting and a first time director working with a cast whom for the most part never acted before in their lives tend to lead to those type of results. Yeah, there is some serious stuff going on in the film but that can't make up for the the laughable portrayal we get on screen. Perhaps you are getting confused with "The Color Purple".

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

In the film, the only rivalry between The Revolution and The Time was to continue to keep performing at the popular venue they perform in because of the crowds that go there and the possibility of getting discovered by a reputable record producer. The Kid and Morris shared the same dream.

In reality, Prince and Morris Day were business partners under Prince's Paisley Park record label.

19. hellified

hellified Active Member

Thats not the BET defense..there is a real difference in how blacks perceive things done by whites and the exact same thing or similar done by blacks. YOU probably perceive it as second rate because of that. Unfortunately its not unusual its conditioning.

Second you admit its poorly executed drama and bad writing...guess what NO ONE sets to do that. The fact that youre laughing at stuff thats not supposed to be funny is testament to that so comparing purple rain to intended comedies is just plain erroneous period as RHPC and B2:EB were done that way on purpose. The intention means something..becuz PR was intended to be serious drama with light moments means they get judged like any other film that did it much better..doesn't matter that the director was first timer or the cast inexperienced.

IF color purple was poorly executed because spielberg was a first time directer and whoopie goldberg and danny glover never acted before BUT the music was great...would that get a pass from you too?

And if in your opinion some movies aren't worth the time to critique then why complain about the critique itself...you are doing the very thing youre complaining about.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. hellified

hellified Active Member

honestly that whole set up made no sense considering in a venue like that you'd have a clear headliner. There were 3 acts at First Ave. Dez Dickerson and the Modernaires, The Time, The Revolution...of those 3 one act would be the clear headliner.

When the movie starts the revolution is playing first then the time..later the time is playing before the revolution and dez's band seems to be playing before both even tho his band had the whole club dancing.

so the whole thing is :smt101:smt101 :lol: