Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

#MisleadingMarketing

:smt043

2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I actually wasn't really impressed with Red Tails. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found it lacking.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  3. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I felt it was important to go and support the film and the idea that there is an audience out there for stories that don't center around the exploits of white men.

4. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Completely agree! That's why I paid full price for a ticket. Didn't even wait for a matinee lol.

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True G. Wished there is a doc of the Italian wives of the airmen.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

What happened after the war with the Airmen & their Italian wives? I've seen folks say that when Black men who fought in WWII came back home they were treated like shit & were lynched if they had a picture of a WW in their wallet.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Me, too. But there was a documentary on white women in Britain who had romances with black American G.I.s during WW2. I saw it on YouTube.
    I'll have to see if there were any stories about Italian war brides with black G.I.s.

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that, but it's sounds about right. SMH

9. ColiBreh1

Link?

10. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I learn something every day G. Hope to find out about it.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember briefly seeing the film Super Fly TNT. It was set in Italy.

Boxer Evander Holyfield moved to Italy to retire from boxing.

Despite earthquakes and maybe a volcanic eruption from Stromboli , I guess it's safe to say that Italy is not a bad place to live as an expatriate in some parts like Florence or Milan.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  12. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Very detailed critique of Red Tails. Although I did enjoy the film, I have to agree with the critics. The timing of Terence Blanchard's score seemed a bit off. But being a fan of orchestral film music scores, I liked it. I was surprised that the critics didn't mention Spike Lee's Miracle At St. Anna as a retort to Lee's argument with Clint Eastwood.
    But that wasn't the focus of the critique.

Glory, directed by Edward Zwick was considered by Civil War magazine as one of the best Civil War films ever made. It was a very emotional film all throughout.

My final thought is that if a film based upon actual historical events is made, it should be as true to those facts as well as those people involved in the event(s). The statement "Based on a true story" or "Based on true events" is enough to catch viewer's attention.

14. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

15. ColiBreh1

She's been in some of his other films, like in the 2015 movie "Captive".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

17. Target 02

Target 02 Active Member

18. ColiBreh1

New U.K. trailer:

19. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the 2nd longer trailer. Usually the first or 2nd trailer tells you what the movie is going to be focused on. Whether they are going to focus on the political side of their relationship more than the forbidden love story, vice-versa or both.

Either way, overall I just hope she didn't water down their relationship where they PURPOSELY avoid kissing or love scenes with the excuse of "we don't want to offend anybody" or the other lame excuses they give. Because we know movies still have a long way to go when it comes to bm/ww couples. Remember they edit out a love scene with Idris Elba and Charlize Theron in Prometheus.

Amma Asante is too good and this film is getting early oscar buzz.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  20. ColiBreh1

I checked the YouTube channel of the studio that is releasing this movie in the UK/internationally (https://www.youtube.com/user/patheuk), The 2 trailers I posted in this thread are the only trailers that have been released so far.