Whites See "Black" Americans as less competent than "African" Americans

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by VitaminRich, Jan 4, 2015.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Excellent points.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Is it a fair point though? I get the psychological impact makes a difference but how much so? Its difficult not to notice people who come from places where it's literally hell on Earth but some how come here with less and fly far past people of the same race who have already been here.
    I'm not placing blame just trying to see what's really going on.

3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

From what I've seen immigrants typically have two important traits; a belief in self and a concentration on the effort required to achieve long term goals.

They come here focused on the grind and don't really have time for other nonsense.

But it starts with believing your hard work over time will end with good results.

IMO that's the disconnect for many Black Americans, or even understanding the role and importance formal education plays in advancing one's position in life.

Black folk too often are short term thinkers and don't really plan decades ahead in life.

Where immigrants see opportunity, many Blacks from collected experience see futility.

That's the bridge that has to be built to the Black underclass, making the case that graduating from HS and pursuing post HS education or specific training in a trade is the ONLY possible option to improve one's position in life.

Even if that HS is subpar.

For immigrants who come from situations that are 10x worse than anything Blacks in the U.S. have to deal with, many of those immigrants arrive with a strong belief in a traditional family structure, the importance of parenting their children from within the household and an emphasis on education.

Too many of us don't even start with these basic building blocks for success,and that's a huge problem.

Rebuilding the concept of the Black family IMO would go a long way towards improving the condition of millions of Black people in this country.

I never stayed out late in middle and HS because that was the house rule.
    It wasn't up for discussion.
    For many that's a common experience, but for others it was not, as an example.

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

U hit it on the head .

5. K

K Well-Known Member

Could it be that the difference is that immigrants have a perspective of the new place as being all about opportunity and doing whatever they need to do to take advantage of the opportunities, whereas those who are born within it are focused on what is lacking (whether justified or not)?

6. andreboba

Sure, I would think there's some of that.
    You need a certain mindset to leave the country of your birth and emigrate to a new nation.

7. The Dark King

Very well said and I totally agree especially the bolded part.
    We lack faith, we lack patience but that's also probably due to so many generations of the very little you have being taken from you so one develops the why try attitude. The only solid things we've seen are sports and entertainment which is why so many of our kids strive for that instead of becoming doctors and engineers. You rarely ever hear poor kids of Indian and Asian descent focused on entertainment, you gotta wonder why.

8. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

Typical immigrant sucking going on...as well as simplification and denial as to what Black people go thru and have to deal with in AMERICA that immigrants don't have to face or deal with.

Why don't they do all that good magical stuff where they come from??
    Funny how they stick together in America but not where they come from.

Let's be real.
    First generation immigrants..hard working
    Send generation...kinda' hardworking
    Third generation...ain't shit.

9. andreboba

The difference is long term goal setting and psychological outlook.

It's not just immigrants either.

Black folk from the worst 'hoods and economically disadvantaged backgrounds have overcome their environments by simply going to school, working a job a couple hours, coming home and hitting the books, staying off the streets, avoiding like the plague any and all possible criminal behavior and not having children before you're married.

It's not rocket science although we like to talk about it like it's a big mystery.

All my uncles grew up in the rural South and ALL of them took the same path to eventually being able to buy their own homes and raise families; they worked hard in HS then either went directly to college or joined the military first then got their BA after they were discharged.

Every one of my uncles grew up in the Jim Crow South where schools were segregated and we were still getting lynched.

That path still works today no matter where you come from or how difficult your home situation is.

We've got the wrong role models in the Black community. Too many athletes, gang bangers and entertainers.
    As least some kid pursuing hoop dreams knows he has to go to college to get to the next level.

The Black immigrant experience provides a different role model for Black youth, that's all.

By seeing people who like them, maybe eventually they can see themselves doing similar things.

10. flaminghetero

Non-White immigrants are surfing on the coattails of Black Americans,so we must be doing something right.

It is a luxury for them KNOWING that when they come to America they will not be at the bottom.

Nobody comes to America to be at the bottom.

11. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

This. Everybody tries to step on america's classic underclass (does it get more underclass than slave?), while ignoring that even underclass whites aren't doing so well as compared to immigrants.

On top of that, underclasses don't do well anywhere, even in the paradise countries immigrants come from.

Check it out -- if you come from someplace where there's little opportunity, you're going to positively gorge on it when you find it here.

If you come from a culture with intense competition over achievement and material trappings, you're going to compete for those things intensely.

On the other hand if you come from a culture where good outcomes aren't expected (and people both outside and within your culture drum that into your head from birth), you're not going to reach for certain forms of success as intensely. Studies have shown that if you expect that your work will result in a good outcome, you go for it more vigorously. If you don't, you go half-assed. That's just human nature.

Anyway, I'm not in competition with any fucking culture. And no, not all people from immigrant cultures are doing well, obviously. (Even asians.) People push the myths, because it's part of the racial paradigm.

Like, even if you're doing well, it doesn't matter. You're black, so you're failure personified. That's just the race equation talking.

I'm only in competition with myself. Would be nice if I didn't have to navigate society's grudge against me as I make my way, but hey -- that's life, so no time to waste.

Also would be nice if blacks would learn to not spend the $$ so freely -- and certainly not spend their $$ so freely with outsiders in the shadow of the race paradigm... but you can't tell them that.

Black people are sooo racist (so the nazis say) -- yet wild horses couldn't drag them away from handing profit to non-black people. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

12. flaminghetero

As long as Whites feel they are doing better than Black people they don't care how bad the Asians and Indians (and corporate America)are cleaning their clocks.

13. The Dark King

Accurate as fuck. As long as everyone is doing better than us they're happy doesn't matter if they're getting roasted

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Who the hell can compete with Asians? They're on a whole other level lol.

15. The Dark King

Nigerians Jamaicans Russians looks like any place where people have it tough they value education like water and air

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Right, Right. I'll give you Nigerians and Jamaicans, but Russians? Are we confusing toughness with high levels of schooling?

17. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

I compete with them everyday. It can be done.

They work hard. I'll give'em that. But there's also 2.5+ (out of 7) billion of them concentrated in a small portion of the world. That's why they work so hard.

18. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I agree....america has this undercover hatred for schools

19. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

maybe many public schools because they get defunded in poor neighborhoods...

but America also has the best universities in the world.

20. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Right there

Also public schools are seen as free daycare for a lot of parents