Apple or Android?

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Nikkers, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nikkers

Nikkers Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new phone. Going later today to get it, still uncertain of which I want.

I have to get pre-paid plans since the contracts here suck balls (make me pay for talking minutes I CANNOT use... waste of $). Thus, there's no change of getting a "free" phone with my contract lol.

I'm used to my ipod, to the ipad, etc. So naturally, getting an iPhone makes sense to me. But I can't help but feel I'm avoiding the android phones just because I don't want to leave my comfort zone.

I'm going to use this to help me choose which phone to get, but I figured we can talk about those phones in general.

Do you use apple or android?
    Which phone do you have?
    What are the pros/ cons?
    What do you use the phone for?

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I used to have Verizon and now have T-Mobile - each time I bought a new phone through either provider, the sales associate recommended the Android. Every time. Not sure all the reasons why, but one is that the Android seems to be more versatile.

I just upgraded from an HTC Sensation to a Samsung Galaxy 4. Haven't had time to play with it in-depth, but so far, I really like it. I'm joined at the hip with my phone. I don't use a lot of apps, but I text and use the internet and Facebook a lot. I don't use it much for music, but that's mainly because my batteries seem to run down quick in my phones.

I'm lost without my phone.

PS I like T-Mobile's new Jump program. Can upgrade to a new phone every 6months if I want.

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Do you use apple or android? Apple

Which phone do you have? iPhone 5

What are the pros/cons? I'm not a super technical person, so I honestly don't know all the specs for this phone, I just know it works for me! It's lightweight, but can take a beating (I drop it at least twice a day, and it's still in perfect condition...it may be the awesome RAIDER case doing it's job at protecting though ;)). I like that I can fit more apps per screen (compared to the 4). I like that the screen is a tad bigger than the 4, but still fits in my small hand. It's crazy fast. Battery life is pretty good (but honestly, I'm on my phone 24/7 so I always have a portable charger with me...no battery is everlasting lol). I like that I can talk and be on the internet at the same time (maybe all phones can do this, not sure...but it's important to me so I dig it!).

What do you use the phone for? Everything. All my email accounts are set up on my phone (work, Hotmail, gmail, yahoo), my calendars, etc. I text like a mad woman. I use it for my fantasy football, I leave my ipod at work and use my phone in the car and on my runs, I use it for all the random internet needs. I use the phones camera and video features as well, and I think they're pretty good (love the panoramic pic option). The most complaining I hear about the iphone is it's maps. Honestly, I've used the maps a few times and it's always worked just fine. Never had any problems, directions are clear and get me where I'm going! Best feature though...facetime. I facetime almost daily and while there are apps available to serve this purpose for android users, they aren't as good (imo) as facetime. I get a lot more freezing via apps then I do when using facetime, so it can get frustrating.

I will say though that all my IT friends hate apple. None of them can ever give me an actual reason why they dislike the brand, except price. As far as I'm concerned, everything is expensive when it first comes out (I was due for an upgrade anyways, and I pre-ordered the iphone 5 for like $300 I think), but these phones aren't unreasonably priced now...I think they're about $200. I absolutely love my phone, and I think it was totally worth the money paid.

One of my docs was showing me the galaxy s4, and it looked really cool but it's just way too big for me. I like to tuck my phone in my wristlet when I'm running errands and that phone wouldn't fit. Also, it was hard (impossible) to hold with one hand and text lol. May sound insignificant but I'm a multitasker and I need to be able to text with one hand (I personally don't like the voice recognition texting option, so the one handed deal is a must for me).

Again, I'm not a technical person so these are just my opinions on the phone. I'm sure there are peeps here who can/will give you the technical breakdown between apple/android 8)

4. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

If you already have an iPad and an iPod then the safe bet would be to go with the iPhone since you're already used to the OS. As for me, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is the best phone I've ever had. So, despite your Apple background, I say go for the Android. Plus you get the added benefits of expandable storage and removable batteries. I have a 64gb SD card in my phone and at least three spare batteries.

For example, right now I'm using a massive extended battery but it gives me at least a day and a half when power saving mode is on. So far I have no complaints!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

They are pretty much the same, can't go wrong with either... which phones are you looking at?

6. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

I shall keep my opinions to myself.
    But I will say that as an iOS user droid platform is way frustrating for me to navigate. I can and have done it. But it doesn't have the same flow as iOS.
    There. I was nice.

If you can wait..
    Apple is unveiling iPhone 5s and 5c.

Konichiwa bitches.
    iPhones will now come in color.

7. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

And I will be the owner of a hot pink iPhone 5s should they introduce that color! Better camera, better screen resolution, faster processor...yes please! I can find someone to give my 5 to I'm sure!

8. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

These are all reasons our sales associate gave us as reasons for buying the Android vs iPhone. He said if people already have an Apple product, they're twice as likely to go with the iPhone. I'm happy with a Droid. But I've never used an iPhone, so I have nothing to compare it with.

9. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Inorite?

Sell that thing and put it toward the cost of the iPhone 5C

Sell it BEFORE they release the next gen.
    Value will decrease after.

10. Nikkers

Raider, the techs don't matter that much to me either, I'm interested in the use... so thanks for that! =)

The hot pink iPhone sounds awesome. My iPod touch is already pink :smt003

After I posted this, I remembered my friend could use his S3 as a hotspot. When I was making absolutely NO SENSE trying to explain something to him, he turned on the hotspot, I hopped on it (on the ipod) to google what I was trying to explain. :p So it made me realize.... I could get the S3, if there's anything I'd need/ want to use the ipod for, I can always just give the hotspot button a poke :p

I can't wait. As it is, I have no car here at home now :( And no phone... makes it hard to go out and do things I want... Wouldn't be able to meet up with any of my friends if a bus was late :p
    They come in color, I love my ipod touch being pink :D

I need to be able to like... edit word files. Do iPhones allow that? Basic other things, I can do on any phone at all, lol.
    But since most of the work I'll be doing is done in word files (press releases, biographies, flyers etc)... I need to be able to do that. No point of having a phone that's "like" a computer if I still have to run to my laptop to change a single word in a press release draft lol.

I can see why people would be twice as likely to go with the iPhone, exactly why I'm trying to consider everything.

The phone I used to have (the one I think I told you I wanted to run over w/ my car) was an android. But, it was a terrible phone anyways, I typed my texts faster than the phone could handle. It ate data really badly (and the data/ wifi was confusing, could never tell which was which) and basically didn't feel like a "good" phone.
    For awhile that scared me away from android phones, but I've heard good things now, willing to reconsider :p

11. Nikkers

I've been "oooooh!-ing" over the Samsung Galazy S4. But at $725, ouch. The S3 is $550.

I wanna get the S4, since it's the newest, but momma bear is paying not me. By the time activation fees are included, the 1st month's payment, taxes etc. I'm not letting her pay nearly 1k for a phone.
    But I'm also not letting her waste $200 on a cheap phone for texting, when it'll just become a paperweight after my first paycheck.

What phone do you have?

12. Since1980

I did forget to mention that. Even better, it's free if you have the right app, and while it does use data to get online you can still browse with no problem. It definitely comes in handy when Comcast is screwing up. Which is at least once a week, it seems.

13. Nikkers

I went with the S4 lol.

My dad came with mom and I. He's like, "no! no! The S3 is old now... you need to get the newest!" then added, "and mom's paying, so what odds" lmao.

Feel like I just brought a new baby home =P

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Do you use apple or android? Andriod
    Which phone do you have? Andriod
    What are the pros/ cons?
    Andriod is open source and apple isn't. This means I can install andriod on any computer I want. I can develop any time I want.
    What do you use the phone for?
    I surf the web and ssh into my computer. I use google maps to get around because apple sucks at that. I also use it as a phone which I use google voice to call people.

In short, you should pick andriod if you know a lot about computers. if cd / means something to you, don't buy it(apple) unless you are lazy.If you aren't going to develop or at the very least get around your town, then you should look at the specifications to see which one is better

battery life with the display on and in call mode because that burns the most amount of battery life.

size of screen
    etc...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

You chose well. Congrats on the new phone. :smt023

16. Since1980

Excellent choice!

17. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Co-siggy!

18. Since1980

I got the Galaxy S3 almost a year ago and I'm still finding out new things to do with it. Aside from the burn-in, it's great! If I play my cards right, the Galaxy S5 will be on the market by the time I'm due for an upgrade :p

19. Nikkers

I had to bring my phone back... the guy at the store gave me the wrong SIM card. I spend the night making it feel like MINE, figured that the next day I could just go to the store, and switch SIM cards. NOOOOOOOOPE.

Instead, I had to bring back the phone *cries*.

The store didn't have prepaid SIM card I needed, and the guy that sold us the phone didn't mention that.
    $850 for a phone, and the guy didn't tell us that? And kept trying to sell us a contract even after we said I wanted NO talking minutes, and the most data possible... I knew more about the plans than he did. Wasn't about to let him have that commission $$.

THEN went to the actual phone company and bought the exact same phone from them. Back to square one with customization. Dumb ass me did that BEFORE I put the SIM card in, and had to do it for the third time when the card was in place.

... each time, I've found more features, it's pretty cool.

20. jorell1

jorell1 New Member

Apple or android

Android for sure