Movies: personal classics

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, Aug 31, 2014.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Have you ever loved a movie that was dogged by the critics but you loved greatly Or it didnt do well in the box office but you loved it regardless?

Mine were friday and half baked.

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Since my tastes range from the classics to today, I'll throw out two;

The Wizard Of Oz- The critics didn't take too kindly to this now classic fantasy because for a film released in 1939, it was ahead of its time with its themes of self-discovery and appreciation of the world around you, the dream of a better place and much more.

Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow- I felt that this film got a bum wrap because it was a film for those who are fans of the action cliffhangers of the 30's, 40's. It was a visual tapestry of an innocent time set in a fantastic place that is New York City. Despite all the progress made, someone has the power to destroy it and the entire world with technology even more fantastic. It showed man's fascination and fear of the colossal and fantastic. And the one man who can save the world is Sky Captain(a take in Blackhawk and Captain Midnight). I enjoyed this film a lot. Gwyneth Paltrow's scene at the end was priceless.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah i forgot about the oz was panned by critics

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

You can add Citizen Kane to that list, too. Critics back when it came out, hated it, and yet, it was one of the most acclaimed films of all time.

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I loved Citizen Kane. Loved it to the point I saw it at a theater more than once back in 1991.

6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw it on cable a few times. I was surprised at how many famous actors were in it like John Houseman, Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorehead and others(including a score by Oscar winner Bernard Hermann). The film was almost based on the life of William Randolph Hearst(Hearst didn't even like the film). But, it was Orson Welles' greatest achievement and he had full control.

8. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True,G in fact Citizen Kane was shown at his estate in San Simeon. Today,the flick is embraced at the gift shops there.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Star Wars: A New Hope. Made for a budget of about 2.5 million dollars. Critics didn't like the movie until it became a blockbuster and global sensation. They watched it again and then they liked it.

10. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

11. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

I forgot how cute Sherilyn Fenn was back in the day.

12. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

it was her hair color...

[​IMG]

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The Wraith. Sherilyn Fenn looked real good in that film and she and Charlie Sheen were dating. He was dating her while he was in the Philippines filming Platoon(Charlie put her name on his helmet).

14. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Dead Presidents was a classic. The Hughes Brothers really did a great job on this one.

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The Manchurian Candidate with Frank Sinatra, Janet Leigh, Laurence Harvey and Angela Landsbury. Surprisingly, this film never had a premiere in any movie theater because it was originally a television movie. It was a dark political satire and considered a cold war science fiction film because of the use of the brainwashing scenes, which were very well filmed. The fight scene that occurs between Frank Sinatra and Henry Silva inspired the first fight scene in the film Kill Bill Vol. 1. Frank Sinatra broke his finger during the fight(he chopped a piece of furniture. Angela Landsbury was aged to play Laurence Harvey's mother. Landsbury was 2 years older than Harvey. It was received by critics years later and it inspired an episode of The Outer Limits called One Hundred Days Of The Dragon.

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Angela Lansbury got an Oscar nom for her role. She was excellent in the film.

18. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

A few movies that I really loved that critics didn't:

The Matrix Reloaded

The Great Gatsby (2013)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

19. FG

FG Well-Known Member

The original Manchurian Candidate is exceptionally good!

20. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

12 angry man(original)

The acting was very good in comparison to the 90's version but the 90's version is a product of how far we come in terms integration.

From not casting no minorities to casting mostly stereotypical characters of minorities lol.