Buf.Bills Tony Stewart fiancee dies of ovarian cancer

Discussion in 'Celebrity WW/BM Couples' started by Bliss, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Sad and scary.

To get a diagnosis like that in your 20s and there's nothing an oncologist can do.

I assume it was genetically inherited form of ovarian cancer??

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

RIP
    So damn sad.

4. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

That's awful. She was so young.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Very sad. May she Rest In Peace.

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

That is tragic. R.I.P.

7. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Must be a BRCA Gene ovarian cancer. That stuff is scary. This is so very sad!

8. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

9. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

So very sad

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Are the symptoms dormant until too late? How is this type distinguishable from ovarian cancer, et al?

11. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

My step mom passed from ovarian cancer a few years ago and the biggest problem with that cancer in particular is there are often NO symptoms. By the time the disease has progressed, the only symptoms you'll likely experience don't seem "serious" (like feeling full or bloated, lack of appetite, urinary freq). Many of us experience these feelings regularly during the course of our lives anyways so we wouldn't really bat an eye. If she had reason to be tested and showed a BRCA1/2 mutation, that would only indicate that she was at greater risk for breast and/or ovarian cancer. But her symptoms would be no different from my understanding. My stepmom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at a fairly young age so her two children went through the genetic testing to determine if they're at increased risk. One step sister chose to do a complete hysterectomy (pushing her into early menopause because she had both ovaries removed) after she had her second child. My other step sister is holding out because she hasn't had kids yet. At some point though, she'll have to make a decision as to what's most important, carrying a child or living. I think the lack of overt symptoms or warning signs is what's most frightening. Plus as women, we tend to rationalize anything that ails us. We do the same thing with symptoms that cause us fatal heart attacks. Definitely too scary.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Frightening. Had no idea it was such an asymptomatic cancer, or at the least a cleverly disguised one. Thanks for the informative reply. (sorry about your step mom)

13. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Yup. The other problem is that its not a cancer that is easy to test for and the experts are still debating if testing, and IF so what. A lot of test are bringing their own problems. Do You give people preventative MRIs yearly? Is that really the right thing to do given concerned about that on many levels. Is it costeffective as its not a really common cancer. In young people, ovarian cancer is by and large BRCA driven, and young women with young relatives with ovarian and breast cancer should be tested for BRCA. Ovarian cancer is usually a disease of "older" people. A large amount are digangosed late stage unfortunately

Good news is that the patient advocacy groups are extremely strong and i feel We will have some answers i monitoring for ovarian cancer in a few years as this is already in discussion.

14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So how often should my mom and aunts get tested?

15. FG

FG Well-Known Member

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/ovarian/screening-guidelines-ovarian
    ^^^
    Here is solid suggestion on that. Your mom, dont know the age of your aunt is well passed the risk of BRCA cancer, that is the good news. This should be discussed at every well women examen each year imo

The CA125 test is the subject to a LOT of dissagreement within the Gyn/oncs and med/oncs. I have att ended the gynecological oncology group (NRG, formerly known as GOG) biannual meeting for 10 years and this CA125 test is not agreed upon. The number in itself means nothing, but if its rising, one can probably conclude that something is going ön. That is how much they agree upon ön the CA125 test