interracial marriage/dating acceptance

Discussion in 'How To Meet White Women and Black Men' started by goodlove, Nov 9, 2014.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4663479

I know when i was growing up dating IR was really at a crossroads....mostly frowned upon...why do you think it more accepted compared now versus yesteryear.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Life was all around different in the 40s when you were a youngin, right? :p

As with anything, the more prevalent something becomes, the more accepted it typically becomes. Living (and growing up) where I have, I've never known IRRs to be a no no. They're everywhere. I swear, 90% of kids here are mixed lol. I hope all these newer generations are growing up recognizing that love is love, regardless of skin color. My relationship is no different than a same-race relationship. As it becomes more mainstream, there's less of a "oooo look at them" attitude going on. Kind of the same with same-sex relationships. Love is love. Fuck the hate.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Going back 20 years ago, I was aware of IR when I was a kid. I remember a Chinese girl in school, her name was Debbie. She was the first Asian girl I had ever met. She was a little tall and she was pretty. I didn't get to know her very well. By the next fall, she was no longer in school. Then came a girl named Cathy, she had dark blonde hair and a cute smile. She was friendly, fun and very shy. Our parents didn't mind that we had a friendly relationship at school. But, at home, it was a different story. The issue of our ages and the fact that we were an interracial prepubescent couple was considered odd. None of us knew about Richard and Mildred Loving's story and their triumph with the USSC. I was often told told about the Civil Rights Movement and the tragedies that had occurred during that time. When I was a teenager, I was thankful I was not living down south at the time. But, ironically, I would end up going to a high school in Florida where I had to be aware that black boys were either beaten up or killed and dumped in the river because they were dating a white girl. I knew I didn't belong there and I wanted to get out. But, I was young and I had to wait until after I graduated from high school. But, as I grew older, everyone is as aware of IRRs as anyone else in the world. The stares and silent comments are, as always, a challenge/affront to their views of social aesthetics, beliefs from which they were raised, and their world view. These people are slow(very slow) to this until a member of their family dates or marries a person from another race. Some people are tolerant of IRRs. But tolerance is not the same as acceptance.