Equality for the win!

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by 4north1side2, Apr 23, 2014.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

2. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Like this very much, Northy.

3. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of all of this :(

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment here, but not completely.

How do they conclude that there is something wrong with "man up"? It's a term used to encourage men to delve into themselves to find strength to overcome something. Are men not allowed to feel 'empowered' too?

Also if they conclude that "don't be a pussy" implies inferiority of the female gender. I wonder what their conclusion about the term "don't be a dick" would be?

5. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

You lack a brain.

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I see your point. All these insults use words/slurs specific to a gender or gender stereotype to insult, whether or not the characteristic you are complaining about has anything to do with the gender itself. You could add "don't be a dick - because I don't believe that the male gender is inferior" interchangeably. But I think the words have more impact and are more hurtful when used using words that denote people in oppressed or subordinate roles in society. The phrase "don't be a dick" doesn't standardize a negative perception of men or penises. I'm guilty of having said some of these, but I work at trying not to.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

So you believe it infers a lack of intelligence or maturity? (or are you referring to me?)

I see what your saying, but I disagree a little bit. If the goal is equality, then any term that negatively refers to someones gender or sexual orientation should carry the same weight.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  8. orejon4

Very true, but words are social constructs, and the meanings and power of them have everything to do with who made them and who is saying them as much as the definition of the word itself. Only on the page do they have anything approximating neutrality. I wish they were value-free like numbers, but they rarely are.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Yes your right, well said.

10. orejon4

But you are right that we should be aspiring to that goal of equality. Ideally, that's the society we want, where that sort of power difference between people and races doesn't distort social interactions, meanings and communication.

11. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

That's what it actually implies. A dick only thinks about one thing and nothing else. It rises to the occasion when its own needs and wants are to be fulfilled and lacking the consideration of others. That's a dick in a nutshell.

12. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Is Cher saying that because she re-built her face lol

13. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

That should read, if you want something said ask a man, if you want something done ask a woman with no social conscience and is practically a war criminal with a handbag.

14. orejon4

Whatever happened to her son and that whole trial for trying to overthrow an African nation?