Jaden Smith lands lead role of Slave in 'The Good Lord Bird'

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Liev Schreiber, Jaden Smith Set For Slavery Pic ‘The Good Lord Bird’ Adapted From James McBride Bestseller

By JEN YAMATO

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EXCLUSIVE: Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan) and Jaden Smith (The Karate Kid, After Earth) are set to star in The Good Lord Bird, a big-screen adaptation of the 2013 National Book Award winner by James McBride (Miracle At St. Anna, Red Hook Summer).

McBride is aboard to produce the pic about The Good Lord Bird movie. Henry “Onion” Shackleford (Smith), a young slave who links up with radical abolitionist John Brown (Schreiber) in 1856 Kansas and travels the nation with Brown’s motley crew of freedom fighters. Story is told with a satirical bent through the eyes of Onion, who wears a dress and is at first mistaken for a girl, as he bears witness to Brown’s historic campaign and encounters the likes of Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman en route to the bloody Harper’s Ferry raid that helped spark the Civil War.

McBride’s NY Times bestseller made Publishers Weekly‘s Top 10 Books of the Year list and has drawn comparisons to Mark Twain’s classic novel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Schreiber, a Golden Globe nominee for his leading turn on Showtime’s Ray Donovan, will produce alongside McBride and Brian Taylor.

McBride and Taylor previously teamed on another slavery-themed project, FX’s event series The Code, which is adapted from McBride’s book Song Yet Sung about Tubman and is set to star Kelsey Grammer.

[​IMG]

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/liev-schreiber-jaden-smith-slavery-good-lord-bird-james-mcbride/

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Another slave movie yaayyyy smh

3. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Seriously, why don't they just make a movie about the native american genocide or some shit since hollyweird has such a huge oppsession with picking at old wounds.

4. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

A Cross-Dressing Slave ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

And not only that...

-------------------------------------
    "Story is told with a satirical bent through the eyes of Onion, who wears a dress and is at first mistaken for a girl,"
    -------------------------------------

As an added bonus, Jaden is apparently in a dress at some point.

Yeah, i'll probably skip this one.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

They won't get my money. The last movie I seen about slavery had kuntakente.

7. DonnyJ

DonnyJ Banned

Why was my post removed? It was a joke. People...