How do you feel when you hear black ppl using the n word

Discussion in 'Stereotypes and Myths' started by blondehunter, Nov 21, 2014.

1. blondehunter

blondehunter Guest

when you hear black ppl using the n word. I am a black male btw and I cringe every-time I hear black ppl using it. I think it is really ignorant and just gives racists more permission to use it. My mother never allowed us to use this word growing up. I don't care how much blacks try to justify using it. It is stupid and ignorant IMO.

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I hate it. I'm in several large relationship groups on FB that are comprised of mostly black members and there are hundreds of memes used daily that feature words like n*ggas, bitches, hoes, etc. Nudity or even partial nudity is forbidden but memes featuring words like that are totally acceptable. Why??? The funny thing is that most of the members are intelligent, educated people, many of them are married and have kids. I feel like they ought to be beyond that. Or am I just naive?

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I have no issue with it. I hear it 100 x a day from my bf and his friends and it's in one ear, out the other. It's used as a friendly term of endearment between them lol. Imo it has nothing to do with age or maturity. There are bigger fish to fry than to get bent out of shape over a word that many use in a friendly manner. There's a time and place obviously. It's not used around our babies, but amongst adults...it's thrown around frequently

4. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I personally don't want my boys who are biracial (16 & 20) referring to anyone (or each other) using this word.

The word's meaning is loaded. The debate over how the word is used, who is using it and to whom, makes the word not "just a word". Words/names/terms cannot hurt a person unless that person allows them to, but that doesn't mean that the origin of the word changes, nor does its meaning.

I prefer to stay away from the word all together.

5. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I think it is tacky...immature...lacks taste...disrespectful...it's ghetto behavior that has no place in my life or anywhere near me...men and women that use the word as well as condone it's use are no better than the dirt on the bottom of my shoe...they perpetuate a stereotype of other decent black people that are trying move away from that crap...more than likely the ones that use it are the same ones that call foul on apparent injustice when they themselves glorify and feed black people being referred to with the n word

:smt018

6. RaiderLL

Lmao like I said...bigger fish. Careful when you step off that pedestal, the fall can be a bitch lol

7. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

LMFAO @ the ignorance...good thing I just come for the crazy:smt043:smt043:smt043:smt043:smt043:smt043

8. RaiderLL

In all seriousness (if that can even happen lol) this could be a generational thing. My parents hate the word, as do my grandparents. It's simply not acceptable to them. Whereas my generation grew up with that word being thrown around like nothing. Possibly the disconnect is age. Not to say all young people are ok with it but I can assure you out here, it's used quite routinely. I've heard it my entire life so it's honestly not that serious. Now my kids using it...I may change my tune lol. We'll see when the time comes. They're still perfect precious babies right now ;)

9. Reggie Jay

Reggie Jay New Member

I don't use it, and when I hear someone else use it, I repeat their statement using a different word. Its always baffled me at the acceptance and sometimes encouragement of its usage of it from each other, and the lack of acceptance of it from other people. It has no place in our language, like other words with racial connotations.

10. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I don't think it is generational as it is having respect for black people...I agree with Cherokee ...especially if you have biracial children this should be a top priority to not participate...as parents of children with two parents of different a races you have such an opportunity to show them the high road

11. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

:smt023:smt023

12. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

So important to lead by example.

13. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

I didn't grow up in the US, but when I moved here during high school, that was my initial impression.

14. RaiderLL

It truly is. And while I can appreciate those who dislike it, for me and mine it's just not something to whine about. A have biracial kids though and like I said, them using it...tunes may be different. For now, our littles are little so it's easy to separate adult time/talk from kid time/talk.

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Its psychological suicide.
    Its not good to use it even in jest

16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of a word (I use it sparingly sarcastically) but I do understand it's a generation thing these days. It doesn't bother me when blacks say it much anymore except when they use it around other races, but I am bothered when I hear other races use it. Sometimes I tell them don't say that word around me and other times I let it slide understanding all these kids grew up on rap lyrics where the words was used mercilessly.

Saying nigger is a big no no.

Also I feel that when it comes to white people and how they feel that blacks shouldn't use it, mind your fucking business. You've opressed blacks long enough, let them be.

17. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I think this is the very first good post from this new member.

18. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I don't like it at all. When I was growing up we weren't allowed to used the n-word. It was just as bad as cursing. My issue is just thinking about the history, there's no way I can bring myself to embrace the n-word than I can any other term, or symbol of the Jim Crow laws era, and so on. I think people are right to be offended by the n-word, and I wish we could simply retire the word from society.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Growing up, any of us even mentioned the n-word would be followed by either a serious chiding or a slap on the head. I hear the word just about everywhere I go. I watch episodes of The Boondocks and every word from Robert Freeman Riley Freeman, Uncle Ruckus, Ed and Rummy, Colonel Stinkmeaner and the Hatocracy, A Pimp Named Slickback, Billy Rebel, Thugnificent and others say it with great frequency. I have even heard Latinos say it. I have never realized that the n-word is more powerful than other slurs or epithets. It's like all the others have fallen to the wayside. But the n-word has meaning and power all at the same time and it, like the other slurs and epithets, shouldn't be used at all. They should not be elevated to this point at all.

20. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

The word does not bother me at all when other Blacks are using it. I use it amongst my friends and peers. When I use it I am not using it to be derogatory towards other Blacks, it is more of a term of endearment. Other Blacks may disagree with me but I could careless.