1. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

How do you guys feel about polygamy? Would you ever be in a polygamist marriage? If not, why?

2. smoothtalk

smoothtalk Member

This is serious ?

3. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Of course it is just answer the question and give me your opinion.

4. smoothtalk

smoothtalk Member

Preparing the popcorn here.

5. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Make sure you save me some, I like butter and salt on mines. :cool:

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

I'll never engage in it personally, but as long as the parties are consenting and they are happily together, then let them enjoy their life without fear of being persecuted. Hell, I'll even extend that if they want to be recognized by the government as a legitimate coupling, then so be it.

As for me, I never saw the interest in sharing parties or partners. Yes, I'm aware that it's been done before and even existed and still practiced in tribal communities, but the idea of being with more than one person is a bit vexing. I don't have the patience for such things.

7. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Ok so what's vexing about having more than one woman? Is it dealing with the multiple personalities that would bother you? Please explain brother

8. Morning Star

In short, yes....dealing with multiple spouses would be problematic for me since I'm more about being committed to just one person and not simply treat the concept of a union as some "you can have it all" fantasy. Works with a few people, like say the current South African president, but that's due to tribal influence, but doesn't apply to all.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Such a lifestyle is not for me, I don't share well. That being said I would agree with the bolded part above, with the additional condition that everyone be legally an adult. Those FLDS (Warren Jeffs) pedophiles, and their ilk, just cant get enough of those child brides. Sick, twisted bastards, trying to cloak themselves in religious freedom/expression.

As far as the legality, numerous polygamy groups are using many of the same arguments and legal precedents as the gay activists. I would expect to see more and more lawsuits filed per the links below in the near future.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/justice/utah-polygamy-law/index.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/620162/legalize-polygamy-the-ongoing-debate-over-marriage-equality/

10. Morning Star

I would disagree with the cloaking, not so much on the bias perspective, but rather, certain practices are embedded in their beliefs. Of course, many Mormons don't really practice polygamy, but there are some that do practice it in secrecy, for the sake of not being jailed for breaking laws pertaining to such unions.

But you would be correct, individuals like Warren Jeffs is a sick fucker beyond reproach, but I'm almost sure that the child bride bit isn't anything new since concepts of age of consent laws are questionable in of themselves, especially in the guise of "states' rights" instead of a more uniformed number to determine when there's an OK in that regard.

And lastly, it's inevitable, but we have to recognize one factor, as you and I agreed upon: as long as it's consenting, there should be no need to bar or keep it illegal.

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

This video is what I mean by Jeffs trying to "cloak" himself in religious freedom, and portray himself as being persecuted for religious beliefs.

[YOUTUBE]xHm0VcIyNnA[/YOUTUBE]

As far as age of consent, it is a states rights issue, and there will never be a consensus, but no state is below the age of 16. That being said "marrying" and having sex with a 12 year old is beyond sick and just plain evil.

12. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Ok cool

Ok so since you don't share well, how would you feel about having multiple wives that were only committed to you only?

13. Morning Star

From a secular, governing standpoint, where laws are laid in boundaries, yes, Jeffs is a very sick and twisted individual for soiling and destroying the mental state of preteens and teenagers who have yet experienced life. I won't argue with that. But, from a religious standpoint, he has a point that is' based on religious freedom, especially since 12-14 year old during those old religious periods were considered the norm. The problem here is that he violated secular laws, not the religious bit, which I believe that he should still be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Furthermore, you're correct that it's a states' rights issue, but, as I said, something like that should be revisited since that is heavily problematic in many respects and preferably a one-age-fits-all would work better, with the states having some leverage in restrictions or lifting some.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

No thanks, who wants more than one mother in law? Just kidding, I love my mother in law. But seriously, if I wanted to enjoy the benefits of dating multiple women I would just stay single. To me marriage means committing, mind, body and soul to one person with whom you build a life and legacy. In my opinion (admittedly I have not spent a lot of time on this issue), human nature dictates that the majority of people want to feel like they are special and unique, especially when it comes to relationships, and jealousy, and resentment could easily creep into plural marriages. Besides, navigating daily life with numerous personalities, moods, needs, wants, ect. would be exhausting.

On the legal front, if the laws change to allow plural marriage, it would have to apply to all, one man with multiple wives, one wife with multiple husbands, multiple spouses with multiple spouses, ect. On the face that would create legal nightmares in terms of spousal benefits, custody, alimony, child support issues if there was a divorce, division of assets, ect. Such scenarios could create a serious backlog to an already slow court process.

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some truth in what you are saying, I would argue that those secular laws are called progress. Glad we agree on full prosecution. Every religion has to abide by the law.

16. Morning Star

Yes, progress would be the right word and in full agreement with the rest of this post.

17. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it on either side.

too costly in time and money.

18. satyr

satyr New Member

haha there are a lot of fun arguments against polygamy.

Think of time as a form of currency; it's certainly more valuable than whatever you have in your checking account.

There are 24 hours in a day.

24:00

Most humans spend a third of that in a state of unconsciousness.

24 - 8 hours of sleep = 16 hours.

Another third is spent by most adults at work and, believe me, if you intend to have more than one wife with children to boot you WILL WORK.

16 hours - 8 to 10 hours = 6 hours.

After accounting for work and sleep, there are your domestic waking hours. If you've ever lived with a woman you know that a lot of her happiness revolves around quality time with YOU. Multiple wives aren't women on the side who don't care if they don't hear from you except once in a blue moon. Hell no, you are a husband with all the time and emotional commitment that entails. That can be difficult with one woman, let alone two or three at the same time!

6 hours - family time for multiple wives and children (talking, eating, play, homework) = 10 seconds to wash your ass, brush your teeth, and prepare for tomorrow.

And that 10 seconds is generous. Polygamy would wear you the fuck out.

My second argument concerns the impractical dimensions of certain traditional lifestyles in the west. Everything is a trade off. Yes women are more independent in the west, but that makes them better contributors outside the home. More bacon for the family means better living arrangements, longer vacations, and earlier retirements.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

This should be posted to all of those thinking about it.:smt038
    :smt038

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I had once thought about it when I was a kid. I mean, two wives might be fun to have. But three, or more...well, you, as a husband, are outnumbered and outgunned. There was a lot of talk about this over the years. Polygamists were on the talk show circuit long before reality shows. Polygamy had been going on since biblical times. Men were arrested for it in the 19th and twentieth centuries. Shows like Big Love and Sister Wives gave the world a glimpse into their world. I think it is some men who desire this lifestyle. Isn't it funny that women are not thinking of this lifestyle? No way. Because it is a man's world and women have to play by them(or so these men believe). So, women have a choice; follow and follow the established rules of the husband. Or, say, "No, thank you," and get as far away as possible from the polygamist because the modern woman was not raised to believe in or follow such a lifestyle. Right now, in Japan, a married man is allowed to have a mistress. For the husband, it is about the sex, for the wife, it is the understanding that the mistress may have her husband's body but she cannot have her husband's heart. I believe that, and I will say this until I die, that it is difficult to find that special someone. That one who will be a wife and a helpmate through good times and bad, is difficult. Sure, some of these men in this lifestyle, have two advantages; sex because they want to enjoy their sexuality and children because children ensure a man's immortality, they are extensions of themselves. Polygamy gives them the best of both worlds. I am thankful I am not in this lifestyle.