Award-Winning Rapper: 'You wonder why we don't report crime?'

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

While the report header focuses on the police exchange, there's also a side story in there with his robber that's pretty emotional.

Oscar-winning rapper Rhymefest posts video of his 'disgusting treatment' as he tried to report being robbed at gunpoint

[​IMG]

August 29th, 2016

A rapper who was robbed at gunpoint on Chicago's South Side on Saturday says that he was treated 'disgustingly' by police as he went to report the crime.
    Grammy- and Oscar-winning artist Rhymefest - real name Che Smith - took to Twitter to lament the way the situation was handled.

According to a police report, a man jumped into Rhymefest's parked vehicle, pointed a gun at him and demanded his wallet around 7:30 a.m. near the 4300 block of South Cottage Grove Ave.

Rhymefest posted a video to Twitter in which he argues with officers at the front desk.

'You wonder we don't report crimes? The police treated me disgustingly,' Smith tweeted along with the video.

The release of the video and the attention it received prompted the police to respond.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted back in response, '@RHYMEFEST disappointing to say the least. On behalf of CPD, I apologize for how you were treated. We will be addressing this today.'

Rhymefest continued to speak about the incident in a series of further tweets.

He wrote: 'To the young brother that put the gun to my head this morning & took my wallet. You don't know how you just damaged your community,' he tweeted. 'It's 730am. you just put a gun in my face for $3 in my wallet. I defend you against police brutality, I work on your behalf you robbed me.'

'Until our communities have restorative Justice set up, you better make friends with a police officer,' he said.

'You don't know what you did! And who you did it to. I lived here on the southside because I thought it mattered. I'm reconsidering,'
    'You were gonna shoot me in the face for a wallet, I had the power to give you a job! I'm not even mad, I'm fuckin' hurt.'

He then reached out to the suspect: 'When you look in my Wallet & see the name Che Smith on the ID. DM me, yes contact me apologize and talk to me like a brother. Give me faith that it's our desperation & not our hearts that are dark.'

Some tweets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Video..

[HDYT]AoyUNt0Nt0Y[/HDYT]

https://youtu.be/AoyUNt0Nt0Y

[​IMG]
    He won a Grammy and an Academy Award in 2015 for his work with Common and John Legend writing the song Glory, featured in the film Selma.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I feel him when he said he was hurt and not even mad. He also showed a mature and tremendous restraint especially with her.

3. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Those police no longer car for the job. Just a bunch of old jaded fucks. This don't make any kind of sense. They just see some Chicago street nigga walking through the door.