Sweden is a liberal utopia? Well, not quite so...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Morning Star, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

My Take

Whether the article suggests that Sweden isn't as much of a progressive country as people perceive it, there is no doubt that xenophobia has dramatically increased, especially with the rise of far-right political entities pushing for tougher immigration laws. It comes as a surprise, yet a not so much, because of the recent events. I suppose, for all people here who want to trek the uncharted lands, would want to pay close attention to the attitudes changing around in many of these countries.

Olaf Palme would probably have to smack around a few people since this environment would be far too unfamiliar to him.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol.....shocked?

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So basically if you're black there is absolutely no safe place on earth where you are free from oppression and racism. Already got that memo.

4. Morning Star

Maybe in some parts of Africa.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That someone from the Western world would want to live?
    Shit I hate going to Jamaica and that's where my family is from

6. Morning Star

If you're adamant on running away instead of fighting for change, it's the last place for you to retreat to, especially if you're willing to give up your Western culture ideas and adapt to African-oriented (well, colonial-influenced) ideas...

At least you are fortunate to know your roots, whereas a lot of us can only call one place "home" and a heritage that is still ticking on the doorsteps of uncertainty.

7. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

The West simply cannot absorb all the oppressed and disaffected people of the world.

IMO we need a new, neo-colonial 'invasion' of investment and political stewardship to stabilize and develop these fractured nations in Africa and the ME.

For decades leaders in the West thought they could ignore problems in the developing world and they wouldn't affect them.

The world is too small to work that way anymore.

Look at Syria and it's massive refugee crisis.

WHo today thinks that country and the region in general wouldn't have been better off if an international coalition of U.S/European and Middle Eastern forces of about 500,000 troops had invaded Syria 3 years ago, deposed Assad and installed a parliamentary democratic government??

Sometimes the cost of doing nothing is worse than not being proactive militarily.

And this is coming from someone who thinks it's not Uncle Sam's job to play referee and police the rest of the world.

The global community needs to have a new international mindset; when any nation rises up in a way that subjugates it's citizens and denies broad human rights as well as threatens the economic and military stability of its neighbors, in lieu of diplomatic solutions, the leadership of those countries should be overthrown.

But it can't be the big bad U.S. going it alone, particularly in the ME.

8. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

It happens in Sweden,Germany,and some countries who welcome immigrants and the children of Blackmen and women of Euro spouses. Hope things change soon. Regardless,I still love Swedish,German,and other Euro women.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Look at the films I Am Curious Yellow and its follow up I Am Curious Blue(the colors of the Swedish flag) directed by Vilgot Sjomann. It will give you an idea of what it's like in Sweden. In I Am Curious Yellow, Martin Luther King(sort of) makes an appearance in an interview with Sjomann.

10. Soulthinker

Got to see the I'm Curious films. Especially the Yellow that has MLK.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

You will like I Am Curious Yellow because it was a film that went before the US Supreme Court over the issue of the nudity and sex scenes(which was not the whole story). It won and it played in this country. I Am Curious Blue was a little more dramatic and introspective. There was nudity and An ir kissing scene. Check them both out.

12. Soulthinker

G,I did not know Blue has a IR scene. I will get both Yellow and Blue.