hey somebody - ask me how my business is doing!

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by medullaslashin, Jul 18, 2014.

1. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Go ahead! Ask!

2. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

How's business?

3. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Mr Medullaslashin is back on the forum?!?! Mmm mmm mmm. Raiders wish has been granted!! :smt060

How's business gorgeous?!

4. medullaslashin

Thanks for asking, everybody.

(and nice to see you're still here, Raider.. Cute avatar!)

Business is excellent – better than I expected.

I'm making more $$ than I did at my peak in 9 to 5. (Of course, I wasn't making millions in cubicle hell, but it was a solid (lower?) middle class income for NY. If things continue going well, I can see myself cracking six figures for the first time in my life not very far down the line.)

I work looooong hours. I work weekends. I generally take one day off per week. Sometimes I take NO days off per week. Juggling projects can be a hassle, because everyone wants everything yesterday.

It's a one-man operation, so sometimes it's lonely. In cubicle hell, I was thoroughly disgusted by the people around me, but ironically, now I'm lonesome working for myself. Just goes to show you how much you depend on the company in cubicle hell (and what a mindfuck it can be to find yourself stuck in the wrong place among the wrong people.) … So I'll take the loneliness over returning to 9-to-5 any day.

On the upside, my time is my own. As long as I meet my deadlines, I set my own hours. For example, the gym that I go to is open 24 hrs, so sometimes I'm there working out at 1 or 2 a.m. :rolleyes:

And my ingenuity is my own. No “gatekeepers” to success but myself. Better to have 7 clients than one boss, I've always said, because if a client is an asshole you can “fire” him and keep on keepin' on. If a boss is an asshole you get fired and your life is turned upside down.

I'm pretty good with people (in short spurts especially) and that works well for me in pursuing clients and keeping them happy. I make a good impression and do great work. :cool:

If there's any advice I could give, it would be don't listen to people who would discourage you (no matter how close they might be) IF they can't back up their points with real insights and experience. I try not to hold on to regrets, but one of mine is I'm guilty of letting people who know NOTHING about what I do – not how skilled I am at it, not what market exists for it, not how well I've prepared for contingencies – make me afraid and doubtful of my chances for success on my own.

I wasted a lot of time “waffling” because of that, instead of just flat out going for the gold.

Some people just can't imagine working without someone above them telling them exactly what to do. Don't let those people discourage you.

If you have a “hunch” (as Steve Jobs liked to put it) that opportunity is available, go for it. Don't dream. Save up a decent “cushion” and dive in.

Also, don't panic initially and set your rates too low in an effort to get clients. Those rates are then “locked in” for those clients – and the time you spend working for low rates takes away from the time you can spend bagging and nurturing bigger clients.

But anyway, in short, I'm doing great (knock on wood!). Hope everyone here is also doing well!

5. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Good luck on the "business".

6. medullaslashin

"thanks" stizz. :mrgreen: and good luck in your endeavors (in and outside of the cubicle).

May you not have to hustle as hard as I do and may you have as much satisfaction

7. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Medulla I love hearing stuff like this! So glad you've found success and I wish you nothing less with any future endeavors! Congrats handsome! :freehug:

8. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Thanks fam

9. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

That was inspiring Medulla, I love it!

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What do you doMedulla?

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have been making good use of your time Medulla. Congratulations on your success, courage and wisdom building experience!

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

thats awesome. its great to hear people do great things

13. jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9 Active Member

What is your business?