Wash.Redskins to change name to Redtails?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, May 2, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9230556/dc-pol-suggests-redtails-name-change-washington-redskins

It's not my team, but Redtails does sound like a nice alternative. IDK...this is a tough one...

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

In a League that spares no expense. Well at least Dan hasn't in the past with his Cap busts, lol.

But in all seriousness, while 'Redskins' sounds beautiful, it does offend many. I never stopped to consider it until it was brought up. I was actually first made aware with the Braves protest quite a few years back when Ted Turner was the owner (@ the controversial 'chop wave').

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I always found that name offensive. Especially when you consider the absolute RABID racism displayed by the team founder (George Preston Marshall) who chose the name. IMO, a name change is LOOOOONG overdue, tradition, cost and history be damned!

His legacy includes the George Preston Marshall Foundation which serves the interests of children in the Washington, DC area. The $6 million he left had the qualification that none of it could be used "for any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Preston_Marshall

Marshall has gained infamy for his intractable opposition to having African-Americans on his roster. According to professor Charles Ross, "For 24 years Marshall was identified as the leading racist in the NFL".[3] Though the league had previously had a sprinkling of black players, blacks were excluded from all NFL teams just one year after the then-Boston Braves entered the league.
    While the rest of the league began signing individual blacks in 1946 and actually drafting blacks in 1949, Marshall held out until 1962 before signing a black player. Along with his own personal views, Marshall refused to sign African-American players because of a desire to appeal to Southern markets. For most of his tenure as owner, the Redskins were the southernmost team in the NFL.[4] His intractability was routinely mocked in Washington Post columns by legendary writer Shirley Povich, who sarcastically used terms from the civil rights movement and related court cases to describe games: for instance, he once wrote that Jim Brown "integrated" the end zone, making the score "separate but unequal".
    Finally, in 1962, Interior Secretary Stewart Udall and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum — unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on the year-old D.C. Stadium (now Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium), which had been paid for by government money and was owned by the Washington city government (which, then and now, is formally an arm of the federal government). Marshall's chief response was to make Ernie Davis, Syracuse's all-American running back, his number-one draft choice for 1962. Davis, however, demanded a trade, saying, "I won't play for that S.O.B." He got his wish, as the team sent him to Cleveland for All-Pro Bobby Mitchell. Mitchell was the first African American football player to play a game for the Redskins, and he played with the team for several years, initially at running back, but he made his biggest impact at wide receiver.

5. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

IMO They should just leave the name alone. The problem is the mascot. If they change it to lets say Hell Boy problem solved.:)

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Wow. What a sad history associated with that team. My dad had been an avid Redskins fan for years; I didn't even know Philly had a team when I was younger.

7. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Changing the name is good, but redtails sounds weak. I can just hear all the talk about their getting their tails kicked when they're on a losing streak.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Ahh, yeah maybe they change the uniforms constantly. it could be a good revenue stream because the blacks may eat it up because of how it would honor the ww2 pilots. they must higher a black guy to be a mascot....hiring a white guy would cause well....problems

[​IMG]

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

ummm yeah

it would be like having a team called the Spooks, Negroes, Jungle Bunnies etc etc

we would have been had that shit shut down, but the Native Americans have been getting shit on without care

reminds me of this restaurant around here called 'Chinks.' People, especially asians, were pushing for a name change for the longest, but the Chinks' restaurant staff said it wasn't used as a racist term. they then go on to say that the owner had 'slanty eyes' which is where the name Chinks came from

HEELLLLLLLOOO!!!!! the place was named after the owner who had slanty eyes....that's not offensive to asians how????

and people from the neighborhood are actually defending the restaurant's name, saying we're being too politically correct for wanting it to be change

SMH

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=cd189355-cd7c-474e-a5cc-51279e78a10f

10. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

That might be interesting. :smt003

Can you imagine? The new orleans jungle bunnies in a playoff with kentucky rednecks. Might be fun to make all the teams race names.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

considering our lowered status in America already...

uh no

:p

being black in this country is hard enough as it is

i'm just surprised it took this long, but again, we've all just been kinda trained to ignore Native Americans and their suffering because they make up so little of this country

on the real tho..if they did have to use a racially-charged name for a team..call em the Spear Chuckers

that would make an awesome logo
    [​IMG]

12. Resurrected Fear

Resurrected Fear New Member

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

they need to change the Green Bay name too

frankly i find the term 'Packers' offensive

:p

and what the fuck is a Cleveland Brown anyway?

is that some sort of jab at Latinos?

14. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Eagles fans need to get the fuck up outta here telling Skins fans to change their name. Puleeze.:butthead:

We won a SB with a Black QB. Skins don't have to prove to anyone that the term 'redskins' isn't used as a racial epithet.

That shit is from cowboy movies anyway.

If the Redskins lose their trademark protection, the name may end up changing because all the merchandising revenue Dan Snyder is going to lose, but no corrupt ass D.C. councilman is gonna make that move for the franchise ever.

The NFL will never make the Skins change their name. Only fans and maybe a coalition of tribal groups could pressure Danny to do it.

When the Eagles change their name to the Pigeons, then we can talk.:smt037

15. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

if you were Native American, maybe i'd give a fuck

you don't see any teams using Black Skins or Yellow Skins with a picture of a black man wearing loincloth and a spear or asian guy dressed like Fu Man Chu as a mascot

this is just another example of leftover racism from a period where racism was OK as long as it targeted minorities

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I consider myself to be a highly educated, well read, and literate person, but I was ignorant as to the history below starting at 3:20. The clip is the ending from the movie Confederate States of America, can you imagine still seeing "coon chicken inn?"...such a vile history of soul crushing racism in this country....:smt071

[YOUTUBE]BUi9T3TcHpE[/YOUTUBE]

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

hell yeah..i actually imagine that there are still places around with similar names and caricatures

point is..there would be MORE if we didn't do something about it

problem is other minorities have been subject to disrespectful shit for the longest, and no one cared because we were so caught up in 'White vs Black'

i'm in awe that the popular restaurant named 'Chinks' only changed it's name in 2013, and that people in the area were literally upset and didn't understand how the name was offensive

what the fuck philly

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

19. FRESH

FRESH New Member

I can take it or leave it.

20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Hope yall bitch just as loudly against the 'super chink' villain in the next Iron Movie.:smt009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Racism sucks, but don't bring the SKins into it.:smt025)