Are we allowing social media to takeover our dating lives?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by qwils86, Jul 13, 2014.

1. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

So yesterday I was hanging out with my friends and we were discussing women and dating. I mentioned how I prefer to give women my business card and I explained my reasons for doing this. One of my friends was like "Nah bro, you should get their Instagram." So I'm like "negro what?! They're instagram?!" :confused: Then my friend says, "Yeah, Instagram is the future. When you get their Instagram women can see you and how you live. Then they can hit you up with their number on there." My other friend co-signed what he said and I have other friends that feel this way about Instagram too. I just do not see the value in getting a woman's Instagram instead of her direct contact.

So my question is, as a society are we allowing social media to takeover our dating lives? Why would a guy prefer to get a woman's social media profile instead of her direct phone number or even email? Why do so many people prefer using online dating sites to meet people instead of meeting the
    "old school way?"

Please chime in. I want to know y'all opinion on this.

2. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

A few reasons I think social media is the norm nowadays....

1. Social media for many is their safe haven. This is where people go and really allow themselves to be more open without the fear of being judged for who they really are in their eyes.

2. I think it's easier for people to show people who they want them to see and maybe not who they truly are.

3. Social media offers layers of protection that you don't have in real life.

I don't agree with getting to know someone socially for all the world to see. I like personal interaction. I feel like its impersonal and doesn't allow a relationship to evolve normally.

3. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

I agree with you. Social media makes it easier for introverts and anti-social people to interact with others.

4. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I think social media is out if control. People can't seem to live without it it. Family time is a thing I the past.

5. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Whoever values social media over their family is delusional and needs to seek help. Or a good slap upside the head could help lol

6. 1449225

1449225 Well-Known Member

1. qwilsI'm assuming you're between 30-35'ish,we're considered 'old-heads' to these new generation. No you are not crazy for wanting to get to know someone the old fashioned way.

2. People can lie and 'stunt' online even more than in real life. I see it all the time.

3. I don't have FB,IG,Tumblr or any of those cool kid pages. I don't think anybody would give 2 fucks if I ate a slice of pizza 2 hours ago and decided to post it on IG/FB for likes,or spent all day crying about my life on my 'status'. I prefer (and do) meet women by exchanging phone #s and building from there.

7. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

It's not that, it's entire family. Go eat a a family restaurant on a Friday or Saturday evening. I bet 80 out of 100 people have their face glued to a cell phone. Fellowship will cease to exist in the near future.

8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

It's just another form of communication. Handing out your business card to get at women is mad outdated...

9. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

Lol For the record, I'm still in my 20s. I ain't old! :smt043

I have an Instagram and Facebook but I am not constantly on there. There are better things I could do with my time.

Oh I see that a lot smh

10. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

I disagree because it works for me. In your opinion, how is giving your number to a woman outdated?

But I do agree that social media is another way of communicating. I just can't see why a dude would rather take a woman's social media account than exchanging numbers.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

because dude is scared to talk to women....mofos rather text.

hell , they think they can get away with texting when they go out for drinks.

probably e-kissing, sexting and he thinks hes a ladies man

12. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

My duck hunt for the Nintendo entertainment system still works... guess its not outdated.

I don't see what's hard about seeing the allure of using social media as another avenue of getting at women. Different method with same outcomes.

13. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

I'm not talking against using social media to holla at women because I use it too. But that's when I haven't met her in person. Now if I meet her in person I don't give a damn about getting her social media account. I want to exchange numbers or better yet I am giving her my card and telling her to hit me up later. Then if she's cool we can follow each other on Instagram and be Facebook friends. Getting at women online is cool but I prefer to meet them in person.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Back in the mid-70's, there were the information lines on the telephone(things like Dial-A-Joke and Sports Phone), and then came the party lines(fan lines, help lines and phone sex). The computer opened up a new world of communication and our small world became smaller. Social media has sort of became a God send for a lot of folks. But at the same time, it has made us complacent. I enjoy a letter to me in the mailbox. A handwritten letter is far more intimate than an email. They are not monitored or hacked. But this can happen on the internet. I think back to the days when one had to purchase addresses from a company to write letters to people from all over the world establishing a pen pal relationship which had been done for centuries before the telephone and a few decades afterward. This is how it is done now and it will continue. Hollowgram communication isn't too far off.

15. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

You nailed it on the head sir!

16. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I'm not giving some potentially crazy broad my work information on our first meeting.

Society evolves with technology... whatever works... get used to it.

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

im cool with online dating site to meet women but i agree with gorath....bros can get complacent.

i would try it later on...i prefer cold approaching or meeting thru friends or ect...

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

the problem is too many people fake the funk.

19. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I actually prefer texting. I hate talking on the phone so when I meet a guy we usually text for a bit and if he has my attention then I'll agree to coffee or smoothies or something casual to chat it up in person. If he wants to have long drawn out telephone conversations, I'm not the woman for him lol

:smt043

20. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

Gotta spread the love more first before I can rep you but I agree 100%