Requesting advice in a fitness goal

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Be-you-tiful86, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

So I am trying to land a job as a security guard.
    Part of their requirements are fitness related,and I'd like some advice from anyone who may me able to help.

One of their fitness requirements is being able to run/jog 1 kilometer (or about 0.621 miles) in 7 minutes or less.
    To routined runners this may sound easy,however I am not a fan of running and in addition have had my hip bones built incorrectly from birth on,which has a slight influence on my running capabilities ,according to doctors (however nothing big).
    Also of course,my stamina is not too awesome,given that I don't run/jog usually.

My questions are mostly:

*Is there a build-up of ecercise that would be useful and effective in getting me to the goal?
    *Would it be better if I run/jog daily,or does the body/do the legs need resting days as well?
    *Is it smarter to run/jog on empty stomach or after a small meal?
    Any specific day time that work best?

However any other helpful advice that I may have left out is welcome and appreciated as well.

So far I have been running/jogging daily for the past few days.
    In 7 minutes I made it to 975 meters (25 meters off)/ 0.61 miles (0.011mile off),to give you an idea of how much improvement still needs to be made.

2. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Unless your legs are mad sore where it hurts to walk, you can jog or run everyday. Your goal is very easy to attain. Just jog everyday and add a little more distance and time each day. Intervals help, run at a moderate fast pace for some time, walk for a resting period and repeat.

Eat a little something before running.

3. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Does the issue with your hip bones cause you pain?

Starting out, I'd disagree with doing a little jogging every day. Reason being, if you push yourself to the limit each day, you will likely have a noticeable fatigue in your legs on the second day that will carry over each day. I'd recommend 3 days - 4 days a week. In between days, I'd do exercises that would help your running but not directly fatigue your legs. I'd most likely go with ab work.

Advice that I would give on your run days:
    - Run on a light meal. Make sure to hydrate a little before and during your run if possible. Be careful not to over-hydrate.
    - I tend to run at the same time, early in the morning, every day. Running is as much psychological as it is physical.... for me.
    - Run until you can't run anymore... when you reach the point of giving up, push yourself just a little harder... when you reach that, push yourself just a little little more. I find that's the best way to make progress.
    - Don't worry about the time right away, as your body becomes stronger, you'll find no trouble meeting your speed goal. Just push yourself for distance for now.

4. Be-you-tiful86

Thank you for the advice,North and Jaisee.
    On the 2nd day my legs have started to feel sore indeed.
    I ran for 2 more days,aka 4 total.
    Today I haven't run yet,and considering to maybe take a break today.
    There also is a sit-ups requirement for the job,which I can reach (I've tried it out),so I could do those and some other stretching and exercising as well.

My hip issue doesn't cause any pain,just small problems such as not having full speed capacity compared to other people without this issue-and I can comfortably sit in ways that look uncomfortable to others.

5. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I wish you luck. But you won't need it, I'm sure you'll have no problem meeting your goal.

Keep us posted.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Why the hell are you trying to be a security guard?
    Are times that tough over there?

7. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

This is going to sound weird, but you will have to run weird for a mile to help your legs and hips adapt.

Try these drills for 1 mile 3 days a week (each drill done on its own day)
    [YOUTUBE]dWmpm-iNyIU[/YOUTUBE]

This will help you loosen up your stride in spite of your bone structure as well as teaching you how to run at different speeds (the various drills are interchangeable for sprints and long distance running).

The other 2 or 3 days of the week can be used to build up your legs with either high rep leg exercises at the gym or utilizing an elliptical machine whilst adding resistance and or elevation.

A sample would be...

5 days a week:

Monday; Drill 1 for approximately one mile

Tuesday; Leg machines or elliptical trainer with resistance

Wednesday; Drill 2 for approximately one mile

Thursday; Leg machines or elliptical trainer with resistance

Friday; Drill 3 for one mile

And day 6 (saturday) is optional with Leg machines or elliptical trainer with resistance

In regards to your leg pain, the reasoning for this is because you are "pounding the pavement" with your feet, legs, and general overall body weight. The pain comes from the microfractures happening in your shins and thighs from the impact (you might even feel it in your back a bit). These microfractures are causing your muscles and bones to adapt, so the pain is temporary. It kind of works similar to how Shaolin monks repeatedly hit a mung bean bag or brick. The don't hit it with full force at first. The build up until their bones and muscles adapt.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best.

8. Gemini74

Gemini74 Well-Known Member

they are, and they ve been for quiet some time.

9. Be-you-tiful86

It's good money,and I don't feel like moving again,just because jobs in this area aren't soooo plenty.
    And I can finally use my English somehow,as it's a security guard job for on post (US Army).

10. Be-you-tiful86

Thank you for breaking down the pain and the schedule suggestion.
    Luckily it's only my lower legs and thighs which are hurting. My back is perfectly fine.Well,not hurting more than usually.I do have slight back pain on a regular basis.

11. Be-you-tiful86

Thank you,Jaisee!
    A little luck is never bad to have :D

12. Be-you-tiful86

True.
    They offer a full time position,and I will be paid my over time hours per month (a lot of companies have you collect hours for a year or so or have you take days off instead).

Plus maybe the position is exactly what I need.
    Naturally I don't feel very motivated to do any sort of sports,except for occasionally swimming.
    Knowing that I will have to re-take a fitness test for the job once per year can be a good motivation to stay fit.

13. satyr

satyr New Member

The distance is so short that you can ignore it and focus on building up your stamina by running with only time on your mind.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday drills should suffice.

Week 1

Monday - 3 minute run, Wednesday - 3 minute run, Friday - 4 minute run

Week 2

Monday - 3:30 minute run, Wednesday: 4:00 minute run, Friday - 4:30 minute run

Week 3

Monday - 4:30 minute run, Wednesday - 5:00 minute run, Friday: 5:30 minute run

As your leg strength and stamina increases, running one kilo will become very easy in a few minutes.

14. KingProphet

KingProphet New Member

Hello, I got my certification as a physical trainer when I was 22. It is not my profession, but is a major hobby/past time for me. I have worked with all ages, builds, medical conditions, a multitude of goals, etc.

A few questions. Do you get major discomfort from running or any other exercise? If so, where is the pain? If so, adjusting your running gate may help the condition with your hips. How much time do you have before you need to complete the 1km run? Current physical condition? I can create a day to day regimens for you that you can tweak if needed. If you have pain, I will suggest a mixture of cardio activities. Pool work is a good alternative and is great for cardio. Glad to help, but need a little more info. It won't be complicated. I believe in simplicity and avoiding injuries and pain.

Quick overview:

Objective 1:Opening the lungs

Objective 2: Then building for speed (enough for you to accomplish you goal.

Specific details once I get a little more information.

15. KingProphet

KingProphet New Member

BTW, I lived in Bann and Holenfels germany for 5 years! Miss it.

16. Be-you-tiful86

So it turns out I worried for nothing.
    On short sprints I am really bad,always have been,but I did a lot better on longer tracks.
    That is why I was surprised that when practicing I seemed to be so slow,going by my pedometer.
    As I found out,I set it wrong.

I did my fitness test on wednesday and only took 5 minutes and 11 seconds for the 1 kilometer.