The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Pigs are known to be smarter than horses, dogs and cats.
    This is how it can look if you don't treat them like food, but like your best friend:

[YOUTUBE]qf3lqEF7u7w[/YOUTUBE]

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

A friend posted this disturbing video about the removal of teeth from these little prosimians so that they could be made into pets. It turned my stomach. I love animals.

And there's today's news: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-cockfighting-arrests-miami-dade-20140425,0,7268818.story

I don't see why some people feel the need to subject animals to any more pain and suffering than is necessary. I mean, isn't it bad enough that we eat them sometimes? (and I'm counting myself here as well)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Just like a playful puppy. So adorable, pigs are also actually very clean animals... their mud reputation is unfair. Loved this video of Bella! :heart:

4. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

Are you vegetarian, unique?

My friend breeds and raises wessex saddleback pigs on her farm, and the sow just had piglets - they are the cutest!

They raise them to food, but the whole process is so loving and wholesome, the pigs have wonderful happy lives, and the children adore them. It's really lovely, and such a sustainable way to be pro-animal and still eat meat.

(Not being preachy at all, just commenting!)

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

6. Unique4ever

Yes, I'm a vegetarian for more than twenty years now.
    Trying to become a vegan, but I love cheese and yoghurt too much.
    I stopped drinking milk though.
    I cannot imagine how someone plays with animals and talks to them, just to slaughter them later. That's above me.
    It's great that they have happy lifes until then, but it still hurts me to think of an animal being killed to become food :(

7. Unique4ever

I agree. Humans are the most dangerous and evil species on this planet :(

Has anyone seen this pic yet? I saw it on fb the other day.

[​IMG]

Made me incredibly mad and sick! :smt076 :smt093 :smt013
    Cats need their ears to be fully functioning.
    This is animal cruelty!

8. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

Well it's pretty important that there are small scale farmers who raise rare breed animals (like the wessex saddleback and many others) otherwise they're in danger of dying out, which would truly be a shame. There's no real incentive to keep animals like that otherwise, they're expensive to raise.

The whole process is driven by a desire for sustainable and ethical practices and a love for animals. I understand the empathy you feel, but it really is an interesting perspective.

9. orejon4

That's horrible. Some people just do things with no regard to how it feels to the other person/animal/being involved.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^ ^ Agreed ^ ^ ^

Ok wow, what a story...........

And guess what reason he was raising awareness for?? :freehug:

Swimmer Being Chased by Shark Protected by Pod of Dolphins

[​IMG]

Best posse ever?

Open-water swimmer Adam Walker was swimming New Zealand's Cook Strait April 22 as part of the Oceans Seven mission when he noticed a fairly unwelcome guest accompanying him in the water below him.: A great white shark.

Fortunately, someone – or rather, several someones – had his back.

Walker said he was surrounded by a pod of 10 dolphins, who continued swimming with him until the shark – no doubt intimidated by the show of strength – took off. "I'd like to think they were protecting me and guiding me home," Walker wrote on his Facebook. “This swim will stay with me forever.”

Walker's mission benefits Whale and Dolphin Conservation, an organization that bills itself as “the leading global charity dedicated to the conservation and protection of whales and dolphins.” so maybe the dolphins knew Walker was a friend. :smt054

Walker crossed the Strait in 8 hours and 36 minutes.

[HDYT]Ohsg1XI6KdI[/HDYT]
    (Almost 3 mil hits :D)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/04/dolphins-protect-long-distance-swimmer-from-shark/

11. orejon4

Awesome story. Makes me even sicker thinking about those dolphin and whale butchering festivals in Japan and parts of Scandinavia.

12. Unique4ever

Shut Down Texas Vet Who Kept Family's Dog Alive to Use its Blood

[​IMG]

Sorry for the long read, but this story is just unbelievable and deserves attention :( :smt085

No one ever wants to endure the loss of a pet but when bringing their dog, Sid, a five-year old Leonberger into the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic, Marian Harris was told that Sid had deteriorating health and needed to be euthanized. Marian and Jamie Harris and their young son said their goodbyes and gave the clinic permission to bury Sid on the Vet’s farm. This vet visit was six months ago and the family went through their grief to only find out now that their pet has been alive all of this time. It was a worker at the clinic that called Ms. Harris to let her know her pet is still alive and existing in a urine and feces-covered cage.

Ms. Harris was extremely excited to get her dog back but angered at the same time. "It was like getting punched in the stomach and then some. This has rocked our world. My kids are like, 'How does somebody do this?' How does this happen?" She stated that “The betrayal is so incredibly intense that nothing you have prepares you for the emotions.” She and her husband barged into the clinic to see Sid and retrieve him from the back room. “He was able to walk and jump in the back of my minivan so it was an excitement to be reunited,” said Harris. After getting Sid back, they took him to another vet for an evaluation who claimed he was perfectly healthy and never needed to be euthanized!

After finding Sid, investigators were called in to investigate the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic at the 5700 Block of Lovell Avenue in Ft. Worth, seizing several other animals as evidence of this deceit and fraud. The informant at the clinic, Ms. Brewer stated that "I'm happy that something can be done and that people are listening, and that they can't get away with it no more." At least, on a good note, Sid is back home with his family and being treated by other veterinarians. According to her attorney, Ms. Harris states that doctors say Sid has Mange, definite signs of being used for blood transfusions and showed evidence of being "abusively kenneled." However, Dr. Lou Tierce who was the main vet in question and others at the clinic have not commented on the situation and allegations.

It is difficult enough to find a doctor you can trust, for yourself, your children and your pets. You would like to think your animal is in good hands and not that of a crook who could literally harm it and keep it in horrific conditions while allowing the owners to grieve the loss of a pet they can’t even save, except for a good person like Ms. Brewer. This clinic needs to be closed immediately and all the vets involved, and vet techs that held the truth should lose their licenses and never work with animals again!

Please sign and share this petition on all your media sites nationwide to bring awareness to the animal clinic in Ft. Worth, Texas who recently told a family they had to euthanize their dog; months later the family in their grief found out their precious pet was still alive. The clinic kept the dog for the purpose of getting blood transfusions.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/723/...y-told-family-their-dog-should-be-euthanized/

13. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I watched this the other night, it's about Tillicum the Seaworld Orca that killed trainers.
    This gives you some insights on how he was stolen from his mother and training techniques that left him open to attack from other Orca's.
    Plus the conditions he first experienced when in captivity.

This is why capturing intelligent animals like Tillicum and putting them in entertainment shows for public enjoyment is just plain wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03j49l6/Storyville_20132014_Blackfish_The_Whale_that_Killed/

I know this is a UK link, but if you have a VPN, set it to the UK and you should be able to watch it.

14. Unique4ever

The reunion of 2 friends: the story of Mr. G and Jellybean

[YOUTUBE]bv2OGph5Kec[/YOUTUBE]

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

WWE Superstar
    Now I'm Gonna Wrestle ...
    Dolphin Hunters!

[​IMG]
    6/12/2014 1:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dolphin hunters beware ... ex-WWE superstar Brodus Clay has big plans following his release from the company today -- he's headed for Japan to protect dolphins from being captured and killed.

Brodus says he booked a trip to Japan for this summer and plans to protest dolphin hunting. He's been passionate about the cause ever since seeing the Oscar winning documentary, "The Cove".

The Funkasaurus tells us he's bummed about losing his job -- WWE cut a total of 9 wrestlers today -- but he's excited to do some other things -- like acting and writing a book.

Brodus says he's open to any wrestling opportunities he might get in Japan -- but his main focus is "bringing awareness to the cause" of the dolphins.

Guddorakku!

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

DISGUSTING DIGIORNO

Every DiGiorno pizza comes with a slice of cruelty.
    A new Mercy For Animals undercover investigation reveals horrific animal abuse at a major DiGiorno cheese supplier in Wisconsin....

Read more... http://www.sliceofcruelty.com/

17. Unique4ever

:smt038:heart:

18. orejon4

[​IMG]

Excuse the harshness of the image, but this is how the bull ends up after bullfights/bullruns. Does anyone see any art or culture in this? Share this foto so that the world might see what they call "art".

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^ The brutal truth ^ ^ ^

[​IMG]

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It truly saddens me that they poach these magnificent animals.

Koko the gorilla mourns the loss of her special friend, Robin Williams

[​IMG]

WOODSIDE, Calif. - The death of actor Robin Williams saddened not only humans, but a female gorilla he had made friends with.

In 2001, Robin Williams was invited to meet Koko, the gorilla who communicates in sign language, at the Gorilla Foundation near San Francisco in northern California. Koko's handlers had no idea what to expect, but they became very special friends.

Williams' visit was chronicled in a video by the Gorilla Foundation. In the video, Koko can be seen asking Williams to tickle her. Koko then tickled Williams and the two became friends.

[YOUTUBE]I9I_QvEXDv0[/YOUTUBE]

Robin made Koko smile -- something she hadn't done for over 6 months, ever since her lifelong gorilla companion, Michael, passed away at the age of 27. But not only did Robin cheer up Koko, the effect was mutual, and Robin seemed transformed -- from a high-energy entertainer, into a mellow, sensitive, empathetic guy, who also happened to be really funny.

On Monday, when news broke of Williams' death, Koko and Drs. Penny Patterson and Ron Cohn were together when the phone calls began coming in about the sad event. After the first call, Koko came to Patterson with an inquiring look on her face. Patterson explained that "we have lost a dear friend, Robin Williams" Koko was quiet and looked very thoughtful, Patterson said.

More phone calls about the news came in, and Koko overheard one from a former colleague who had worked with Williams while he filmed a public service announcement for The Gorilla Foundation in 2003. The colleague's voice broke at the end of the conversation. About a half an hour later, Koko signed to Patterson: "CRY LIP" (LIP is Koko's sign for woman).

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, Koko became very somber, with her head bowed and her lip quivering .

"The Gorilla Foundation are all greatly saddened by the news of Robin William’s death, and would like to offer his family our deepest condolences. We would also like to honor his life, which was a profound gift to humanity -- and to other great apes like Koko -- by sharing the following video of Robin’s powerfully emotional meeting with Koko in 2001."

"Koko and Robin’s encounter is a supreme example of how humans and gorillas can overcome interspecies boundaries and express the highest form of empathy -- embracing differences. Robin’s ability to just 'hang out' with Koko, a gorilla, and in minutes become one of her closest friends, was extraordinary and unforgettable for Koko. We hope that it now becomes unforgettable for you too," the Gorilla Foundation wrote on their website.

http://www.wptv.com/entertainment/k...the-loss-of-her-special-friend-robin-williams

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.koko.org/koko-tribute-robin-williams
    This made me tear :(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014