IR fiction novels

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by TamirJackson, Dec 18, 2005.

1. TamirJackson

TamirJackson New Member

I've looked high and low, but to date, I'm yet to find any interracial fiction romance novels. Particularly, novels which present a bm-ww protagonist couple. Does anyone know of such a novel in existence? I'm currently writing a paper, titled "Gentrified Life," which is a fiction work about an interracial couple residing in Chicago's trendy Wicker Park neighborhood, who encounter the typical nuances of a contemporary ir couple. I would like a work to compare to mine in hopes that it can provide me with a better outlook and perspective to what's been written in the past regarding ir. Thanks.

2. lainarain

lainarain New Member

I read one by Eric Jerome Dickey. It was called Milk in my Coffee, I think. It was okay.

3. Iffy'swifey

Iffy'swifey New Member

The name sounds too cheesy for me to even pick up!

4. SardonicGenie

SardonicGenie New Member

This one too obvious for me. I'll pass on this one.

5. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

Tamir, google Interracial couples and see what is out there on line. also look up www.multiracialactivist.com and see if they have a reading list resources guide.

if you are writing your own short story fiction, you might first try looking at non fiction works on the matter. then looking in the black literature section at your local Borders or B&N.

i agree however with your premise as i cant understand the growing numbers of IR couples but hardly no representation of the community out there. there are tons of info about all other types of couples, even gay ones, but essential no ones about contemporary life as a bm-ww experience.

what do you think that says? is it that we are ashamed of it, or are we not comfortable with the subject matter to write about it.

a great book is by Mark Mathabane, called Love in Black and White

also, on PBS a few years back, they did a wonderful documentary about a contemporary IR family--An American Love Story--it was wonderful, i think i taped it

6. camonorange

camonorange New Member

[x]

7. TamirJackson

TamirJackson New Member

Thanks. I actually exaggerated a bit by stating that I've searched extensively. A quick search at the local Chicago Public Library catalog produced a few IR novels, which are relatively contemporary and realistic:
    Beyond the Rapture (Beverly Clark), The Professor's Daughter: a Novel (Emily Raboteau), Walking Bone (Charlotte Carter), Black White Love Part II (Loraine Elijah Brown).

8. JUANMACKER

JUANMACKER Active Member

"Alien: A girl from another planet looking for love"

"Alien: A girl from another planet looking for love" is a rare IR novel dealing with a BM/WW.

Most IR novels are BW/WM as if a black man interracial relationship with a white women in books are so abhorrent. I wrote this book to refute that. Here is the sypnosis:

A Sci-Fi Romantic Drama about a female human Alien from another planet, Omnibus, which parallels the Planet Earth, arrives on Earth. A great meteor destroyed the Planet Omnibus. April Sancral’s spirit traveled to Earth and possessed someone’s body and lived the rest of her life on Earth. She discovered she has special powers. But at heart, she is just a girl from another planet looking for love.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had read the novelization from the the Battle For The Planet Of The Apes. There was a budding IR relationship between MacDonald's brother and a white woman simply named Nurse. It was a brief scene where MacDonald is about to go off on the journey to the old city with Caesar and Virgil. MacDonald and Nurse shared a kiss in that scene. It is too bad that the relationship wasn't explored in the film.

10. Saint

Saint Member

It was okay, not up to his usual standard though. I don't think he had much experience to go on when writing it.

I've been toying with the idea of writing one myself, but it will have to wait.

11. Saint

Saint Member

Interesting. I would read it.

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Actually read this and it was pretty good.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I've written a detective novella. But it takes some time before my main protagonist is in a relationship with his woman(who happens to be white). Their relationship is loving and tender. He works hard to provide a good home for them both. It took me 27 years to write it. I thought I was finished 2 years ago but I wasn't satisfied and kept on writing. Now, it is done. But to write a straight-up IR romance novel, in this case, the story must be lived in order to be told, IMHO.