Are you happy with your job?

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by goodlove8, Sep 4, 2016.

1. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Thankfully... I am very happy with my job. My salary could stand to be a bit higher, but I really can't say I'm underpaid. Awesome boss, great benefits and I'm so thankful. I realize that many people drag themselves to jobs in which they're unhappy for a variety of reasons, and again I know I'm fortunate to not be in that position

3. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Cool. It's great to be at a job you're satisfied with

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

No. I am not happy with my job. But I am on survival mode and living in Homestead which is a combination of Tatooine and The Dagobah system.

5. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I can dig that. It stinks though to be somewhere you don't like tho

6. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I can absolutely see depression being rampant in financial industries. I worked at a stock brokerage firm for a minute when I was younger and the tension was palpable when things weren't going as the traders wanted. It was *horrible*. I lasted just over a year but knew immediately that I needed back in the medical field.

I love every aspect of my job that entails patient care. I don't like the politics involved in healthcare but I try to side step that bs as much as possible and keep our focus on our patients. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't stop my education until I hit NP at a minimum. If I could keep my salary but just do the nursing piece of my job, not the admin responsibilities that I have, I'd be the happiest girl in the world. Unfortunately the good money in nursing involves getting into management. Thank God my position allows me daily involvement in direct patient care, otherwise the admin parts would never be worth it

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The irony is that Homestead is growing. A lot of construction of apartment complexs and condominiums are going up and still one has to wait awhile if you are on a waiting list. Homestead is also quiet, but every now and then, something happens. It just isn't the place for me.

8. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I can imagine stock broking would stink.

9. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Believe it or not, teaching has a high turnover rate

10. DudeNY12

Excellent points, and I'm glad to hear that you love your job.

I'm in the IT field. I'm a Network Administrator at a university. I love that there's always new technology to learn and associated task such as upgrades and so on. I also love working in academia. I think it's an awesome environment.

The downside is that it's incredibly political with lots of big egos roaming the campus, and I go out of my way to avoid this stuff. Also...Thankfully, I don't have to deal with faculty.

11. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Oh I can imagine

12. K

K Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Every so often it's good to get a reminder of why I moved away from HCA.

I love what I do. There are times I wish I could work more. There are when I wish I didn't have to deal with the families and whatever dysfunction they may have. I also really enjoy the things that I do that keep me from working more.

13. DudeNY12

Don't get me wrong... There's definitely some difficult times and people. However, it's mostly a good ride and decent enough example of a career counselor's advice to... Find something you're good at and love to do, then get someone to pay you to do it.

14. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Cool

Cool

It's very different for teaching though

Teaching is ruff

15. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I enjoy working in hotels. The environments are typically low stress, laid back, fun, and exciting. It's also rewarding to make people's day just out of pure kindness. The pay is low but you create numerous benefits for yourself that other people wish they could do on the job if your not scared to live on the edge.

16. DudeNY12

Yes, I understand. I dated a teacher and an administrator. I've always had the highest admiration for teachers and nurses.

It's downright heartbreaking how teachers have to endure so much crap, get little to no support, for a not-so-good salary. It also boggles my mind that teachers have to spend their own money for supplies. If I need a new router or hard disk at work... It's on their dime, and not mine.

Another thing that boggles my mind are these people (especially politicians) who act as if they know more about the education that the professional educators.

Years ago I used to joke that I'd like to teach someday when I'm smart enough. I think the sad truth is... Can I afford the salary cut.

I totally get why so many educators get burned out and soured on the profession.

17. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Good Heavens no! Lol.

Neither my former nor new career tracks are on this list, but are reputed to have high rates of alcoholism.

It's stressful and I'm not sure I will live long enough to realize the full benefit because I switched tracks during my mid-life crisis.

18. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I hate my job. When I graduated with my Master's degree a year and a half ago, I was all excited to FINALLY get out of my crappy job.

That hasn't worked out so well yet. :smt071

If I could do it all over again? I wouldn't have quit working at the museum. I still consider that one of my more dumb moves.

19. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

What do you do

20. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I feel the same way.