lee daniels performing reverse racism?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by goodlove, May 15, 2015.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

No it is not.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

why

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I say he isn't being racist.

I do believe black folks can be racist, it's just that the threshold for what is considered racist is a little different.....this video explains pretty well.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=dw_mRaIHb-M[/YOUTUBE]

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Negro please

Whites have controlled EVERYTHING for so long and have cornered the market

Lee Daniels just wants more black professionals getting work...at least when it comes to writing for those ever shrinking amount of roles featuring black actors

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"...Many pilot characters this year were listed as open to all ethnicities, but when reps would call to inquire about an actor submission, they frequently have been told that only non-Caucasian actors would be considered.

“Basically 50% of the roles in a pilot have to be ethnic, and the mandate goes all the way down to guest parts,” one talent representative said.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/tv-pilots-ethnic-casting-trend-backlash-1201386511/

7. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Emotionally maybe it's cool that Black writers only write for Black characters, but that sentiment doesn't understand the creative process.

You can be White/Black/Chinese, whatever, and still as a writer get into the head of character who isn't of your exact same background.

Lee Daniels point of view would be like saying only women can effectively write for women characters, or only Latina women can write for Latina actors.

The comment IS bigoted, but I understand what he's saying.

However, George Pelecanos and Richard Price(Clockers) are two White guys who grew up in the 'hoods of D.C. and the Bronx, respectively, and have written some of the best Black characters in fiction.

America is really way too diverse and complex to say that ALL White writers are inept when it comes to writing Black characters.

How about we stop giving juicy African American roles to.....BRITISH BLACK ACTORS!????:smt036

What the fuck is that about??

It's part of the reason I didn't see Selma, and why I was bugged by 12 Years A Slave.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  8. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Aboba,those Black Brit actors were ignored by their own Brit Oscars when it came to Selma.

9. andreboba

Not my problem. That's a UK issue.

How about the hundreds of African American actors that were passed over for Lee Daniels and Chiwetel Ejiofor??

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Is it bigoted to recognize that most often when we are talking about the African descendent story that people of non African descendent ancenstry usually don't get it right they more than likely, as history has shown us, got straight for the stereotypical role which is why the Tyrese, Mos Def, Bernie Mac, Ludacris, and Don Cheadle characters in heist movies are pretty much interchangeable as fuck. All comedy relief nearly all making some bs reference to the hood. I'm not saying a non black writer with the talent to write black people doesn't exist but too make examples have shown us that very few draw on that talent to write us.
    Outside of Mr. Glass in Unbrakeable, Nick Fury in Marvel, Mace Windu (trust me the irony isn't lost on me) it's rare that they write a character who I forget is black, I just see a character. It's annoying.

11. andreboba

Most supporting actors in popcorn movies are cliches, White or Black.
    Two dimensional characters with little personal depth, but that's status quo for action movies.

If Lee Daniels is complaining that more Black writers don't write SERIOUS roles for Black actors, he should be much more specific in his critique.

Expecting an Oscar caliber role for a Black character in the next Fast and Furious flick isn't really going to happen.

Personally I don't think there's a great deal of super talented Black screenwriters on the scene right now who are producing special material.

Who watched The Wire??? A ton of White writers on that show.

For Lee Daniels to suggest White folks can't write Black characters makes him sound like such a foreigner.

But I do wish there were more Black writers in Hollywood who weren't trying to be the next Tyler Perry or Shonda Rhimes.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I was just gonna say don't forget The Wire, but you covered it in a later post.
    Great observations, overall.

(I will say also, l get Lee's desire)

13. The Dark King

Exception or the rule? If it were the rule we wouldn't be talking right now

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Meaning? Are you saying if it were the rule ..as in whites writing well for blacks?
    Or blacks writing for blacks.. not sure

15. The Dark King

Meaning that shining the light on two amazing writers doesn't take away from the need to have more talented black writers who can write the black experience outside of the ghettos and stereotypes. I like Shonda Rhimes a lot especially lately but I would love to see a writer/writers writing about navigating corporate America as a black person, touching on ir dating without all the heavy drama, Happy Endings actually did a pretty good job of that, maybe covering thongs outside of the entertainment and sports arena. I would love to see a biopic on the first black millionaire or something else to that effect.

16. andreboba

Agreed. We all would.;)

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I agree.

Lee used a poor choice of words, or he needs to redefine his thinking. I think there's room for both races of writers to write characters for the other race.

Lee is a gay man - imagine of someone told him they hate gays writing for straight characters.

18. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Uh, who is Lee Daniels? I was thinking about the former Republican Speaker of the Illinois House, but he's been out of the spotlight for years.