The self improvement thread: What are you doing to enrich your life?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by 4north1side2, Sep 11, 2016.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

What would you like to improve or work on?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Learning to code
    Adding 5 lbs a month to my max

3. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Trying to learn how to effectively market and build a brand on social media. It's a skill that I am sorely lacking in.

Decide if I'm going to get serious about writing.

Find a way to get into better shape. Really need to increase my endurance and overall energy level.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Continuing to grow a side business by investing more capital for growth. Finally getting back to adding a 2nd foreign language, Spanish.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Man you'll knock that out in no time especially if you like salsa. Check out Mark Anthony, Gloria Estephan, Ceila Cruz, and Juanes from columbia to start.

6. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

There are so many apps that can walk you through different, targeted exercises to tone, strength train and increase your overall health. I have one that cycles me through different exercises that I literally do on a yoga mat in my living room. You can pick one targeted to the areas you want to focus on. So many options through apps now, many are uber inexpensive or even free! When I workout I mentally go somewhere else (which is why I usually run) so it's perfect to have something on my phone that just walks me through my sets and switches up my exercises without me having to even think.

7. samson1701

Thanks for the advice. But, I can't do what most normal people do to get into shape. I end up doing more harm than good.

I'll be seeing a guy (or girl) who specializes in PT for people like myself and that person will design something specific to my condition and fitness level. My big problem is any muscle tissue I damge doesn't repair itself. So, it's a balance of getting my heart rate up without breaking down muscle.

8. RaiderLL

I got you. I knew it wouldn't be as simple as it is for many people but I didn't know the specifics. Good luck to you my friend, I'm sure you'll get someone awesome who whips you into top shape in no time ;) :freehug:

9. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Studying for the MPRE and the bar exam and contemplating a triathlon (short distance one, lol).

10. RaiderLL

I'm focusing on a better work life balance. I'm notorious for having no work life balance. I need to leave work at work, period. I take my patients very seriously and it's hard for me to just leave some things at the door but I need to be able to offer my family the same quality-me that my patients get. It's a work in progress. I don't connect remotely to my work computer from home anymore so now it's just a matter of mentally checking out from work when I'm at home. Its a slow process but I'm making progress I think :smt061

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Work.
    As much as I hate my job, I am thankful that after a few years of unemployment, and having no money of my own, I submit that it's better than nothing.

If I had made a little or a lot more money, I'd do something more about enriching my life and lifestyle.

12. samson1701

Nurses just can't shut the nurse part of their brains off after work. ...lol

Y'all crazy with it, too. For that reason I had a long standing "no nurses" dating policy. Y'all just can't stop helping and shit. Had me like, "Chill your caring ass out, damn. It's just a sneeze!" ...lol

Of course, dafuq I end up with? A nurse. Just an LVN, but still. ...lol

But, you'll figure it out. It's always hard for caring people to compartmentalize that aspect of themselves. They feel like if they don't care, who will? Even if it's their job and there are others to take their places when they're away.

The good thing is you're aware of the need to separate from work. That's a huge step in the right direction.

Nurses still crazy, tho. Like dating a got damn superhero. ...lol

13. RaiderLL

Haha this post made my day. All of it.

I LOVE that you're with a nurse btw! There's really no better partner than a nurse...we love deeply, crazy compassionate and empathetic (to our own downfall sometimes lol), we put others first just out of habit, we're smart and we're useful in emergencies lol. She's a lucky lady though, no doubt. Don't let me catch you saying "just an LVN" again though lol, I'll have to whoop that ass! I like LVNs better than RNs most of the time lol

14. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Nurses and teachers. The two professions in which I have the highest admiration. I've dated just one nurse, but at least 3 teachers and I admit they were some of the best people I've known. Always caring and probably the ultimate humanitarians.

The caring ones definitely catch my attention. Yesterday on the news there was a story about a school bus catching fire, and thankfully everyone got off safely. In the interview with the bus driver... She said "....I knew I had to get my babies off of the bus and to safety". Right there I said to myself.... "She's exactly the type of person we want taking our children to/from school.

On to the topic...I've been so busy at work this year that I haven't done much formal training. I usually do 3-4 courses per year. I'll get back to it. The good news is that a few months ago I took on more tasks, and I'm expecting to get an increase with retroactive pay.

15. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I have numerous areas of my life I need to vastly improve.

Physically listen to my children and others better

I actively listen to them and hear everything they say but I have a habit of having my face in my phone or doing another activity while listening instead of giving them my full undivided attention.

Reminding myself to pause whatever activity I'm doing while someone is talking to me.

Become more approachable

I usually have a face that says don't fuck with me or I hid my face from others to avoid talking to them.

Looking people in the eye and saying hello.

Be more sociable

I have the bad habit of always answering "good" when someones asks me how am I doing no matter how I'm feeling.

Being more honest and truthful about myself. Entertaining small talk instead of avoiding it. Attending different Meet ups on a daily basis forcing me to meet new people.

Be less insecure and more trusting of others

Because of past less than ideal experiences in dealing with people in general, I typically reject people from getting to know me which prevents me from making a real connection with others. I question myself if this person really likes me or finds me strange so it's worth expending my energy on them.

Worrying less about what people are thinking and the outcomes of situations.

Poor vocabulary

My vocabulary deteriorated to the point that I often forget many words I'm thinking of when speaking.

I've been reading a book a week hoping to sponge all the words that I'm reading to expand my vocabulary.

Be less competitive

I look at everything as a competition where I must win. When I lose, I take it very personally.

Trying to just chill out and not dwell on trivial shit.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

I'm focusing on ways to take better care of myself. I tend to drop my own wants/needs first when things come up in life and I think in doing so I have allowed others to not make me a priority too.

This breaks down to different things in every area of life from speaking up for what I want and need to exercising and taking the time to do the things I need to do for myself.

17. The Dark King

Anyone think about what their true purpose is? Are you working on it?

18. z

z Well-Known Member

There is so many areas I would like to improve, I am never satisfied. Right now it would be to work on trust issues, I would like to trust my wife a lot more and give her the benefit of doubt.

19. The Dark King

When the hell did you get married fam lol

20. z

z Well-Known Member

This year,
    Marriage # 2
    Hopefully it will be an everlasting