Astronomy, Interplanetary Travel and Mars Colonization

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Beasty, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm gonna look into what may have caused it to cool when I get some time. I imagine it would take a crazy amount of energy in the form of heat to get it back to rolling again. I think the solution can be found if we really learn all we can about the red planet. There must be a way to extract some energy from the planet and target it at the core in the form of heat. We probably would need a solution to the gas problem of the atmosphere before embarking on this task.

It would be awesome tho.

2. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Earth is probably headed for the same fate. Polar caps melting could be from the core losing heat (a unidentified type of global warming). Jumpstarting could probably be done in the form of a light nuke or something (if it didn't blow from the pressure).
    Just my weird thinking at hand.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that we probably need a team of nuclear scientists and depending on how advanced nuclear science is ( I have virtually no knowledge of nuclear reactions all my related knowledge is of chemical reactions) they could create the elements needed from the elements found on Mars. Once the Scientists have created enough radioactive isotopes. (because nuclear reactions between elements can form other elements unlike chemical reactions which bond different atoms together) then we would need to have a way to plant those isotopes deep within the planet.

After the isotopes are planted deep within the planet we may be able to employ your idea and set off some nuclear reactions to get it really hot down there again. While the nukes start up the initial heat the radioactive isotopes could keep adding to the heat as they decay to keep it hot for millions of years to come.

Or maybe we need to set off the nukes first then plant the isotopes later. Idk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. teddebear07

teddebear07 Active Member

there are pyramids on mars some beings have alreay been there ! lol

5. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

That's the whole point. You can come back. You face radiation on the way to mars and on the way to the moon. You face radiation on mars (no matter the amount, as long as it's enough to kill you, who cares?) and on the moon. Difference is, with the moon you can come back. Just like you can come back from the space station. That's big. You're just being argumentative. :smt003

As I said, it's a stepping stone technologically. A moon base is also more feasible, and in the long run (a.k.a waaaaaaaaaaay before anyone could possible "terraform" mars), the moon could serve as a launch pad for other space missions.

Okay --instead of dropping you from the roof of a 140 story building, I'll drop you from the roof of a 130 story building. Score one for the 130 story building.

You mean like the oxygen in the H2O on the moon? Do you even science bro?

Don't forget the trip there, and don't forget the lower gravity on Mars -- which you can't come back from. Low gravity for a few weeks, vs low gravity with no return. Tell everyone which you would choose, so they can laugh at you.

Terraforming mars is science fiction. If you think Musk can do that, I really don't know what to tell you. Mars is a planet dude. A planet.

Jeesh -- all I can say is it's a good thing you didn't make science your vocation.

6. medullaslashin

musk talked about going to mars.
    obama talked about going to mars.
    bush talked about going to mars.

What's with this constant "end of administration" talk of going to mars? I'll tell you what it is -- it's bullshit. :mrgreen:

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol.......I'm sure that's all you can say. Anyone could have came up with that. Bottom line is that you don't have logic to support your position that the moon is a stepping stone to mars or that mars is not more hospitable than the moon.

You have no idea what my background is. I've worked on technology that's used in flight. Miss me with your hubris.

Have fun using your water for oxygen. I can think of other uses for water.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Cher said she's headed for Jupiter.

9. medullaslashin

A dangerous trip you can return from, vs a dangerous trip with no return.

A trip that's been done before, vs a trip with many "unknown unknowns"..

A trip with a payoff of helium three, great science & tourism that the rich would drool over, vs basically a "one off" suicide mission.

Okay - you got me on "logic". :smt083 You win the pork chop, bro. :mrgreen:

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Your unproved assumption is that you know more about business and science than musk.

Lol

You can drop them jewels any day now. :smt005

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Kepler 186f

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Elon Musk says SpaceX is developing a 'bleeding' heavy-metal rocket ship. Making it work may be 100 times as hard as NASA's most difficult Mars mission, one expert says.
    [​IMG]
    An illustration of SpaceX's upcoming Starship spaceship and Super Heavy rocket booster. Musk says the launch system will be crafted from stainless-steel alloys polished to a mirror-like finish.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/spa...e3b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com
    [​IMG]
    NASA's space shuttle Challenger launches from Cape Canaveral, Florida, on January 28, 1986, disturbing nearby flocks of birds.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Turns out that they are thinking about heating the polar caps. This is a good comprehensive video. Start 8min in.
    Your kids might live on Mars. Here's how they'll survive

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Infrared view of the Orion Nebula from HAWK-I
    1,344 light years away and expands the distance of about 25 light years.
    [​IMG]

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Image from the hubble of two galaxies colliding 230 million years ago inside the Hercules constellation.
    [​IMG]

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The Andromeda

It will collide with the milky about 4 billion years from now. It's the closest spiral galaxy to us at 2.5 million light years away.
    [​IMG]

A galactic year is about 250 million years. The last time the earth was in this position in the milky way the dinosaurs were just beginning to walk the earth.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member