Woman spank kids for stealing but she goes to jail

Discussion in 'In the News' started by goodlove8, Jun 24, 2016.

1. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

http://www.wbrz.com/news/mom-though...ng-when-she-whipped-kids-who-broke-into-home/

Mom thought she was doing the right thing when she whipped kids who broke into home.

--------------
    BATON ROUGE - A Baton Rouge mother who was arrested by East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's deputies after she admitted to whipping her sons as punishment for breaking into a house has bonded out of jail. She told our cameras she thought she was doing the right thing by disciplining her children.

30-year-old Schaquana Spears was booked on child cruelty charges Monday morning.

The arrest reports says her 13-year-old reportedly told East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office detectives that Spears had struck him with an RCA cord multiple times. The boy had cuts on both arms and marks across his body, according to investigators.

The other two boys, aged 10 and 12, also had injuries, according to arrest documents.

Spears was booked into the parish prison on two counts of cruelty to juveniles with bond set at $2,500.

District Attorney Hillar Moore released a statement about the incident:

"Parents have the right and obligation to discipline and teach their children. We often time see children who have no parental authority or discipline which eventually results in delinquency and criminal acts. We need more parents who discipline their children. Surely you would expect a parent to discipline a child who is burglarizing other people’s homes as this could be a deadly encounter for the child. The degree of physical discipline will be reviewed. The law does not allow excessive pain or cruelty but does allow physical parental discipline. I only have the short synopsis which does indicate that the discipline resulted in marks on the child’s body and possibly an open wound. I will review all of the reports; meet with the DCFS office and review any history of this mother and her children to get a better picture of the entire family dynamics before making a decision. In the meantime my office is working with the juvenile court to ensure the speedy release of the mother under conditions satisfactory to the court."

News 2's Brett Buffington was there when Spears bonded out of jail Tuesday night.

"They're just being kids, being followers," Spears said. "I thought I was showing them this is not what you do. You do not steal people's stuff, what they work hard for. I know how that feels, I've had my house broken into."

She told News 2 that someone saw her story on TV and showed up to post her bond for her.

Read the rest of the story provided by the link
    -----------------------

Did the government go too far?

2. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

It was the right thing to do.

3. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

child steals once, Mother spanks

child steals twice, Mother spanks

child steals a third time, Mother spanks

When the f does the mother figure out that her tactics do not work?

There's more to the story like dad in prison and how many kids?

This crap started long before the kids were stealing. The kids' theft is just a symptom of poor planning on both mom and dad.

4. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Her son was the one who told authorities so it sounds like a mom's word vs kid's word situation.

5. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Mom left marks on those back sides

6. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

[​IMG]

7. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I don't agree with some adult woman beating up adolescents. I can only hope this doesn't affect those kids in adulthood (it probably will).

8. darkwawyer

darkwawyer Member

Quiet time in the corner isn't something you can do to a child after they are 8 y/o. You have to keep them in line even if that means spanking. You try both approaches.

You guys who don't believe in discipline are the same one's clinching your purses, crossing the street when you see them coming or (dudes) sitting their scared to say something because the kid might kick your ass. You guys think that by some other miracle this kid is gonna make it through life deserve to get jacked or robbed by him/her later.

Sorry, I'm about spankin' that ass. When they threaten to take a parent's kid away and the parent says, "go ahead" they back peddle. People trying to raise other people's children and those parents now trying to let "the system" (school, child welfare office, gov't, etc) raise their children. Now we have a bunch of dumb fucks playing the knock out game, running around with their pants off their ass, dropping out of school, smokin' weed all day...all of the girls are online turning tricks. The school system is now pushing, "Home Schooling" because they don't want to responsibility of your retarded kid or the law suite from the teacher he beat in the middle of class. It's a hot mess...all because parents aren't allowed to be parents. Put that foot in his/her ass.

it's not just that, "times are changing"....We didn't have all of this retarded shit going on when parents were allowed to be parents. This is another dumb ass shift/agenda that the power's that be are pushing and once we go too far down that road, we can't go back.

9. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

ooooh my mother would have been locked up for life. :cool:

10. meowkittenmeow

My parents used to beat the shit out of me. But, I can't really see the benefits of beating some under developed child, even if you can.

11. K

K Well-Known Member

hmm How many children have you raised?

I got news for you....a huge part of the issue is that many parents don't want and do not take responsibility for raising their children. It isn't about that they aren't allowed to. It's more that people have children thinking everyone else will do their job for them. We are going to have kids and not alter our lives one bit. Have kids because it's the thing to do and all part of some image. Dump them at the sitter at 6 weeks old, get them into the school as early as possible (preschool, even toddler programs) lets have them have longer year round school programs with before and after care on campus. Let's expect the school to teach them everything from basic hygiene, socialization, and traditional subjects. Yet we know that we are failing miserably at just the basic subjects when it comes to teaching our children in the schools. Don't forget taking away music, sports, art and anything that is now "fluff" (which now includes science and history in some areas) Oh yah and how about we go put them on a few medications and label them with a bunch of issues if they aren't sitting with the glazed over look like the zombies they are expected to be.

One of the major issues going on is that you don't start parenting at 8 or 12 or 15. You start at birth and are consistent every single day looking at more than immediate gratification and the easiest route. Parents can't be acting like it's "cute" when their sassy little brat back talks them and then wonder why the kid turns into such a shit when they are not so lil and cute and they are behaving the same ways the parents thought were so adorable a few years earlier.

All children....all people have things that motivate them and that are their currency in life. Things that will make a difference to them. You figure out what that is (it's going to change at different ages and stages for each child) and you deal with that. Again, consistency is key. But yah it's not the easiest way and it takes the parent actually parenting. Here's a thought too...maybe it would be a good idea for people to be proactive rather than reactive.

12. darkwawyer

darkwawyer Member

I'm not just talking sideways out of my mouth. I've raised a few of them and have helped out with others (lots of single moms out there). As mentioned before, I have 4 sisters. I play a major role everywhere. So far, in my family, none in jail and a few through college. I can honestly say I'm proud of them. Not once has quiet time deterred them from eventually getting a spanking. Quiet time probably helped to keep from spankings starting at a earlier point of time. Spanking stops by 13 and serious talks and serious groundings start. At 18, have your shit together (college) or be ready to get the boot. Won't be no running around, getting high/drunk, fuckin' like rabbits and sleeping all day. If they wanna do that they do it under a roof they pay for.

13. K

K Well-Known Member

There are all sorts of options that work besides quiet time (time out) and spankings. Logical consequences typically will work much better.

14. darkwawyer

darkwawyer Member

Please do tell :)

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This is some soft served shit. I thank God everyday I got my ass whooped as a kid. It kept me on the straight and narrow, it kept me from doing shit that would have messed up life. I didn't do the right thing growing up because I knew it was the right thing I did it because I was terrified of my parents. I stayed home a lot as a kid and just read instead of doing a lot more dumb shit than I would have done otherwise.
    There are some kids that words won't reach, you can talk and talk and talk and it just won't register. Sometimes a good ass whooping will convey a message that will do more than a month's worth of talking.
    Now there is a huge difference between discipline and abuse but dismissing the fact that some kids actually NEED physical discipline to actually get it is naive.
    Better their mother whoop that ass than the nonstop ass whooping they'd get in jail.

16. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Problem is that the spanking isn't working. They are heading to jail or prison. How one person can think they can raise 6 children on their own is insane. She can't do it and that is why those kids are the way they are. They need to honestly be removed from the house but I don't think people should have to pay for her not being able to take care of 6 kids which is what the state is doing. No real solution just lost kids that will not amount to much given their limited options.

17. K

K Well-Known Member

I already did - it's called logical consequences. I don't have the time, energy, or interest in detailing it out on here. It's something that I've done with my own children (and many others) for 28+ years now. It's not a simple one size fits all method.

Clearly "spankings" (or whipping with electrical cords) is not working in this case. I'm quite sure she's been using that method before this incident and it hasn't worked.

18. meowkittenmeow

Agreed. A lot of people act like spanking kids is somehow going to save the black community. We have been doing that shit for decades and the community hasn't miraculously changed. The reality is that although a lot of us (in the forum) were beaten into submission by abusive parents, and a lot of us feel like somehow we are better for it... based on the past and current state of our community... those who benefit from abuse are the minority, not the majority.

19. darkwawyer

darkwawyer Member

There are so many factors to take into consideration, but who said that spanking wasn't working? Did anyone ever conduct a survey that compared the two? I doubt it. You get one or two people in the wrong position and they can start a wave of shit. I don't remember car jackings; kids walking into public locations and unloading weapons/killing people; I've never heard of people having sex slaves buried in a hole in their backyard; you didn't have to ride public transportation with kids talking loud, cussing or bullying; the jails weren't "overcrowded"; teachers weren't fearful to keep their classroom in order (not all areas);...I certainly don't remember the "knock out game"...mental illness is at an all time high. All that stuff came after the new age theory that spanking is bad...

...can someone please tell me what benefit or improvement they've seen since they started enforcing a "No Spanking" policy? Anyone?:smt102

Like I said, people make decisions and society starts down a road where we can't come back from it. We just keep descending down, down, down. Pretty soon we will be Well Dressed Neanderthals. Looking good, but no morals and no respect towards one another.

20. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

There has been studies saying spanking doesn't work. I never spanked my child and she is doing well so far. I'm not a fan of spanking but I do believe spanking should be in schools.

There are ways to disciplining your child without spanking. The problem is that parents seek the easy way out is raising their child example tv and yelling and spanking.

Raising a child is to teach a child. You teach a child about right and wrong , giving them hope and high expectations and not simply putting clothes on their back and food in their mouths.

People always say 'these kids today are wimps or whatever (just fill in the blank). I respond " they are sometimes a reflection of those that raised them."