Car talk

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by goodlove, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Pictures don't do the Lamborghini Aventador justice, and even the pictures of the car are absolutely amazing.

It's seriously such a stunner in-person. Call me crazy but I've never been a fan of 'fold up' doors. Traditional door hinges just look so much better, which is one of the reasons why I favor Ferrari over Lamborghini. (And yes, the Gallardo/Huracan both have traditional hinges).

That being said, if I could afford a Lamborghini or McLaren, the doors would't stop me from buying it. :cool:

3. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Seems like a over sized hot wheels car to me. I'm traffic they are hilarously small. Haven't drove a lambo but I have driven. Audi r8 and other cars near its size. At 6ft tall I find them to be a bitch to get in and out of. Also I feel like I'm in rolling death trap because of the shitty blind spots.

4. LA

LA Well-Known Member

The R8, Gallardo/Huracan/McLaren are very small supercars. They're compact cars, to be exact.

On the other hand, Ferrari actually makes some reasonably sized cars, especially for people at or around 6ft or taller.

And pretty much most supercars (as well as most sports cars), have terrible blind spots and/or little headroom.

5. 4north1side2

Your right and now I think about it, every Rari I've seen were regular sizes in comparison. You reminded me how crazy good Ferrari engines sound, especially the 599. Woooo, I had a eargasm when I heard it.

6. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I'd love to drive some supercars, but in terms of owning... I'm way to practical, in that I'd simply want a fast 4-door car. I'd be the guy pushing something like an Cadi CTS-V. Heck, I'd even take a serious sleeper like the Chevy SS with a 6-speed manual.

7. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Ferrari GTC4 Lusso - interior :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder why the Evo is being discontinued, it's four door and 4wd. I can care less about practicality, but I know there are people out there that do.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Out west you need a sports car and a jeep. The most fun I ever had off road was in a remote Nevada desert in some dirt paths.

10. 4north1side2

Me too. I've drove all types of cars and they all pretty much seem the same to me now days. Just give me a car with high reliablity, great mpg and I'm good to go. Living in the city, I'm a huge fan of mid size and smaller cars. Heck of a feeling when your able to slide up in a tight parking space with ease during busy traffic whereas you see people in their land yatchs circling the block over n over for a space or having the hardest time ever parallel parking.

I used to want a bmw 745li sooooo bad back in the day but some guy belittled me something serious back in the day about buying one. Embarrassing as that verbal ass whooping was, he saved me from buying a money pit.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. DudeNY12

Agreed! I'll be the first to admit that BMWs are great driver cars. Just tons of fun, but I always say that in terms of cars... One of the worse money decisions one can make is to buy and aging European car. A buddy once bragged about getting a BMW 540i wagon cheap, and how fast it was. All I could think of was that the upkeep would kill him. I think his car was a '00 model, and he bought it two years ago. He's still crying the blues.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

13. 4north1side2

Yeah, a childhood of mines brought this sexy thing here recently used

[​IMG]

Only lasted a few months and now it's undrivable. I forgot the issue it has.

14. LA

LA Well-Known Member

What year and how many miles does it have?

Is it a hpfp (fuel pump) issue?

15. 4north1side2

Not sure. All I remember he saying something fucked up with it and he had to do a rolling start to get it going. The rolling start trick wasn't working no more when I go in it. He took it to a mechanic and the mechanic said the car was done.

16. DudeNY12

Man, that sucks. I see and hear of someone getting drawn in often. There a lady at work whose husband recently purchased a used M-B CLK430 convertible. Looks to be the '97-'03 version. The car looks great, but my first though was.... I wish them the best. Sadly, they're finding that his car is a money pit.

17. LA

LA Well-Known Member

If anyone plans on getting a German car, get a brand new one and lease it. No point in trying to own the vehicle.

Most people that drive them lease them anyways.

The people that get burned are those that buy them used when the problems start to kick in and the manufacturer warranty has already expired.

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

really?

Besides starter and alternator (people whine when those goes out in any car. Those things usually goes out at 100k) is it really that bad?

19. DudeNY12

Yes, a starter and alternator will eventually wear out on any car. Alternators can be pricey to replace, but some cars just tend to do much better than German cars in terms of reliability. I have an '06 Acura TL with 160k miles. My one failed mechanical part was my starter. My buddy with his 2011 BMW 550i has been in for repairs many times despite my car being 5 years older.

A lot of luxury cars (especially the German makes) are loaded with all sorts of gadgets/sensors and so on. A lot of that stuff starts failing as the cars age. It's kinda expected but the problem the parts tend to be really pricey. Labor is expensive as well, and often enough you need special tools. Something they do intentionally to foil the DIY'ers.

I know last summer the lady said her husband's car was in the shop at least 3 times for mysterious issues. Even the convertible mechanism was having issues.

As I said, I absolutely love the driver experience of high-end German cars, but I have zero patience for problem cars. If I went German, I'd get it new, and get rid of it before the warranty expired.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Ok.

Yeah people love the romance in getting them but don't think of the cost of keeping it running