Signs, signs, everywhere signs

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Bookworm616, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Do any of you believe that the universe gives you signs when you're supposed to do something?

I think we all receive signs and it's up to us to see the signs.

I've been thinking a lot about the signs the universe gives us - and how I believe I'm receiving signs right now. Though the signs I'm receiving are confusing to me, as I've NEVER expressed an interest in what the signs are showing me.

It's weird.

Most people see one person's signs as mere coincidence, and I think maybe sometimes it is just a coincidence, but when the signs being shown involve something that's not so common, it makes me think there's something more to it than just coincidence.

Do you believe we receive signs from the universe? If so, why, if not, why not?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Nope we make up meaning. The universe is completely indifferent to us. Whether we're here or not makes no difference

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

No, but it could be that you are becoming conscience of something that you were not aware of before. In that case you have to understand that it was always there to begin with.

I agree with TDK about meaning, we basically make that up. The mind loves to fill in the blanks.

4. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

I agree.

I don't believe in 'signs'. I believe that at certain times in our lives things we see or experience trigger understanding of other things. It's completely a product of our own mind. I don't think the universe gives a damn, honestly. :smt081 That, of course, doesn't diminish the understanding and/or clarity you gained from the experience.

5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

blunt and to the point but correct.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The universe has different plans for each of us. Or God, if you choose. I think that it is up to the individual. Sometimes things just happen to us. It took me a while to understand that I wasn't boyfriend or husband material. Or that I have to make a change in my life and myself. I would like to say that I have a connection to the universe. But even I don't think that I can dance to the music the universe plays.

7. Bookworm616

Thank you, everyone, for your perspectives.

They've helped a lot in trying to figure out what keeps appearing in my life.

8. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Beautiful answer.

9. Bookworm616

I thought this was the best answer. I tried to make myself believe that this was likely the reason.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to share the reason I was asking this question, because like I said in my original post, it's confusing.

But, okay, I guess I'll share.

I'm not talking about seeing signs that I should be watching The Walking Dead or something as common as that.

Ever since the movie "Everest" came out, I'd been obsessed with seeing it. I'm not entirely sure why (other than Jake Gyllenhaal being in it :smt081 ), but I digress.

As the movie came out, my child-free weekends were so freaking busy that I couldn't see it. I FINALLY got a chance to see it. It was good, not great. But, like other movies based on real-life situations, I looked up the story behind the movie.

Long story short, I became "obsessed" with Mount Everest and the Seven Summits challenge for a few days. It's fascinating to me, even though I think (and especially AFTER seeing the movie) that people who climb Mt. Everest must be completely insane. LOL.

Anyway, the next week, I was looking up movies on Flixster because I was bored. Haha. I noticed that Everest wasn't at the theater anymore. I breathed a sigh of relief that I made it just in time. Stupid, I know, but I thought it would be a good movie to experience on the big screen, and I was right.

Okay, anyway, no big deal. The movie, like every other movie, left the theater.

A couple of weeks later, as my obsession with all things mountain climbing and Everest was beginning to wane, I opened up the quarterly newsletter that my company distributes to everyone around the world. I'm flipping through it, and there in the pages dedicated to random employees that they "interview", there is an article about an employee in one of our Canadian offices that was invited on an expedition to Everest and she went (they didn't climb to the summit) in March of this year. There was a picture of her holding the company banner.

Weird, right?

Then a couple of days later, I'm watching Tim Allen's show "Last Man Standing" and his character is the owner of a sporting goods store. At the end of every show, they show his vlog and that night, his vlog was about...George Mallory and one of his Mount Everest expeditions.

WTF?? is what I'm thinking at this point.

So, I start this thread and read all of the responses.

As I've NEVER once ever expressed a desire to climb Mount Everest (or any mountain for that matter) and the only time I've ever been on a mountain was to ski down it, I was perplexed by the sheer randomness of Mount Everest popping up.

That's not a subject matter that comes up in every day conversation.

I decide to look at Beasty's response and think to myself, these "signs" are just telling me that I should be more adventurous and get out traveling places. Yeah, that's it.

Then 2 days ago, I'm in Kohl's with my daughter. We were looking at all of the Christmas decorations they have and just having a ton of fun. We stop at a different place in the store and she's having fun trying on different things.

I'm standing in the aisle facing the department. I turn around for some reason and BAM right in front of my face is an aisle kiosk with SHERPA blankets on them.

WTF??

There is no way the universe is trying to tell me that I should climb Mount Everest, right?

But, the sheer random places that the mountain is popping up in my life is giving me pause.

So confusing.

I really don't want to die on a mountain. :smt081

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

With all things considered, a change of scenery can do a person a lot of good. Mountain climbing is challenging. At the end of that, or any other challenge, one finds not only the objective, but themselves. I say go and research all that you can about mountain climbing. Train physically, mentally emotionally and spiritually. Research equipment, also. Network . You're on your way to something unique in you life. Take your time. The journey is more important than the destination.:smt023

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I attained the best cardio conditioning in the shortest amount of time when I trained and lived in the NC mountains. Training in high altitude environments can work wonders for your stamina. Running and swimming was the bulk of my cardio routine.

If you decide to climb Mt Everest you will need to train in the mountains as much as possible.

I plan on looking into the affects of masks like this that are supposed to mimic a high altitude environment. I have only known one person that has actually used one on a regular basis. http://www.trainingmask.com/training-mask-2-0/

There is no substitute for living in a high altitude environment but I figured it may be worth looking into.

12. Bookworm616

Thanks for the info!

I doubt I will ever find myself anywhere near Nepal, but I've learned to never say never in life.

I didn't know those masks existed and I have to say, they kind of make you look like you're Bane, LOL, but I digress.

I do need to get into shape. I didn't think about the mountain training as a way to quicken the pace of it.

Living in the prairie state will make it difficult to do that kind of training. But the Bane mask sounds like it would help.

Thanks!!