Whites See "Black" Americans as less competent than "African" Americans

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by VitaminRich, Jan 4, 2015.

1. VitaminRich

VitaminRich New Member

Study: White people see "Black Americans" as less competent than "African Americans"

Calling someone black instead of African American could cast the person in a more negative light, according to a new study.

The research, to be published this month in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, found white people characterize a "black" person as belonging to a lower socioeconomic status, being less competent, and having a less inviting personality than an "African-American" person. And this difference in perception could have an impact on African Americans in various settings, from the labor market to the criminal justice system.

Researchers, led by Emory University's Erika Hall, came to these results by conducting multiple studies in which they asked different groups of white people to evaluate individuals and groups through hypothetical scenarios.

The Atlantic's Joe Pinsker reported:

In one of the study's experiments, subjects were given a brief description of a man from Chicago with the last name Williams. To one group, he was identified as "African-American," and another was told he was "Black." With little else to go on, they were asked to estimate Mr. Williams's salary, professional standing, and educational background.

The "African-American" group estimated that he earned about $37,000 a year and had a two-year college degree. The "Black" group, on the other hand, put his salary at about $29,000, and guessed that he had only "some" college experience. Nearly three-quarters of the first group guessed that Mr. Williams worked at a managerial level, while 38.5 percent of the second group thought so.

Previous research supports the results

A 2001 study from City University of New York researcher Gina Philogène also found the term "black" is associated with more negativity than "African American."

And previous research unrelated to race has suggested that differences in language can be fairly important. A 1988 study from researchers Irwin Levin and Gary Gaeth, for example, found consumers are more favorable to ground beef that's labeled as "75 percent lean" than beef described as "25 percent fat."

Summarizing these findings for their recent study, Emory University's Hall and her colleagues wrote, "Contrary to Shakespeare's notion that 'a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet,' studies have shown that the labels individuals apply to objects, ideas, or other people often affect their perceptions of and reactions toward those entities."

Language matters

These differences in language can seem abstract, but researchers say they can have serious effects on public opinion and individuals.

For one, it could impact a person's chances of gaining employment. If someone submits a résumé in which he describes himself as black instead of African American, the research suggests that it could raise bad connotations — potentially reducing the chances of getting hired.

The difference in language could impact criminal justice system, where racial disparities are already a problem. Researchers pointed out that presenting a defendant as black instead of African American could, based on the studies' results, affect how a jury perceives the evidence presented to it and ultimately reaches a decision.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Next article

Blacks see Whites as Racist Oppressors

3. MixedCalifornian

MixedCalifornian Active Member

LOL.......Ok......Honestly I have never understood the term African-American. All this study shows to me is that America is retarded when it comes to race and nationality...Whats even more hilarious is that my black side of the family has been in America longer than my white side of the family......Yet some people find it difficult to wrap their heads around the idea that we can be like the rest the world and identify ourselves on nationality rather then just using skin tone.

I have met people with blonde hair and blue eyes that are way more African than any American black person calling themselves an "African-American." As well as people pitch as black that are more European than any white person in the states.

4. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

Why would an Eagle care how a turkey sees him????

5. SexyBaltimorean

SexyBaltimorean New Member

^^agreed. This stupid-@$$ article makes absolutely NO sense at all. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with the price of tea in China.........LOL!!

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Good thing i always refer to myself as negro...eliminates this whole article completely

Yessa massa I iz a comin

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

People may generally have a stupid way of thinking but that doesn't mean the article is dumb for simply pointing it out. Not all whites think this way of course.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The title could have been worded better.

9. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

I wonder if Falcons care what chickens say about them.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

To me language perception is interesting and the climate of racism in America is just noise in the background. Who puts race or ethnicity on their resume anyway? They could have been comparing words that had nothing to do with race relations and I would have seen it the same way. That's how we differ.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

In France that shit is common practice, they require a picture too

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

It's a known fact to omit memberships within black organizations when applying for jobs (unless ur potential employer caters to the black community)

I've had this discussion years ago with fellow employees and it's unfortunate because membership in a black student union for example, goes beyond 'black power, kill whitey' and should be something you are proud of.

Black student unions exist to provide black students with a network capable of addressing issues that may develop based on race, among other things. They're there to help black students be part of something bigger than themselves and succeed in a nation with a real racism problem towards people of color. Having to omit that from a resume so people don't assume you're black (or 'too black') just clarifies why such unions are there in the first place

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't know that.
    Good points here.

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

It's a pretty shitty deal when black grads from elite schools feel compelled to change their names on resumes, in hopes of getting more job callbacks

All of this shit is related

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Keep your mouth shut and just take the bs. Smh

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

LOL

Hell no this 'fifth column' attitude was seeded in me by white liberal professors who had jack shit to do with the sociology or psychology departments (you know...the usual suspects)

Everyone from the physics department to the french department be like 'stick it to the man, Hebrew'

17. qwils86

qwils86 New Member

If this isn't the biggest flock of bullshit that I've read for the 2015! Smh

18. Otis

Otis New Member

I can see that.

It may not be right, but it is absolutely true. The Black Middle Class has (largely) embraced the term as a descriptor. Hell, I've always considered an "African-American" to be someone that had dough.

Truth is, I used to run around & tell people whenever the topic came up that I'm too broke to be an African-American.

When I hear the term, I think of Jesse Jackson. And I do not enjoy the living standard that he does.

Language matters people. It colors perception.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Interesting way to look at it.
    On side note, l'm listening right now to an interview with Lou Gosett Jr. on coast to coast am, and he said that at this stage of life in this country, he feels he is American-african.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

[​IMG]